Pond Boss
Posted By: Dwight -8 is the New Zero - 07/28/21 09:00 PM
Our depth tube is on bare sand now. This is 8 inches below the all time previous low. Hot, windy and little rain for a few years is re-establishing the zero mark. In spite of that; D.O. remains very good and water temperature a few feet down is normal for a hot summer. Fishing is good and fish are fat and seem to be happily ignoring what is a few feet above.

[Linked Image from btmnet.com]
Posted By: FishinRod Re: -8 is the New Zero - 07/29/21 03:35 AM
Dwight,

I just did a rain dance and sent it your way.

No, the video evidence WILL NOT be posted on PB.

Good luck!
Posted By: Dwight Re: -8 is the New Zero - 07/29/21 12:30 PM
Thank you and thank you.
Posted By: ewest Re: -8 is the New Zero - 07/29/21 04:05 PM
Thanks for the update !

With the water down and I assume the lake size as well there is likely a feeding frenzy on the small fish. Just like an intentional drawdown.
Posted By: SkunkedAgain Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/17/21 02:44 AM
So when this happens do the fish decline in balanced type numbers? or do you need to thin your predators down according to how much your pond acreage decreases? I suspect the later is true for predators, but will this almost wipe out your minnows? Probably really hurts their spawning areas too? I know my minnows mostly spawned in the grasses around the pond edge, and now my level is way low there isn't any similar habitat for them to spawn in... Do they still spawn? or do you need to supplement the minnow numbers until the level returns to normal? Sorry for all the questions, this situation is just very similar to what I could have seen this year if my pond was deeper to keep the fish alive... (Instead my pond had a total die off with only a couple inches of water left in the bottom..) Thanks J
Posted By: Dwight Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/17/21 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by SkunkedAgain
So when this happens do the fish decline in balanced type numbers? or do you need to thin your predators down according to how much your pond acreage decreases? I suspect the later is true for predators, but will this almost wipe out your minnows? Probably really hurts their spawning areas too? I know my minnows mostly spawned in the grasses around the pond edge, and now my level is way low there isn't any similar habitat for them to spawn in... Do they still spawn? or do you need to supplement the minnow numbers until the level returns to normal? Sorry for all the questions, this situation is just very similar to what I could have seen this year if my pond was deeper to keep the fish alive... (Instead my pond had a total die off with only a couple inches of water left in the bottom..) Thanks J

We were out there fishing Saturday. Even though the pond water level is low, there is still a lot of 10 foot plus clear water. Even the smallest fish we caught were in great condition. The 20-inch LMB were all fat and healthy too!

In waters 8 feet and less, the plant life is dense and nearly impassable with our dual-electric motored barge. A push pole would be needed to get back "in there". This summer, we modified our fishing approach to anchoring in places with open water and then casting into "holes" in the weeds.

In the shallow water pond you are looking at, most of the above observations would not be expected. Since we do not have that type of pond, I am using mildly informed reasoning in making that statement crazy.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 01:13 PM
Anyone else see "-8 is the New Zero" from Dwight and automatically assume it concerns Minnesota temperatures? smile
Posted By: Sunil Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 01:36 PM
Yes.

Or, the stick had transition surgery.....
Posted By: Bobbss Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 02:55 PM
That is what I thought the first time I saw it.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Sunil
Yes.

ROTFLMAO, you freak!
Posted By: Dwight Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 03:16 PM
Sunil's monumental thought processing unit is fully functional!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 03:27 PM
Well, I know how 'the stick' is your token lib, so maybe.....
Posted By: ewest Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 04:17 PM
Looks to me like 'the stick' is stuck in the mud !
Posted By: esshup Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/18/21 09:01 PM
Yes.

I could ask how Sunil came up with correlating -8 with transition surgery but I'm afraid that would be TMI. I'd rather be left in the dark like Stevie Wonder. cool
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: -8 is the New Zero - 08/19/21 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by esshup
Yes.

I could ask how Sunil came up with correlating -8 with transition surgery but I'm afraid that would be TMI. I'd rather be left in the dark like Stevie Wonder. cool
TMI and NSFW.
© Pond Boss Forum