Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Thermocline query - 05/28/21 11:15 PM
In the hottest days of summer here in east Texas, a distinct thermocline occurs in almost all bodies of water. At my place, where the max depth is 21 feet, the thermocline usually forms around 9 feet deep.

I haven't measured the water temps below the thermocline, though I do know the top layer gets to the upper 80s, maybe even 90 at times. But I'd be interested to know what other pondmeisters have found re temperatures below the thermocline. How big a difference? Does the bottom water, here about 12 to 21 feet, stay below 72F all summer? Below 75?

Yeah, I get it: "It depends." But at least I'd like to have some idea of what similar BOW do.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Thermocline query - 05/29/21 11:09 AM
Wish I could help but it has been a long time since I measured the temps top to bottom prior to adding the diffusers. And in the past 5 yrs, the diffusers have eliminated the thermocline. My memory kinda sucks but I think there was a 7-degree difference at the thermocline prior to adding the diffusers. I want to think the water temps have reached 91 one time in August. It is hard on the HSB and not so much on the LMB.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Thermocline query - 05/29/21 08:02 PM
Thanks, Tracy. I'd like to oxygenate the bottom layer such that both HSB and LMB would be comfortable & unstressed, even on the hottest summer day. Gotta think that both would be healthier without heat stress. Heck, maybe even keep cool/cold water fish alive over the summer.

That's a tall order, though. Still trying to find a way.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Thermocline query - 05/31/21 01:16 AM
To oxygenate cool water, you need a way to oxygenate cold water without mixing the waters above. So it won't be standard aeration. I am reminded of how some indoor systems supersaturate water using high pressure injection of air or oxygen. If you draft cold water, saturate it, and then discharge at or below the thermocline ... Maybe?

As for the minimum temp below the thermocline, this would be the ground water temp. This would be the lower limit and could be low enough in a deep pond to sustain trout provided it is near saturation of oxygen.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Thermocline query - 06/02/21 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by jpsdad
To oxygenate cool water, you need a way to oxygenate cold water without mixing the waters above. So it won't be standard aeration. I am reminded of how some indoor systems supersaturate water using high pressure injection of air or oxygen. If you draft cold water, saturate it, and then discharge at or below the thermocline ... Maybe?

As for the minimum temp below the thermocline, this would be the ground water temp. This would be the lower limit and could be low enough in a deep pond to sustain trout provided it is near saturation of oxygen.

Good thoughts. If it ever happens, will likely be something along these lines
Posted By: ewest Re: Thermocline query - 06/03/21 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by anthropic
But I'd be interested to know what other pondmeisters have found re temperatures below the thermocline. But at least I'd like to have some idea of what similar BOW do.

See this

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=3890&Number=38397#Post38397
Posted By: anthropic Re: Thermocline query - 06/03/21 07:47 PM
Thanks, Eric! Good info, obviously my BOW will be somewhat different, but at least it gives me an idea. My place is of similar depth, max 21 ft.
© Pond Boss Forum