Pond Boss
Posted By: harvey dupriest water quality - 04/26/03 09:26 PM
Want to make this as short as poss. something is suspended in my pond in east tx. it's appx. 1/4" long or shorter and thread thin, it's real thick - seems to be just below the surface and down as far as i can see and seems to have a greenish color . have fertilized with Champion water soluble 10-52-4 March 15 & 29 & April 12. I am mixing with water and pouring in the backwash of my ele. trolling moter as i move around the pond. water temp. is 68 deg.deepest water is 8'. is it poss. to much fert? . Have Bass,C-Cat,Bluegill,some sort of minnows,Have had T-Shad stocked but have not seen any.11 tons off lime truck 6/3/02.A stand pipe for overflow taking the bottom water out.Pond is very old.solid oak & sweetgum trees around the pond....Tried to give as much info as poss. ANY HELP ?...Thanks Harvey
Posted By: harvey dupriest Re: water quality - 04/26/03 09:38 PM
Oop's forgot to mention , feeding 1-time a day with 32% floating catfish food...Harvey
Posted By: Pottsy Re: water quality - 04/28/03 06:42 PM
When you say 1/4" long... do you mean whatever you are seeing is seperate "peices" or do the 1/4" pieces join together in a mat or such?
Other then the 1/4" long bit it sounds like filamentous algae....
Posted By: harvey dupriest Re: water quality - 04/30/03 08:45 PM
Pottsy,yes these are separate pieces in the water real close together as far down in the water as i can see.
Posted By: harvey dupriest Re: water quality - 05/03/03 09:01 PM
Pottsy-Just came home from pond today. the water has changed. the water is full of small particles as deep as you can see , also floating on the surface are diff. sizes of bright green splotches that disintgrate if touched,algie of some sort ? also a whitish scum on the surface , both blow with the wind and collect at the shore, was goin to fertilize for the 4th time but was afraid to untill i figure this out . Thanks Harvey. water temp. is 73d.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: water quality - 05/04/03 04:48 PM
Harvey sounds like what you now have is euglena, usually occurs when the pond receives nutreints(fertilizing). It is just an eyesore and will go away, how you ask? The white scum you see is a protozoan that feeds on the euglena. It is pretty to cool to watch this cycle through your pond. I'm sure KD or Cody will explain this in a more specfic manner, but I would let it run its course. You can kill off the Euglena with a light mist of liquid copper, but as mentioned here get specific directions before applying herbicdes to the pond.
Posted By: JM Re: water quality - 05/04/03 06:29 PM
I think I have the same thing here in Mississippi. I can't really distinguish a color but it looks like little hairs about 1/4 to 1/2 inch length. I put in the aqua-vu camera and it appears to only be up to 2 feet deep from the surface. I also notice little fry about the same length, its gotten so that I'm scared to paddle the boat around anymore for fear of wiping some of them out \:\)

It is pretty neat to see the changes in the pond, still no bloom for me as of my 2nd treatment, but the algae around the shoreline sure loves it :rolleyes:
Posted By: harvey dupriest Re: water quality - 05/04/03 09:48 PM
Thanks Greg , set feeder for twice a day , and am glad to know that the pond will take care of this problem,I will start fertilizing again . Untill hopefully i can get a bloom . Thanks again Harvey
© Pond Boss Forum