Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k grass carp eating floating feed? - 03/22/20 01:24 PM
Started feeding few days ago and my grass carp are sucking up all the feed - never had this happen before and did not know they would even eat feed -
Posted By: rjackson Re: grass carp eating floating feed? - 03/23/20 11:49 AM
I tried to get Bladderwort under control by overstocking grass carp. Didn't work. Wound up having to chemically eliminate it. Now I have an overabundance of grass carp. The ones that start sucking up the MVP get a dose of lead poisoning, but in my case, I'm way overstocked on them.
Posted By: Sunil Re: grass carp eating floating feed? - 03/23/20 12:16 PM
They do eat feed.
Posted By: hendog Re: grass carp eating floating feed? - 03/23/20 01:09 PM
I believe GC are the most over prescribed, overused species in the fish management business. They charge you to put em in, charge you to take em out... GC will come up to the feeders aggressively in the next few weeks, need to imprint danger on them right out of the gate!
Posted By: tim k Re: grass carp eating floating feed? - 03/23/20 02:26 PM
yeah I had hydrilla take over half my pond last year - put in the carp but it was too much for them to control. So I had it sprayed - killed the heck out of the hydrilla so there really is not much for the carp to eat. I may have to use some lead too to thin them out
Posted By: tdbdds Re: grass carp eating floating feed? - 04/10/20 01:23 AM
I have 5 40 plus pound GC in my pond. They were eating the fish pellets like they were at sizzler. I shot one with bow and the other 4 haven't been back to feeder in over a year.
Posted By: anthropic Re: grass carp eating floating feed? - 04/10/20 04:03 AM
Wood ducks also like feed. But unlike geese , they are welcome to some
© Pond Boss Forum