Pond Boss
Posted By: Spillers Crazy pond quotes in NC - 03/01/21 11:39 PM
I have a 3 acre piece of land that I am looking to build about a 1 acre pond on here in NC. I have gotten some outrageous quotes of 50-100k without them even taking the time to look at the property. I know soil is a big issue, but figured they would at least take a sample. It is in a 8 foot deep slow sloped creek bed (NC cleared it for pond already) with a natural spring, run off, and a well that hit an underground river. Is there any reason prices are this high, or am I simply not finding the right company? Recommendations are welcomed.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Crazy pond quotes in NC - 03/01/21 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Spillers
I have a 3 acre piece of land that I am looking to build about a 1 acre pond on here in NC. I have gotten some outrageous quotes of 50-100k without them even taking the time to look at the property.
Sounds to me like they don't want the job, but if you're dumb enough willing to overpay horribly ...

Disclosure: I am prejudiced against ridiculously high quotes. Also increasingly old and cranky.
Posted By: Spillers Re: Crazy pond quotes in NC - 03/02/21 12:47 AM
Pretty much how I feel about it. I think I am just talking to the wrong builders. Hoping someone on here knew the right ones to get a hold of.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Crazy pond quotes in NC - 03/02/21 03:04 AM
What is your soil like? I don't know how they can give you a quote like that with out looking at it. I will say that I had a builder saying it was going to probably be much more than $25,000.00 for a 2/3 acre pond. They planned on doing it by the book and was going to haul in 100% of the clay need to build the dam and to line the bowl with 2'. I can see if they are going to haul in all the clay and do it by the book, it could get pretty high.
Posted By: Steve_ Re: Crazy pond quotes in NC - 03/02/21 03:52 AM
I'm in NC also, and I got quoted 10-12k and 12-15k to dig a half acre pond in a natural valley. Basically had the shape of a pond already there, just needed to "scoop" it out a bit more and build a dam.
© Pond Boss Forum