Pond Boss
Posted By: One Ayed Jack Just limed my backyard pond - 06/24/22 05:36 PM
Hi guys. We just had some agricultural powdered lime added to our pond. It was a couple of tons in a little bigger than a quarter acre pond. It was done on the recommendation from a pond maintenance company in my area. My question is, when can my kids swim in the pond again? I want to be sure it's safe for them to do so.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Jambi Re: Just limed my backyard pond - 06/24/22 05:59 PM
I cant answer your question but I'd like to know your spreading method?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Just limed my backyard pond - 06/24/22 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by One Ayed Jack
Hi guys. We just had some agricultural powdered lime added to our pond. It was a couple of tons in a little bigger than a quarter acre pond. It was done on the recommendation from a pond maintenance company in my area. My question is, when can my kids swim in the pond again? I want to be sure it's safe for them to do so.

Thanks in advance!
Jack I can’t imagine that adding lime would hurt swimmers…. Maybe the smart ones will chime in on this. Ag lime will only raise ph so much…..
Posted By: esshup Re: Just limed my backyard pond - 06/25/22 05:14 AM
Check the pH, but I agree with Pat. A swimming pool test strip kit will be good enough or even an aquarium test kit strip.
Posted By: ewest Re: Just limed my backyard pond - 06/27/22 03:30 PM
If it was ag lime - no problem. Be sure it was not hydrated lime. If it was then use test strip.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Just limed my backyard pond - 06/28/22 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by One Ayed Jack

Thanks in advance!

If it was Calcium carbonate your good to go. If it was like stated above hydrated lime you may want to test the water first. It can be very concentrated and will burn you.

Cheers Don.
© Pond Boss Forum