Pond Boss
Posted By: VAPond2003 Where are my Catfish!!! - 06/14/04 08:29 PM
about a week ago i stocked my 3/4 acre pond with 25 channel catfish, 6 -8 inches. It's already stocked w/ blue gills and bass. I feed my bluegill about twice a day and I have yet to see one whisker face come up to eat \:\( I did find 1 dead on the shore the day after i stocked it but it was a smaller one of the batch and i haven't found any more since, so there's at least 24 left hopefully? does it just take alot of time before catfish come up and eat? should i wait till late evening to look for them? I did get them from a fish farm so i assume they are already acustom to coming to shore and feeding. anyone else have a similar expierience.?
Posted By: Eastland Re: Where are my Catfish!!! - 06/14/04 10:33 PM
Patience is the key...a common word in the pond world. Most likely your catfish are fine, they generally take around 3 weeks or more to find the food. Make sure to establish a pattern, feed at the same time every day, and just before feeding, go to the waters edge, take a rock in hand, and smack it against one on the shore...kind of like a dinner bell. I've seen catfish that would start hitting the surface even before the first handful of food went in. Most of all, when you carry the food, use a WHITE bucket ! \:\)
© Pond Boss Forum