Pond Boss
Posted By: A-aron Clearing Snow on pond? - 02/20/21 05:43 PM
Hi All,

I really planned on blowing snow off our 2 acre pond this winter but I haven't had the time or resources to do it.

My neighbor just leant me his heavy duty arians blower so I was thinking about starting today.

Is it even worth it at this point, or is all the pond weed amd vegetation already done for?

I'd really like to avoid spring decomposition and fish die off but maybe too little too late?

I did install 4 dual plate aerators this fall which have kept 4 10-20 foot diameter holes ice free.

We are in Southwest Colorado(Ouray) at 8800' and average pond depth is 6 feet with 10 feet being the deepest.

I'll try reaching out personally to some of you who helped me earlier in the year.

Thanks for the advice.

Aaron
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Clearing Snow on pond? - 02/20/21 06:24 PM
I would be pretty encouraged if you have managed to keep holes open the entire winter so far! IMO better late than never with the snow removal!!

Have you happened to measure your water temp? How deep are the diffusers?? Never mind, just saw your other post.
Posted By: A-aron Re: Clearing Snow on pond? - 03/14/21 07:35 PM
Nevermind. Tried blowing snow a few weeks ago. ALmost lost the blower in the slush. About a foot of slush between the surface snow and ice below.

Need to keep up with it throughout the season since i assume the snow insulates the melted slush below and prevents it from freezing all the way at the end of winter.
© Pond Boss Forum