Pond Boss
Posted By: kjmiller fathead minnows - 05/10/04 02:46 PM
What kind of habitat do minnows need to successfully populate a pond? Are too few or too many usually the biggest concern? thanks, Kevin
Posted By: ken Re: fathead minnows - 05/10/04 09:05 PM
fathead minnows lay their eggs on things, christmas trees , wooden pallets , couple ft. deep. never have to many as long as ya got some predators. i just put some pallets in to give them some breeding habitat , getting costly buying them. \:\)
Posted By: Bob Koerber Re: fathead minnows - 05/11/04 12:08 PM
You can also use 4 inch pvc cut about 2 ft long and in half. Stick them into the bottom at an angle towards the deep water. They will lay eggs on the underside. Has worked for me quite well.
Posted By: CATMANDEW Re: fathead minnows - 05/14/04 11:11 PM
When I buy or build my pond within the next five years, I am going to line the entire bank with a rock rip rap. I would think that this would serve several purposes.

1. It should provide places for prey to lay eggs, grow big, and somewhat hide from predators.

2. It should reduce siltation/runoff.

3. It should lure predator fish in close to shore where they will be easy for you to track and catch.

My plan is to rent/borrow a truck and visit a creek or other such area and collect rocks to use for my pond banks. It will be a slow painful process, but I think it will be worth the work. Anyway, this is my 2 cents worth on this subject. If you decide to go with this idea, let me know how it goes. Good luck!
© Pond Boss Forum