Pond Boss
Posted By: smullins94 where to start - 05/05/04 06:59 PM
I recently purchased property with a pond located on it. The pond is about 1/2 acre in size (round) with the middle around 10 feet deep. Continous flow from a spring. I have two problems that I feel need to be addressed. Filamentous algea is presnt in heavy amounts and one type of weed that is outa control. The weed is emergent and appears to have one semi-round leaf that surfaces, many other leaves below it that alternate the stem, it has sprouts that are white about 3 inches long that stay below the surface. Glyphosate seems to do the trick on the weed after 2 weeks but it keeps coming back (spreading). The weed covers about 1/3 of the pond and is located in 1-3 feet of water. The algea responded to copper sulfate but I am reluctant to continue usgae due to harming the fish. Bass and sunfish are doing well in the pond. Any suggestions on identifying the weed and controling it? and, what about the algea? it wasn't there when I moved in last summer and just bloomed in the last couple months.
Posted By: CATMANDEW Re: where to start - 05/14/04 11:50 PM
Why not get yourself some of those sterile grass carp? I think their called diploid or triploid.
© Pond Boss Forum