Pond Boss
Posted By: Snipe Never say never... - 05/24/21 02:43 AM
Caught 2 of these in 2 days.. apparently it can happen.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/6n0xshG.jpg?1[/img]
Posted By: Sunil Re: Never say never... - 05/24/21 01:22 PM
Sea trout???
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Never say never... - 05/24/21 01:57 PM
I think walleye or sauger. My bet is walleye that spawned in their pond.
Posted By: Augie Re: Never say never... - 05/24/21 02:08 PM
Maybe the stork brought em? lol
Posted By: Sunil Re: Never say never... - 05/24/21 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by DonoBBD
I think walleye or sauger. My bet is walleye that spawned in their pond.

I was thinking that too, but then couldn't understand what would be so odd about that in KS.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Never say never... - 05/24/21 03:01 PM
Walleye spawning in a pond anywhere seems odd to me. Not just in Kansas anymore.
Posted By: RAH Re: Never say never... - 05/24/21 05:12 PM
How large is your pond?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Never say never... - 05/24/21 07:22 PM
5/8 acre.. normally Walleye need large expanses of rock rubble with proper current flow. This is highly unusual to have reproduction in a small pond. It rarely occurs in less than 100 acre impoundments, just highly unlikely in most ponds the size of mine.
Posted By: RAH Re: Never say never... - 05/25/21 10:32 AM
Do you have a lot of rock near the shoreline? Asking because I am considering trying WE if their is a chance that they will spawn.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Never say never... - 05/25/21 03:45 PM
RAH, I have rip rap all the way around and down quite a ways. Even at that, it's still highly unlikely they would ever pull off even a partial spawn. I think it would take a well planned and built channel with a continuous current flow of super clean water through that channel for it to have a chance at any regularity in a pond setting.
Walleye eggs are super sensitive to sediment and easily suffocate, in fact in the best situations I believe a high percentage of eggs in the areas where there is recruitment-do not hatch.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Never say never... - 05/25/21 05:52 PM
Well, that is pretty cool! Life will find a way.

I wonder if there was enough wind and wave action to get them to be successful, laying eggs near to the shoreline or washing up?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Never say never... - 05/25/21 07:04 PM
No way - photoshopped!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Never say never... - 05/25/21 08:50 PM
Snipe, maybe you can offer to sell some of your walleye magic pond water, $50 an ounce to gullib... uh, dedicated walleye enthusiasts! grin
Posted By: Snipe Re: Never say never... - 05/27/21 03:48 AM
75/oz to TJ.... :-))
My boy caught one tonight about 5".. the 2 I've caught were both about 7.5".
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Never say never... - 05/27/21 04:24 AM
Dude! Let’s talk ASAP. You’ve got some crazy stuff going on down there!
Posted By: lmoore Re: Never say never... - 05/27/21 01:43 PM
I am planning a future waterfall/stream combo into my pond with heavier flow than normal to see if I could get some spawning from Walleye and creek minnow species....maybe it would be cheaper to buy a few gallons of your magic water!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Never say never... - 05/27/21 02:25 PM
Kenny,
Not to hijack the thread, but as we were moving Tilapia from Tilapitopia V5 (our indoor circular tank 1600 gallon system) to the big pond yesterday, several of the girls let fry go! It was a lot of work to collect them all and get them to a tank, but now we are proud caretakers of several hundred Tilapia fry. The water temps were never over 76 degrees F and the lighting was all wrong for any sun cycle to "cause" them to spawn. So I get it, Barry White music will find a way to get played!
Posted By: Snipe Re: Never say never... - 05/28/21 04:18 PM
laugh on the Barry White thing...
© Pond Boss Forum