Pond Boss
Posted By: bowhunter857 How long until catchable? - 02/28/22 07:39 PM
I began stocking a 1 acre pond June of last year. I put in 400 BG fingerlings , 150 channel cat fingerlings, 400 red ear sunfish and 10 lbs of minnows. Ive fed them pretty minimally. Im wondering if I should expect these fish to be big enough to catch this spring/summer? Pond is in southern missouri.
Posted By: Sunil Re: How long until catchable? - 02/28/22 07:59 PM
I would think the fingerling BG would now be over 4-5" long.

I would guess the channel cats are now 6-8" long.

These are conservative guesses based on the comment that you are feeding minimally. None of the fingerling-stocked BG or CC would have been able to eat minnows for several months, maybe by Sept/October '21.

So, yes, fish will be big enough to be caught using hook/line.
Posted By: bowhunter857 Re: How long until catchable? - 02/28/22 08:08 PM
Thanks. I did feed them some but not with automatic feeder and not every day. I have a few huge grass carp that probably vacuumed up quite a bit of it before the smaller fish were able to get much too.
Posted By: Sunil Re: How long until catchable? - 02/28/22 09:48 PM
Understood.

It'll be nice to see what growth you have.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: How long until catchable? - 02/28/22 10:09 PM
In a new 1 ac Missouri pond with no other fish than those you said were stocked I am thinking the fish will be in the next larger size class than guessed by Sunil. BG & RES will be 5"-7" and CC could be 9-11". Go fishing and report your results. You might be pleasantly surprised. Fish will grow fast in a new pond with low competition due to the numbers that you stocked in 1 ac, especially if the water develops a new pond bloom and it is not turbid all summer from silt / clay in the water. Expect the BG and RES to spawn this spring.
Posted By: bowhunter857 Re: How long until catchable? - 03/01/22 12:19 AM
It’s spring fed so it’s very clean/clear. I have went out a few times with a worm and haven’t had any luck. Granted it’s still fairly cold here. And we had ice last week so I’m hoping has more to do with water temps than anything.
Posted By: Snipe Re: How long until catchable? - 03/01/22 01:09 AM
red worm on a small hook, splitshot (1/16oz) about 16" above.. finesse them.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: How long until catchable? - 03/01/22 01:15 AM
CC and RES do not prefer and eat much in 40F-45F water if you had ice recently. That leaves only 400 BG for active as cold water feeders in an whole acre of pond. IMO fish won't become very active for eating worms on hooks until the water reaches 50F and easily catchable when water is 55F. Be patient for a little warmer water that should in MO arrive in 2-3 weeks.
Posted By: esshup Re: How long until catchable? - 03/01/22 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by bowhunter857
I began stocking a 1 acre pond June of last year. I put in 400 BG fingerlings , 150 channel cat fingerlings, 400 red ear sunfish and 10 lbs of minnows. Ive fed them pretty minimally. Im wondering if I should expect these fish to be big enough to catch this spring/summer? Pond is in southern missouri.

I can catch BG that are 2" long, so yes, they are catchable. LOL Now eating size is another story! I'd go with Bill's idea on sizes. The cold water is the thing that is holding you back from catching them.
Posted By: bowhunter857 Re: How long until catchable? - 04/18/22 11:22 PM
Interestingly we have had no luck catching the bluegill or channel cats. Still wondering with it being spring fed if it’s just too cold.
Posted By: Augie Re: How long until catchable? - 04/19/22 02:14 PM
Misery spring water is typically 55°-57°.

Your spring pond should be slightly warmer in the winter, and slightly cooler in the summer, than a surface water pond.
How much warmer or cooler is dependent on the flow of the spring that feeds the pond.

The BG in my pond near Columbia have been biting like crazy since the 1st week of March.
Posted By: anthropic Re: How long until catchable? - 04/21/22 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by bowhunter857
Interestingly we have had no luck catching the bluegill or channel cats. Still wondering with it being spring fed if it’s just too cold.
Bowhunter, BG are always the last fish to bite in spring at my place. Seem more sensitive to cold
Posted By: snrub Re: How long until catchable? - 04/21/22 01:48 PM
Especially when the water is cold and the bite is light, I have a lot better luck with a small long shank size #10 hook and very samll bait. Like 1/4" of worm pinched off on that tiny hook. As the fish get bigger and the water gets warmer, not as important.
© Pond Boss Forum