Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave_IA Existing pond ideas - 12/01/20 07:51 PM
I built a 2-1/2 acre pond in 2016 that is now producing some very good fishing. It so happens that it is located immediately adjacent to an old, as far as I know, fishless pond that is about 1/2 acre. It has not had fish in it to my knowledge for years, although according to neighbors, once upon a time there were good fish in it.

The dam of the old, little pond is actually a short section of the bank of the new pond, they are that close to one another. Reading about people with nursery ponds, etc, I wonder if I shouldn't do something with the little pond to somehow help the big pond???

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas as to how I can put the little pond to use? I think it is at least 6'-8' deep, I plan on checking the depth this winter.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Existing pond ideas - 12/01/20 09:39 PM
Not sure what all you have in your bigger pond but the smaller one is big enough that I would probably still make a fishing pond out of it with different types of fish than the bigger one. Other than that forage or grow out? What all is in the bigger pond?
Posted By: Dave_IA Re: Existing pond ideas - 12/01/20 10:38 PM
The big(lower) pond has LMB, CC, BC and three types of sunfish. Hybrid BG, Red Ear Sunfish and regular Bluegills. These were stocked in June, 2017. I now have LMB up to 18", CC's up to 18", BC up to 13", and sunfish to say 9".
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Existing pond ideas - 12/01/20 10:53 PM
Maybe make it a SMB,YP and HSB pond?
© Pond Boss Forum