Pond Boss
Posted By: Ervin Muck away after Rotenone treatment - 05/27/22 08:16 PM
Hi I finally got someone to do a fish kill with Rotenone but I have a question is it safe to start using Muck Away 3 days later without it affecting the muck remover because of the oxygen depletion
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Muck away after Rotenone treatment - 05/28/22 01:49 AM
There should be NO oxygen depletion due to applying rotenone. Rotenone does not remove the oxygen(DO) from the water. That is a misconception. Rotenone is absorbed through gills and when in the blood interrupts oxygen transfer in the animals tissues / cellular structures.

Rotenone inhibits cellular respiration and the ability to use dissolved oxygen. In effect, the fish suffocate. Fish exposed to lethal rotenone concentrations move to the surface and gasp for oxygen AS IF the water was oxygen-depleted. However, rotenone does not reduce the amount of oxygen dissolved in the pond water.

MORE DETAILS – Rotenone interrupts aerobic cellular respiration by blocking electron transport in the cellular mitochondria through the inhibition of the enzyme NADH ubiquitone reductase, which prevents the availability of oxygen for cellular respiration.
Posted By: fowells Re: Muck away after Rotenone treatment - 05/28/22 02:12 AM
I've had a die-off of large catfish in my pond. None of the scaled fish were affected. Could this be a Rotenone application by someone with bad intentions?
Posted By: esshup Re: Muck away after Rotenone treatment - 05/28/22 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by fowells
I've had a die-off of large catfish in my pond. None of the scaled fish were affected. Could this be a Rotenone application by someone with bad intentions?

In the ponds that I have Rotenoned, I have not noticed the catfish being more susceptible to the Rotenone vs. the scaled fish. They ALL come up. Bullheads were the last ones to be affected in the ponds that I treated.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Muck away after Rotenone treatment - 05/29/22 02:15 AM
IMO no one as esshup suggested used rotenone to kill your fish. If they did more fish would be dying. It is not easy, in fact very difficult to kill just CC with rotenone. I wish it were possible.
© Pond Boss Forum