Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/04/21 03:53 AM
Read very interesting PB article about using HSB of appropriate size to control LMB numbers. Has anybody tried this? Did it come up in the discussion today, which unfortunately I missed?

I'd use tiger musky for this purpose if my pond were farther north. HSB are great fighters and add diversity, would love to have an excuse to stock more.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/04/21 11:56 AM
IME, the other way around (LMB on HSB) worked really well.
Posted By: RAH Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/04/21 12:41 PM
Aren't HSB largely sterile? If so, why would LMB be used to control their population?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/04/21 12:55 PM
LMB can be really good at wiping out newly stocked HSB. That, pretty much, is population control.
Posted By: RAH Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/04/21 01:01 PM
Thank you for the clarification.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/04/21 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by RAH

Yeah, even if it was a wise-assed comment!!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 12:17 AM
Enjoying the repartee!

I do wonder if there's a strategy of using larger HSB to control YOY LMB. They tend to inhabit different habitats, so maybe not.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 12:36 AM
I highly doubt the effectiveness of that.. LMB are tight shore, heavy habitat users when small, HSB are just the opposite being pelagic in nature they tend to hunt outside the littoral zone with less structure.
For the purpose of discussing ponds, I consider the Littoral zone outside the main vegetation/habitat "ring" unrelated to shoreline influence..
Posted By: Sunil Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 01:42 AM
Theo is probably referring to that 10 lb. northern strain LMB that he caught when he went to Niagara Falls.....the Canadian side.

He brought it home to his pond.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 02:09 AM
I believe the hsb did help to control my lmb numbers. No way to prove it but I did see a reduction of lmb in the 3 to 6" size. Either by the larger lmb and or both hsb and lmb. I saw it when my hsb and lmb were in the 4 to 8lb size. Hsb will travel in the shallows of a pond.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Sunil
Theo is probably referring to that 10 lb. northern strain LMB that he caught when he went to Niagara Falls.....the Canadian side.

10 lb northern LMB? Wow!

I have heard there are world class SMB in the Niagara River, up to maybe 7 lb.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by TGW1
I believe the hsb did help to control my lmb numbers. No way to prove it but I did see a reduction of lmb in the 3 to 6" size. Either by the larger lmb and or both hsb and lmb. I saw it when my hsb and lmb were in the 4 to 8lb size. Hsb will travel in the shallows of a pond.

Interesting, Tracy. I have HSB well over 5lb, unsure max size. But not a lot.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 12:04 PM
I believe they do. Agree that in nature they are an open water fish. But, ponds limit that ability. LMB are somewhat structure oriented but only somewhat.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 01:08 PM
I know I'm stating the obvious, but just as a reminder, HSB will "control" BG also. If a strong BG base is a priority, then be careful with the number of HSB stocked. A combo of HSB/LMB can sure affect the forage base.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by anthropic

10 lb northern LMB? Wow!

I have heard there are world class SMB in the Niagara River, up to maybe 7 lb.

A lot of guys lost their virginity up there too...on both sides of the border.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by RAH

Yeah, even if it was a wise-assed comment!!

Pot, meet kettle.

P.S. The last time I was at Niagara Falls it was turned off. So no fishing.
Posted By: ewest Re: Hybrid stripers as LMB control? - 02/05/21 06:05 PM
Studies in HSB/LMB and sunfish (BG , RES etc) ponds indicate that HSB will consume BG and LMB mostly very small ones < 4 inches BG and under 6 inches LMB but will not control the population. Very large HSB can eat larger LMB (< 12 inches) but that is not common due to hunting methods/ area - HSB deeper open water and LMB in cover/structure. Big LMB are a much more effective control on small <12 inch LMB.
© Pond Boss Forum