Pond Boss
Posted By: jim100 surface feeding - 02/02/22 01:18 PM
This past fall I noticed a lot of surface strikes by smaller LMB. Lots of them. I started looking hard at the surface to see what was floating and saw a bug come out of the water and fly away. Then another with a bass right behind that almost picked it off 6 inches out of the water. One of the bugs flew around a few laps and landed back in the water. Finally, one came out and I tracked it as it flew around and landed right on the water's edge. It was, I am pretty sure, a Backswimmer. Fascinated I watched for another half an hour where many seemed to get eaten right as they left the water and others made it.
jim
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: surface feeding - 02/02/22 09:50 PM
It's pretty fun what you can observe by just sitting and watching.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: surface feeding - 02/02/22 11:12 PM
Shades of Yogi Berra!
Posted By: Snipe Re: surface feeding - 02/03/22 12:18 AM
I had a couple of midge hatches that I happened upon at my place last Fall,, with flyrod nearby I thought this would be the fish in a barrel deal but I was wrong, they wanted nothing to do with the foam spider I was throwing.. wasn't matching the hatch very well I guess.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: surface feeding - 02/03/22 11:25 AM
Not sure about the match the hatch idea. At one time when I was trying out fly rods, 4 pound test leaders, etc I made some flies that looked just like pond denizens of various types. About 1/3 of them worked in my pond.

OTOH, I found that brown Stubby Steves were deadly on everything.
Posted By: ewest Re: surface feeding - 02/04/22 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
OTOH, I found that brown Stubby Steves were deadly on everything.

plus 1 on SS.
© Pond Boss Forum