Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic 53 degree drop in 12 hours?!? - 12/31/21 07:13 AM
That's the forecast for Saturday night at my place. Not many fish in the shallows anyway, but I have to wonder how they'll fare. Wonder if recent liming may help a bit by reducing stress in general, but of course this is temperature, not water chemistry.

Only significant fish kill I ever had was in October 2017, after a severe cold snap caught spawning CNBG in the shallows. They mostly did not die right away, but were so stressed they succumbed to fungus over several weeks. We'll see what happens this time.
Posted By: RAH Re: 53 degree drop in 12 hours?!? - 12/31/21 10:55 AM
Frogs have been singing here. Expect some casualties soon. High of 56F today and down to 12 F on Monday. Been enjoying the warm weather, but its not good for the wildlife or plants.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: 53 degree drop in 12 hours?!? - 12/31/21 02:03 PM
I believe the worst (water) temp drop I ever had was in March one year, shortly after ice off. We got about a foot of snow that went right into the water. I lost some fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: 53 degree drop in 12 hours?!? - 12/31/21 04:30 PM
We are supposed to see -2F Sunday night after a high of 47 on Saturday with 2"-4" snow Sat night. Chicago may see a foot of snow and they are less than 90 miles West.
Posted By: Augie Re: 53 degree drop in 12 hours?!? - 12/31/21 10:31 PM
Here in the middle of Misery, the lillies and daffodils should be peacefully frozen in the ground this time of year,
but they are sending up new shoots like it was March.

Mrs. Augie and I spent most of the day fiddling outdoors. Temps were in the upper 60°s.

Weather guessers are saying snow and ice tomorrow, and temps dropping into the single digits tomorrow night into Sunday.

Mother Nature needs a Prozac. Again.
© Pond Boss Forum