Pond Boss
Posted By: PAfarmPondPGH69 Bass on beds - 05/10/23 04:00 PM
Got 30 LMB last year that were 8-10". This spring I can see about 6 spawn beds that they are actively guarding and a few more they started but must have abandoned. There are 1-4 bass at some of the beds so I'm not sure if they would have laid eggs already? I went to measure the water temp but the thermometer that was outside apparently froze and broke. These fish have been in the pond less than a year but I'd say the larger ones are about a foot long and thick like balogna.
Posted By: ewest Re: Bass on beds - 05/10/23 04:54 PM
Those 8-10 in. LMB from last year should spawn this year in your location.
Posted By: PAfarmPondPGH69 Re: Bass on beds - 05/10/23 04:56 PM
They are 10-12" I'd guess and most are thick. They've cleaned probably 8-10 spots some with small pebbles or a little algae growth. So would they have laid eggs or expect to within the next few days?
Posted By: ewest Re: Bass on beds - 05/10/23 05:11 PM
That should be correct. If males are on the nest guarding (as opposed to making a nest) there should be eggs. May 5 was the full moon so it is time.
Posted By: PAfarmPondPGH69 Re: Bass on beds - 05/10/23 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by ewest
That should be correct. If males are on the nest guarding (as opposed to making a nest) there should be eggs. May 5 was the full moon so it is time.

Pretty interesting to see all the beds and bass in only 6-12" of water.

So I should be seeing fry here in about a week or so?
Posted By: PAfarmPondPGH69 Re: Bass on beds - 05/12/23 02:55 PM
Looking closely at the beds eggs are clearly visible and larger than I expected. Maybe 1/16th of an inch or a bit smaller.
© Pond Boss Forum