Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Do dock lights attract LMB? - 06/20/22 02:20 AM
I noticed Dave Beasley's article in the May/June PB magazine (online, post office guy still hasn't finished reading my physical issue) about how to improve LMB catch rates using dock lights. He mentioned that electrofishing showed LMB congregate around these lights.

Anybody here with dock lights? What has been your experience?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Do dock lights attract LMB? - 06/20/22 11:40 AM
Not only LMB. We used to hook auto head lights to 12 volt batteries and float them. That draws bait fish and predators.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Do dock lights attract LMB? - 06/20/22 12:56 PM
Thanks, Dave. My parents used to fish for crappie under the lights on a public dock in Oklahoma, but I don't recall them saying anything about LMB.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Do dock lights attract LMB? - 06/20/22 03:30 PM
Let me try to find the video of our dock lights. We had 24V 40watt LED lights off our dock just under the surface. The lights would bring in the plankton, then the smaller minnows to the plankton, then the larger fish to the minnows. This would go on all night long and was so fun to watch. These lights took a direct shot of lightning and we never replaced them.

It is my understanding the green light is the best to attract the plankton this way.

Cheers Don.

Attached picture IMG_2635.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2627.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2623.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2622.jpg
Posted By: anthropic Re: Do dock lights attract LMB? - 06/20/22 04:36 PM
Thanks, Don. Cool images! I have electricity at the dock, so wouldn't need a battery. Gotta think that if I can bring in the plankton, the shad & other small fish would come, and eventually their predators.

Getting a bit excited thinking about how I can modify my dock to make it more attractive to the LMB and HSB. Pushing it out into somewhat deeper water, placing artificial habitat underneath to take advantage of shade in daylight, lights at night: happy vibes. grin
Posted By: catscratch Re: Do dock lights attract LMB? - 06/20/22 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by anthropic
Thanks, Don. Cool images! I have electricity at the dock, so wouldn't need a battery. Gotta think that if I can bring in the plankton, the shad & other small fish would come, and eventually their predators.

Getting a bit excited thinking about how I can modify my dock to make it more attractive to the LMB and HSB. Pushing it out into somewhat deeper water, placing artificial habitat underneath to take advantage of shade in daylight, lights at night: happy vibes. grin
I was just thinking the same thing; cover, lights, dock, etc. Could be some fun stuff come from this.
© Pond Boss Forum