Pond Boss
Posted By: FishinRod Good Introductory Resource for RAS? - 07/15/22 11:24 PM
I am considering starting some small-scale Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) in my basement.

I have multiple species of fish and minnows in the creek at our property and would like to raise some in tanks to observe their breeding requirements and fecundity. If I find some good candidates, then I might try to start them in tanks, then stock some small forage ponds at our property.

I also might try to over-winter tilapia and then start them each spring in a warm shallow forage pond. (Plus many other "crazy" projects that I might attempt.)

Can anyone suggest a good introductory book or resource for someone just starting out?

I do have floor drains in our basement, but the stairway is too narrow to utilize large tanks (such as a 275-gallon tote).

If I can't go "big", should I just do what I can utilizing standard aquarium ecology?

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
FishinRod
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Good Introductory Resource for RAS? - 07/16/22 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
I am considering starting some small-scale Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) in my basement.

I have multiple species of fish and minnows in the creek at our property and would like to raise some in tanks to observe their breeding requirements and fecundity. If I find some good candidates, then I might try to start them in tanks, then stock some small forage ponds at our property.

I also might try to over-winter tilapia and then start them each spring in a warm shallow forage pond. (Plus many other "crazy" projects that I might attempt.)

Can anyone suggest a good introductory book or resource for someone just starting out?

I do have floor drains in our basement, but the stairway is too narrow to utilize large tanks (such as a 275-gallon tote).

If I can't go "big", should I just do what I can utilizing standard aquarium ecology?

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
FishinRod

This is the start. Document, document, document. Think blog like I do on the CNBG thread.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Good Introductory Resource for RAS? - 07/16/22 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
This is the start. Document, document, document. Think blog like I do on the CNBG thread.

I was definitely planning on posting to Pond Boss for expert advice after I move past the beginner phase.

I was thinking that if I buy an expensive dissolved oxygen meter for the ponds, and an expensive water testing kit, then I might as well put them to full time use taking care of some additional fish at my house! grin
Send a question to Lusk. He uses them in the PB mag with answers.

You might also call in on his weekly FB show and ask about culturing minnows, etc.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Good Introductory Resource for RAS? - 07/17/22 05:02 PM
Ive never thought about being able to go fishing in my basement, that would be cool,, you could go fishing yr around or even on nasty days when the weather is bad,,, outside. I think you are on to something here.
I am reminded of the fellow that got up way early one morning to go on a fishing trip but realized the weather was way too nasty and rainy so he decided not to go after all and slipped back in bed,, he whispered to his wife about how nasty the weather was outside, his wife agreed yeah,, can't believe my husband went out fishing in it.
© Pond Boss Forum