Pond Boss
Posted By: bcraley What is this brown scum? - 07/01/20 12:36 PM
What is this brown scum? I first was thinking pollen, but I wouldn't think pollen would have the bubbles. It drifts over the pond to the downwind side. This morning we have a nice breeze so its all contained on the southwest corner and pushed into the rocks. The pictures are from last night when we had very little wind and it was more sprawling. I tried to rake it, but there isn't really anything to rake... just a film that flows like water on the surface. Frogs and other small creatures are thriving.

I've been regularly checking visibility and I'm 18-24" both morning and evening. I rarely get more than 24" of visibility due to my dogs constantly keeping clay suspended.

Running bottom aeration 24/7 and I used blue dye mid-April because I was having some pondweed beginning to grow.

Additional pictures are for reference purposes.

Attached picture pondScum1.jpg
Attached picture PondScum.jpg
Attached picture pond.jpg
Attached picture Fry.jpg
Posted By: ewest Re: What is this brown scum? - 07/01/20 02:57 PM
Possibly cytoplasm from dead plankton.
Posted By: bcraley Re: What is this brown scum? - 07/01/20 03:28 PM
If that's the case, then nothing of concern, right?
Posted By: ewest Re: What is this brown scum? - 07/01/20 03:32 PM
How is the rest of the pond activity ? It is indicative of a productive plankton community - that can cause wide swings in pH and O2 levels but not always or even often.
Posted By: bcraley Re: What is this brown scum? - 07/01/20 04:56 PM
As far as I can tell my pond is in good shape. I've had several hatches of what I assume are FHM, I've seen some SMB fry, bullfrog tadpoles are developing into baby frogs, tilapia are super active, a week ago my daughter caught a bunch of healthy YP that have some serious shoulders and appear to be eating quite well. I've caught SMB on a fly just before dark that appear to be quite healthy.

I've never taken a ph reading. I guess I should?

I put vertex bottom aeration in at beginning of April so I assume my O2 is OK.

Plankton blooms are good... right? Foundation of the food chain, sort of thing?

Having a 4th of July party and I know we'll have people swimming... just want to run this by the group to make sure it appears safe for swimming.
Posted By: ewest Re: What is this brown scum? - 07/01/20 05:26 PM
Sounds like you have a productive pond (fishery). Your situation appears like that many pond owners commonly have and live with. In most cases the stuff goes away during the day and often disperses with wind/wave action.
Posted By: Heppy Re: What is this brown scum? - 07/02/20 04:23 AM
bcraley,
Same thing is happening in my pond. My youngest son and I were in it today. Hope that helps!
Heppy
Posted By: Journeyman Re: What is this brown scum? - 07/02/20 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Heppy
bcraley,
Same thing is happening in my pond. My youngest son and I were in it today. Hope that helps!
Heppy

maybe... showering before a swim would solve the problem grin
© Pond Boss Forum