Pond Boss
Posted By: GlenH How long for a clay pond to seal - 11/01/20 05:27 PM
I live in the Sandhills of NC, Pond size 150ft by 90ft by 6ft deep lined with gumbo clay, compacted with a vibratory roller/compactor, clay depth 8 to 12inches thick, using well to pump water in, tool 4 days to fill, left pump on for a week and shut it off, lost about 6 inches in the 1st 24hrs. How long for the pond to seal with only losing water to evaporation? Do I need to leave the pump running for a few months? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: RStringer Re: How long for a clay pond to seal - 11/01/20 06:17 PM
I'm no expert on this so take it for wht it cost ya. I pretty sure it will absorb some water before it all sealed up. I would keep running it off and on to keep it topped off for awhile. Maybe keep it filled for a few months then check it again.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: How long for a clay pond to seal - 11/01/20 08:02 PM
I have three solid clay ponds. The small forage/settlement pond sealed immediately. One of the others (1/4 acre) took a year to completely seal, and the other one (1/4 acre) has not sealed after 5 years. So, it varies. I think maybe some roots were left in the dam of the leaker, but I can't be sure where the leak or leaks are.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: How long for a clay pond to seal - 11/01/20 09:32 PM
I'm no expert either but since you can fill it back up pretty quick, I would put a measuring stake in if you haven't already done so. Then I would see how far it will drop and if it drops slower, the lower it gets. Then I would refill it again and see if it drops any slower the next time. Maybe try it a few times and if it does better each time, then try keeping it full a little longer and see how it does. If it doesn't keep getting better, I think I would let it drain and see if you can find out why before things get to muddy and hard to work on.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: How long for a clay pond to seal - 11/03/20 06:53 AM
Hi Glen:

Welcome to the forum!

Install a stake in your pond in a few feet depth and monitor daily vertical water loss. Newly constructed ponds experience a phenomenon we refer to as "wicking" - the process of surrounding clay becoming saturated. This can lead to water loss, but typically doesn't last too long. If you have a dam check it thoroughly for seepage. If you continue to see vertical loss above 1/2" daily you likely have a leak[s] and will need to address. Feel free to contact me anytime - I have helped hundreds of guys the past 6 years with leak issues and can provide some options if the loss continues. Happy to help, my time is free to my Pond Boss forum family.

tj@hudlandmgmt.com
Posted By: GlenH Re: How long for a clay pond to seal - 11/24/20 02:26 PM
How long does it normally take on new construction for the wicking to stop, are we talking days, weeks, months or a year? also inhave had the pump off for over a week and lost about 12 inches over that time slowly each day its slowed up a bit now but losing about 1/2 daily now, Temps are around 60s during the day and 30s at night

thank you
© Pond Boss Forum