Pond Boss
Posted By: freddie2020 crappie - 09/08/20 08:32 PM
I have heard rumblings about the development of hybrid crappie. Is this real if so could they reasonably be stocked in small ponds.
Posted By: Steve_ Re: crappie - 09/08/20 09:13 PM
Hybrid Crappie occur in the wild as well, but yes, they are a real thing, and there are some hatcheries that sell them. Is your pond new or does it already have established predators? Due to the lower reproduction of the hybrid compared to either of the pure white or black species, a 10-year study in Illinois where hybrid crappie were stocked alongside bass and bluegill, found that the hybrid crappie were not able to maintain their populations, so occasional restocking would be required. On the plus side, hybrid crappie grow quicker and get larger than white crappies and black crappies. 3-pound hybrid crappies can be achieved in 6 years.
Posted By: Zep Re: crappie - 09/08/20 10:21 PM
freddie....I have stocked hybrid crappie....the only problem is....like albino catfish....it is not easy to locate a supplier.....very hit and miss...but I suppose nobody would want to stock them every year....so it seems i can locate them both every few years which works for me.

https://www.jmmaloneandson.com/hybrid-crappie.html
Posted By: esshup Re: crappie - 09/08/20 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Zep
freddie....I have stocked hybrid crappie....the only problem is....like albino catfish....it is not easy to locate a supplier.....very hit and miss...but I suppose nobody would want to stock them every year....so it seems i can locate them both every few years which works for me.

https://www.jmmaloneandson.com/hybrid-crappie.html

We sell them. The biggest problem we have had this year is people wanting 100 or so fish and nothing else. Not a problem when they are close, but driving to Georgia/New York, etc. to deliver them doesn't make business sense, and when the people are told about the delivery cost per mile they freak out.

Heck, I had someone in Southern Florida want to buy basically 2 of every species that we sell, in advanced sizes, and expected free delivery. Sorry, that ain't going to happen.
© Pond Boss Forum