Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Trees Company - 03/20/21 02:29 AM
Fantastic fishing today despite chill. Big HSB, trout, LMB up to 7 plus pounds. Even the CNBG are beginning to bite.

Question is to what extent do I owe some of this to felling tree close to my dock? Most big LMB were caught there, though HSB weren't. Dock with feeder is usually good for CNBG and LMB, but the bite for lunker mommas was best I have had. Tree has only been down a few days, could it really be that much help?
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Trees Company - 03/20/21 02:46 AM
1.) Bass like structure, since they are ambush predators.

2.) The LMB have been watching the CNBG feed in the open water around the dock, but were unable to successfully stalk their prey. After years of seething with resentment they finally noticed a large tree down in the water just feet from the edge of the pellet dispersal pattern from the feeder.

The LMB general then assigned sniper positions based on seniority. The best spots among the branches for concealment and then sudden attack were given to the girthiest bass. After the bass launched several days of lightning attacks on the CNBG, they withdrew once again to their deep concealment in the newly felled tree.

Today you flipped a lure into the deadly defiladed positions of the "lunker mommas". The rest is, as they say, history!

1.) or 2.), it depends!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Trees Company - 03/20/21 11:31 AM
🤗
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Trees Company - 03/20/21 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by FishinRod
The LMB have been watching the CNBG feed in the open water around the dock, but were unable to successfully stalk their prey. After years of seething with resentment they finally noticed a large tree down in the water just feet from the edge of the pellet dispersal pattern from the feeder.

Nothing seethes like a LMB.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Trees Company - 03/21/21 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
The LMB have been watching the CNBG feed in the open water around the dock, but were unable to successfully stalk their prey. After years of seething with resentment they finally noticed a large tree down in the water just feet from the edge of the pellet dispersal pattern from the feeder.

It gives them a bad name...in certain quarters.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Trees Company - 03/22/21 01:56 AM
Feeder went off, trout in frenzy, two geese decided to grab free lunch where I cast. Next thing I know, my line is going out. And up. Fast.

Fortunately, the lure pulls out. Bird and fisherman are relieved And then a trout inhales the now bare hook. Crazy.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Trees Company - 03/22/21 02:11 AM
I have heard guys tell stories about a big bass coming up and eating a blackbird at the edge of the pond.

When anthropic's fish story started, I was hoping it was going to end with a bass large enough to hit the goose he was using as bait!

(I am definitely an optimist!)
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Trees Company - 03/22/21 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by Sunil
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

It gives them a bad name...in certain quarters.

I have heard that perpetually aggrieved LMB are still OK - until you start catching them and notice they have all gotten face and neck tattoos.

At that point you need to just drain your pond and start over!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Trees Company - 03/22/21 07:28 PM
When it comes to fish, I like them aggressive and dumb. Geese, on the other hand...

By the way, I find that cormorants are just misunderstood attention seekers. When they visit I clap loudly and, satisfied, they fly elsewhere. Didn't get enough appreciation when they were young, I think
© Pond Boss Forum