Pond Boss
Posted By: bcraley Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 12:45 AM
I contacted my local fish supplier here in Central Ohio and ordered 8 pounds of tilapia to help w FA. Picked them up on Saturday morning. Floated them for 30 minutes before stocking them.

By that evening I found several dying tilapia. By Sunday I had collected a total of 10 dead. As of today, I’ve collected a total of 2 pounds of dead tilapia. No other fish species found dead and the perch are feeding well as of tonight.

Fish supplier has agreed to replace 2 pounds. My questions are 1.) why did this happen? and 2) if I found 2 pounds, how many others are likely dead that didn’t float?

Water only has about 12” of visibility right now due to the 4” of rain we’ve had the past couple days making it difficult to see what’s actually swimming in the shallows.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 09:38 AM
Hard to tell how many died but, most dead fish sink.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 01:23 PM
part of acclimation is diluting the water in the transport bags with pond water. The chemistry in the pond might be very different than the transport water. So after the temp is pretty close, add 50% of the volume (each addition) of pond water into the bag in 10 min increments. Do that 3 or 4 times before releasing.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 02:22 PM
bcraley - you are on a learning curve using tilapia. Tilapia are tropical fish. Just because they die around 45F-50F does not mean you can "mess" with them when water is cool. They lose their scales easily when handled during netting and transport. Our Ohio pond water is 60F or maybe 65F depending on Ohio location. Evenings are cool and ponds cool at night. The tilapia that you bought probably never experienced any temps below 70 or 75F. My experience is always stock and handle tilapia when water is consistently 70F or above or you will likely experience what you describe above. When tilapia die especially in fall they 'almost' always sink at least that is how they behave in a cage. A few days later some will float. Maybe 10-15% dead ones will float. It depends. Larger bass eat a lot if not all of the stocked tilapia that struggle with stress or survival especially the tilapia 6" and less. A 6" tilapia is not very wide at 1.5". LMB of 11"-12" gape is around 1.5".
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 03:05 PM
Like Bill said, darn near all the Tilapia that have died in my ponds never floated up.

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Hard to tell how many died but, most dead fish sink.
Honest to God, DD, the first time I read that it said "most dead fish stink", and I thought "yeah, eventually."
Posted By: bcraley Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 06:33 PM
Bill - I'm on a learning curve for what seems like everything with this puddle and I'm at the very bottom of the curve! :-)

No LMB ... and I'm certain my 11" SMB likely aren't eating the dying ones. Your description of scale loss is exactly what I noticed. And it sounds like I need to assume that the vast majority, if not all are dead. Nothing like throwing a few hundred dollars out the window!
Posted By: Mastersdegree1 Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 08:50 PM
I was thinking about putting in Tilapia to control ceratophyllum that is getting out of control in my 3 acre pond,.... does anyone have any experience with this? Please advise.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 09:05 PM
TP do well in our climate, at least up until winter. I know they prefer algae, but in a pinch will eat a few other things, including fish food. Certatophyllum is a new one on me, maybe the experts can help you there.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 09:16 PM
That’s coontail isn’t it ? If it is don’t think tilapia eat that , not 100% sure though
Posted By: anthropic Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 09:18 PM
Maybe grass carp would be better.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/21/20 09:20 PM
Think so
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/22/20 02:13 AM
Coontail is too coarse of a textured plant for tilapia to consume a lot of it. If all other delicate plants are gone they might eat some of the leaves off the coontail stem.
Posted By: bcraley Re: Dead Tilapia - 05/26/20 04:58 PM
As an update, now that my water has cleared from the 6 inches of rain. I have 20-30 tilapia alive and doing well from my initial 8 pound stocking. Supplier has agreed to replace 3 pounds. I suspect I lost closer to 4+ pounds, but... I'll roll with it.
© Pond Boss Forum