Pond Boss
Posted By: fireforbreakfast Building a stationary dock... - 06/13/21 06:00 PM
Pretty new to owning a pond (was on property when we purchased).

The current dock is floating and definitely needs to be replaced

The pond isn't huge, according to google's measuring tool it's about 190' X 90'

Because the pond has a massive drain pipe the pond stays pretty much the same year round - even when we're low on rain

So I'd like to replace the current dock with a stationary dock.

I'm pretty confident with the framing decking for the dock but it's the supports that I'm not so sure about.

Mainly what is it best to use something like a 4X4 inside of PVC with concrete or is there something better? Seems like I've seen people also mention galvanized pipe for the supports and I saw somewhere that someone even suggested rebar protruding out the bottom of a concrete filled 5 gallon bucket and the rebar goes into the pond bed

Thanks for any input
Posted By: esshup Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/13/21 08:09 PM
I've only installed floating docks for customers. Our dock on the public lake is made from 2" heavy galvanized pipes washed/pounded into the bottom of the lake with wood joists/framework. Since it is on the side of the lake that is not affected by ice, it stays in all year long and has been in the lake for decades.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/13/21 08:27 PM
I just built one a couple weeks ago. What we used is 5½ round post from the local farm store. We had a mini X and a track hoe to push then in the bottom. So from so good on it. Heres a link to how I did them. The last page or so is where I showed it.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Posted By: fireforbreakfast Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/14/21 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by esshup
I've only installed floating docks for customers. Our dock on the public lake is made from 2" heavy galvanized pipes washed/pounded into the bottom of the lake with wood joists/framework. Since it is on the side of the lake that is not affected by ice, it stays in all year long and has been in the lake for decades.

Thank you for commenting

This shows how new I am to all of this lol. If the 2 inch pipes that are part of the frame are pounded into the bottom of the lake doesn't that make it a stationary dock? I mean that's essentially what I want to do
Posted By: fireforbreakfast Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/14/21 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by RStringer
I just built one a couple weeks ago. What we used is 5½ round post from the local farm store. We had a mini X and a track how to push then in the bottom. So from so good on it. Heres a link to how I did them. The last page or so is where I showed it.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716

Thanks so much, I'll check it out
Posted By: esshup Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/14/21 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by fireforbreakfast
Originally Posted by esshup

Thank you for commenting

This shows how new I am to all of this lol. If the 2 inch pipes that are part of the frame are pounded into the bottom of the lake doesn't that make it a stationary dock? I mean that's essentially what I want to do

You are absolutely correct, that is a stationary dock at the public lake.
Posted By: basslover Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/16/21 12:00 PM
Our fixed dock utilizes pilings (utility poles). Here is a link that provides an overview of materials as well as methods for setting pilings.

https://www.thalercontracting.com/dock-piling-installation/
Posted By: fireforbreakfast Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/17/21 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by basslover
Our fixed dock utilizes pilings (utility poles). Here is a link that provides an overview of materials as well as methods for setting pilings.

https://www.thalercontracting.com/dock-piling-installation/

Thanks so much I'll have a look at this
Posted By: anthropic Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/17/21 10:33 PM
The only thing I'd add is to watch out for harmful chemicals. Creosote & such not helpful for pond life, especially right around the pilings.
Posted By: RAH Re: Building a stationary dock... - 06/17/21 10:49 PM
I used old telephone poles as well. Has held up good for 20 years so far.
© Pond Boss Forum