Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k Striped bass - 03/13/22 10:44 PM
I recall years ago reading a thread about stocking striped bass in your pond that has native bass and bluegill. Seems like there was a real downside discussed about doing so - can someone refresh me if there are issues with stocking them?
Posted By: anthropic Re: Striped bass - 03/13/22 10:49 PM
Tim, are you talking about hybrid striped bass, HSB? They do well in ponds, though do not reproduce. Lots of fun, too.

They don't like Texas summer heat, so best not to fish for them when water temps exceed 80. They will literally fight themselves to death, even if released apparently unharmed.
Posted By: Heppy Re: Striped bass - 03/19/22 02:26 AM
Tim, maybe this is the thread you remember?

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=475610
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Striped bass - 03/19/22 01:57 PM
Locating pure strain striped bass (SB) for pond stocking is probably the biggest factor for not using them in regular pond stocking. What fish farm raises pure striped bass for sale to pond owners? And why use striped bass in a pond when Hybrid striped bass (HAB) are commonly available and if raised properly will easily grow to 12 to 15 lbs. That is a big fish for a pond fish.
Posted By: tim k Re: Striped bass - 03/19/22 10:16 PM
I worded it wrong - was talking about hybrid striped bass -
Posted By: Heppy Re: Striped bass - 03/20/22 02:32 AM
Tim, I’ve seen Overton Fisheries in Buffalo, TX used as a recommended HSB source by many Pond Boss members. Heck, if I remember correctly pond boss member George convinced Overton to develop/sell HSB. There’s a lot to that story that others can add.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Striped bass - 03/20/22 02:01 PM
Overton's Glazener Strain
© Pond Boss Forum