Pond Boss
Posted By: big_pond Deep water!! - 08/10/04 02:35 AM
What if any, are the advantages to haveing deep water?? Because, I am sure going to have a lot of it...
My lake is going to be around 30 to 20 feet deep in in about 50% of the lake. Is there any way possible to take advantage of this???
There has got to be somthing good in this amount of depth...

thanks..
Posted By: J.a.g Re: Deep water!! - 08/10/04 03:26 AM
I'm not a expert but I do know from experience that crappie like deep and big bluegill like the drop off edges of deep water in summer. I guess one thing can be good is that a major drought could hit and you would still have a pretty full hole.
Posted By: J.a.g Re: Deep water!! - 08/10/04 03:40 AM
Thanks man, great forum i'm looking to helping people and learning as much as i can. Thanks again!
Posted By: big_pond Re: Deep water!! - 08/10/04 02:47 PM
Well I have a lot of places that drop almost 20 feet straight down....some people suggest that it would be good for fertalization...I have well over 100 acre feet of water!!..

could someone else help??
Posted By: fish Re: Deep water!! - 08/10/04 04:03 PM
big pond,why dont you take some of the dirt and make ridges with all this deep water.you will see ray scott did this with his lake.it also worked very well for me,i took dirt and made these ridges about 10-15 feet wide and 6-8 feet tall.now you have water that is about 6 'deep on top falling down to 20'.not sure were you live but i dont think you would have any fish below the 10'depth.it's also cheeper moving the dirt and you have a place to put it,rather than hauling long distance to get it out of hole.
Posted By: Svoberts Re: Deep water!! - 08/11/04 01:29 AM
What would be the effect of aeration at those deep levels? Would fish be more likely to inhabit the deeper areas?
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: Deep water!! - 08/11/04 10:44 AM
It probably won't stay that deep forever. You will have silt washing in and a lot of sand usually comes in off the sides when it starts filling. In my area, rain can be a rare blessing and having a deep water hole during dry times pays off. Prior to our record breaking July rains, I was 7 ft. low. You can pump some of it to get your bermuda growing on the dam. I did and that is the only reason I have any grass.
© Pond Boss Forum