Pond Boss
Posted By: AnglinAngie Best game fish--shallow lake Mississippi - 03/29/20 05:10 AM
Being from more northern latitudes, I'm used to little ponds with Yellow Perch and the like.

What will survive stocked in a small pond/lake in Mississippi? I guess you could say it'd be just about than 3 ft. deep.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to PB Angie.

How big is it? Do you mean average of 3 ft or maximum?
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Welcome to PB Angie.

Thank you! smile

It's like a few unconnected, small farm ponds. Yeah, it's only about 3 ft maximum. It does not really have a lot of shallower area, either. Probably about 8-10 ft diameter but 3 ft deep.
Posted By: ewest Re: Best game fish--shallow lake Mississippi - 03/29/20 02:50 PM
Welcome to PB.

Are there fish there already or are you just starting?
Originally Posted by ewest
Welcome to PB.

Are there fish there already or are you just starting?

Thank you!

Yeah, I'm only starting.
At a minimum you need something to eat mosquitoes, such as fathead minnows. Copperhead Bluegill s probably could make it, not sure about bass
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Best game fish--shallow lake Mississippi - 03/30/20 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by AnglinAngie
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Welcome to PB Angie.

Thank you! smile

It's like a few unconnected, small farm ponds. Yeah, it's only about 3 ft maximum. It does not really have a lot of shallower area, either. Probably about 8-10 ft diameter but 3 ft deep.

10 ft in diameter is about 78 sq ft and this correlates to about 0.18% of an acre. Wasn't sure if each of the unconnected ponds were this size or not ... but a 10 ft diameter pond will support one adult lepomis species (eg bluegill or long ear sunfish) and additionally many gambusia which would serve as forage and additional mosquito control. If this is intended as pond for viewing fish you might lean toward a longear sunfish as they are very colorful.

Other options might be goldfish ... a larger number could be stocked ... say 10. They would grow as large as on lepomis and be easy to spot. You could grow more of them because they feed lower on the food chain.
© Pond Boss Forum