Pond Boss
Posted By: Hope2020 Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 01:43 PM
My son had an ornamental pond with a waterfall built for me for Mothers Day. I love it & have added 10 goldfish that are all thriving & a have a baby bullfrog that just showed up. Also got a test kit to check the PH and added live plants. I clean the main pump filters every few days.

The problem is that since I added a separate pump for the waterfall (Pond Boss Waterfall Pump 2300 GPH & it kicks butt) because the pump outfit we had was only producing a wimpy waterfall, the water level drops really fast. I'm having to add water every day & the stuff to dechlorinate & remove chloramine which isn't cheap.

As you can see in the video, the waterfall is splashing quite a bit but it doesn't seem like it's enough to account for half the water in the pond disappearing every day. It's in the 90s here so I'm sure there's some evaporation but surely not that much. I can't find any signs of a leak in the liner either. Any ideas where the water could be going? Maybe you can't see the video. I've tried but must not be doing it right.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6TXJDOJVNE4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 02:11 PM
Your water went to Heaven.
Evaporation can steal an inch a day.
Posted By: snrub Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 02:46 PM
Turn the pump off for a day and see if it makes a difference.

Plants will also transpire moisture so everything adds up.
Posted By: Hope2020 Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 04:33 PM
Thanks y'all. If only it were just an inch a day. This is like half the water in the pond. I'll turn the big pump off for a day & see if it's the culprit. Not the waterfall pump but the InPond 5-in-1 from Lowe's. It's supposed to have a UV light to kill algae & that seems to be basically working. My pond is in the sun so it's hard not to have algae but the water is clear, not at all murky. That pump was $200 but if I don't need it maybe I can sell it & get some of my son's money back. smile

Trying again with video.

Pond
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 06:25 PM
Your garden pond is very nice...Makes me want one.

The splashing of the water fall will contribute a lot to evaporation. The surrounding rocks are getting wet and are warm. Most of the water that hits the rocks may be evaporating. This speeds up the water loss.

This is what I'd do...turn off the fountain pump and the other pump for a day (maybe two). Put a five gallon bucket of water next to the pond (no lid) and mark the levels of the water in both the pond and the bucket. Loss due to evaporation should be very close to the same in both. If the bucket loses a 1/2" of water, so should the garden pond...for example. If the pond loses a lot more without the pumps going, then it's probably leaking. A rain event would nullify the test and depending on temperature and humidity, it may take a couple days to see measurable amounts of water loss.
Posted By: Hope2020 Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 06:28 PM
Thanks! I know my ignorance is showing but will my fish get enough oxygen with both pumps off?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 06:38 PM
You will want to keep an eye on that. Maybe put them in a cooler with a bubbler during the test. Or, at least check on them every few hours to make sure they don't start piping at the surface due to low DO levels. If the non-waterfall pump does not make any splashing, but just moves water around...leaving that one on would not make much difference.

How big are the fish and how many gallons of water are in the pond?

Consider putting a rain barrel out to catch water from the gutter downspouts. You would not have to de-chlorinate that!
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/10/20 07:14 PM
You will have no problems with oxygen with the pumps off.

I would guess the waterfalls have a leak behind them, when the water volume is high, water will back up the stones. Any small leak will amount to quite a lot of water. I highly doubt 1/2 that volume of water is evaporation per day unless the water temp was well over 90F.

This is one of the reasons I don't have a waterfall in my garden pond, I am on a well and cannot keep topping things off due to leaks. Leaks are inevitable with running water features.
Posted By: Hope2020 Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/11/20 12:50 PM
Thanks! The fish are quite small although grown a lot since I got them. Probably about 5" long. I thought it would be best to start out with .19 goldfish until I knew how things were gonna go. Now my granddaughter has named them all & I've gotten attached to them. lol

I'm wondering about the waterfall too because when I stand behind it I can hear water...more I think than just what's going through the tubing. Not sure how I can check it other than dismantling the rocks one by one around it & replacing hem very very carefully.
Posted By: Hope2020 Re: Pond Water Disappearing - 07/11/20 12:53 PM
Thanks! Yes, the dechlorinator stuff is getting pretty expensive since I have to replace half the water in the pond at least once a day & sometimes more.
© Pond Boss Forum