Pond Boss
Posted By: Journeyman Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 02:03 PM
My neighbor friend likes to refer to my 1.2 acre Pond as a Lake, as if he's correcting me when I call it a pond.
The conundrum is usually pondered over a cocktail or two as we take a break from solving the rest of the worlds problems.

He asks, how I know the difference? My response, if it's too small for water skiing - it's a Pond!

His response is more compelling. If it has a source, other than rain, like a spring or creek - it's a lake.
"Ponds can dry up in a drought, lakes don't", he says.

It's spring fed, I still call it a Pond.

What is it?
Posted By: RStringer Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 02:40 PM
Our pond is about 3/4 acre now. We use to call it a pond when it was like 1/3 acre. I rebuilt it and made it a lot closer to the house. The wife has now named it "Stringer Lake". It still isn't very big looks it because its so close to the house. I have learned over the years not to argue with her so its now a lake. LOL
Posted By: Augie Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by RStringer
I have learned over the years not to argue with her so its now a lake. LOL

You are wise beyond your years. ;-)
Posted By: KY_pond Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 05:09 PM
This is the best description that I have found:

https://pondacademy.com/lake-vs-pond

Looks like depth is the key (although there's no one depth that is the dividing line). smile
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 06:22 PM
The most knowledgeable person in real estate I know once told me. A lake is defined by have a blue line water access. If it does not have a blue line then it`s a pond, but if it has the blue line it`s a lake. He also told me if your a buyer of a property everything is a pond, but if your a seller everything is a lake.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by KY_pond
This is the best description that I have found:

https://pondacademy.com/lake-vs-pond

Looks like depth is the key (although there's no one depth that is the dividing line). smile

I hope this isn't the best description...
Depth, and sunlight reaching the bottom are factors. Okay, but how deep, what about water clarity?

After further research, I find a map of my town, I see two bodies of water nearby.
One is 172 acres, 10ft depth, the other is 6 acres, 11ft depth.
The small one is called a Lake, the big one is called a Pond.

The debate lives on!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 07:49 PM
A lot of us go by the 10 acre cut. Less than 10 is a pond, greater than 10 is a lake.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/15/20 10:22 PM
My favorite definition:

"Your 5 acre BOW is a pond, my 5 acre BOW is a lake."
Posted By: anthropic Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/16/20 01:43 AM
Reminds me of the movie, The Man who went up a Hill and came down a Mountain. Added a couple of feet on top...
Posted By: highflyer Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/16/20 01:51 PM
If you can land a float-plane on it, it's a lake. Otherwise, call it what YOU want. After all, its yours.
Posted By: Linden Pond Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/16/20 03:57 PM
Anything over 5 acres is a lake!-- according to a couple of pond management courses i've takenfrom Penn state
and texas ag! Will that end the discussion? Prob not!..🤣
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/16/20 10:49 PM
In Texas, From Dallas East, it’s a pond. From Fort Worth West, it’s a tank(stock tank for watering livestock which is generally cows).

Get over into Arkansas and Louisiana and it’s a pool(pool of water).
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Is it a Lake, or a Pond? - 06/17/20 12:01 AM
All the people around here say our place is the one with the lake out front. I refer to it as the money pit.
© Pond Boss Forum