Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Too Hot - 06/11/22 09:10 PM
Whoaa....100 degrees today!

And feels like 109!

I'm about done until Fall.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Too Hot - 06/11/22 09:20 PM
If it gets a little hotter, you will be able to catch your fish already cooked!

Fillet knife, dipping sauce, and some refreshing adult beverages will be all that you need for a nice dinner.

If your pond boils a few crayfish, then you can even enjoy a "Louisiana" dinner.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Too Hot - 06/11/22 10:25 PM
Mark, we hit 105, and 115. It's gonna be a long summer.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Too Hot - 06/11/22 11:13 PM
Don’t recall it breaking 100 before July….. too hot and very dry
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 12:45 PM
Same here Pat.

Our siphon pipe hasn't flowed since Sept of last year, so this will be an interesting year for us. The good part is that with our big pond pinched, the grass carp have managed coontail spread, and I haven't had to do anything but sit back and watch tilapia and GC handle everything.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 02:27 PM
That’s great! I wish I could find a way to rid of all the slender spike rush that is out over Six feet deep all the way around the pond….. don’t want to use poison
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 02:42 PM
Will GC control the slender spike rush?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 02:49 PM
I’ve heard that they won’t eat it….that stuff is a real problem. My neighbors pond is shallow and it completely covered in it. I thought about trying some but with no computer other than phone can’t even apply for permit…. Oh well… the grass shrimp like it

Most think it’s the plant that grows around the pond in clumps in several inches of water. This CR— is totally submerged except when it forms clumps that float
Posted By: Flame Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 03:03 PM
Last year where I am we never hit the triple digit but heat index was through the roof. My pond is now 2 foot low again and it has not been pull pool in many,many, months!! But...I am still not running aeriation and I still have a nice 28 inch visibility with a beautiful light green algae bloom!
Posted By: Flame Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 03:08 PM
After checking my log...It was April 7th, 2021 the last time I was at full pool!!!
Posted By: Snipe Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 03:24 PM
107 here yesterday, where it snowed 3 times in May..
Glad I reset aeration for 10pm to 8am and kicked the water on to run about 15gpm at 57 degs., maybe keep it from a rapid change.??
Posted By: esshup Re: Too Hot - 06/12/22 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Flame
After checking my log...It was April 7th, 2021 the last time I was at full pool!!!

May 2020 for me. My pond water temp at the 12" below the surface yesterday was 69.9°F.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Too Hot - 06/16/22 04:52 PM
It has surpassed 90 degrees 3 times already in June in NY. That is not common! Currently 91 out with a 74 degree dewpoint. Sticky. Many of us don't even have AC in our homes.

Note sure if this will work:
https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/a7e1d2764cd04d0f89c7f4204d2dd944/summary
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Too Hot - 06/16/22 10:42 PM
More on heat related news.

Will be interesting to see how the late spring to late summer will average this year. As hot as its been we are due some cooler weather ... assuming the average this year will be like the averages of year's past.
Posted By: azteca Re: Too Hot - 06/17/22 01:41 AM
Hello.

To refresh the fish.

What do you think of a pipe put in the ground in the shade in serpentine for about 200 feet.

I could run this water where I feed the fish.

I wonder if that make sense.
A+
Posted By: esshup Re: Too Hot - 06/17/22 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by azteca
Hello.

To refresh the fish.

What do you think of a pipe put in the ground in the shade in serpentine for about 200 feet.

I could run this water where I feed the fish.

I wonder if that make sense.
A+

Not to throw water on your plans, but I doubt it will help at all.

Here's some info for you.
In 65°F water, 35# of ice will drop 100 gallons of water by 7 degrees. Now run the calcs on how many gallons of water is in your pond & what temp, then look at what is the water temp and volume of water that will be in the serpentine pipe in the shade?

That's why I say it won't help at all.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Too Hot - 06/17/22 11:06 AM
Been several years since I saw full pool. Probably 5 or so years.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Too Hot - 06/17/22 02:30 PM
Was at full pool maybe a month ago. Now down close to a foot.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Too Hot - 06/17/22 03:37 PM
Same here
Posted By: ewest Re: Too Hot - 06/17/22 03:58 PM
Yesterday

https://www.manisteenews.com/news/article/Heat-storms-cause-fish-kills-in-south-central-17246998.php
Posted By: Tbar Re: Too Hot - 06/17/22 04:14 PM
I am thinking ~ 6 months since I saw full pool. I think our last bad drought was 2010-11.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Too Hot - 06/18/22 09:23 PM
I guess we been pretty lucky around here, over abundance of rain ponds been running over all spring on occasion. it did get pretty hot here this last week and supposed to do it again this next week but I like it way better then any frigid 0 degrees where the ground is frozen rock solid and everything is barren and desolate outside. our gardens are looking as good as they have in yrs, crops are a little late this yr because of wet fields early on this spring. I can relate to hot droughts tho, they do suck. Good luck guys!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Too Hot - 06/18/22 09:41 PM
Summer 2011 we had forty consecutive days of 100 plus degrees, with little or no rain. Many days 105 to 108, which is unusual given our humidity. Awful.
Posted By: esshup Re: Too Hot - 06/19/22 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by gehajake
I guess we been pretty lucky around here, over abundance of rain ponds been running over all spring on occasion. it did get pretty hot here this last week and supposed to do it again this next week but I like it way better then any frigid 0 degrees where the ground is frozen rock solid and everything is barren and desolate outside. our gardens are looking as good as they have in yrs, crops are a little late this yr because of wet fields early on this spring. I can relate to hot droughts tho, they do suck. Good luck guys!

When it's 0 out I can put more clothes on. When it's 100+ out there's only so many clothes I can take off before the neighbors start looking at me funny.
Posted By: Augie Re: Too Hot - 06/20/22 04:43 PM
You want hot? This is hot. Pic was taken inside my greenhouse on Saturday. Time to buy some shade cloth, I think.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: gehajake Re: Too Hot - 06/20/22 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by esshup
Originally Posted by gehajake

When it's 0 out I can put more clothes on. When it's 100+ out there's only so many clothes I can take off before the neighbors start looking at me funny.

At no point tho can you put enough clothes on to make everything green up, flowers bloom, and the birds start singing and everything outside looking 20 times better then they do in the middle of winter. with about 16 plus hrs of daylight every day. thats the problem I have with cold weather.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Too Hot - 06/20/22 08:29 PM
Weather gal says 106 Friday.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Too Hot - 06/21/22 12:43 AM
Over 100 here today with no breeze…. Ugh
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Too Hot - 06/21/22 01:04 PM
It hit a high of 64 degrees at my place on Father's day, and windy. Needed to wear jackets! It was amazingly beautiful out.
© Pond Boss Forum