Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Mosquito paradise - 03/16/20 08:24 PM
Anybody else having trouble with mosquitoes? Our place has always had a few, but this year it's far worse than usual.
Posted By: Bing Re: Mosquito paradise - 03/16/20 08:36 PM
Do you have a pond close ? Most pond owners with a bluegill population don't have this problem. The bluegill send to eat the mosquito larvae laid in the pond.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Mosquito paradise - 03/16/20 08:55 PM
Yeah, it is at my pond. Plenty of fish. Maybe standing water sources from all the rain?
Posted By: ar_confederate Re: Mosquito paradise - 03/17/20 01:15 AM
The mosquitoes and gnats are the worst that we've had in the 5 years that we've lives here. I also don't see any BG here this year. I think that I have been hit by an otter or something.
Posted By: ShortCut Re: Mosquito paradise - 03/17/20 03:39 AM
So far the mosquitoes are minimal at my valley. The wetland was dry all winter and I got FHM stocked early compared to last year. Maybe I got ahead of them? Biting gnats have been annoying but not as bad as last year.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Mosquito paradise - 03/31/20 05:55 PM
It's a little early for mosquitoes in my neck of the woods, but last year it got bad here with all the excessive rain. There where standing puddles that never seemed to go away, all summer. I tried a product called Mosquito Dunks, tossed in those puddles and swampy areas. It seemed to make the back yard better.
Posted By: ShortCut Re: Mosquito paradise - 03/31/20 08:44 PM
The biting gnats are pretty bad now. Seeing a few more mosquitoes but also dragonflies!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Mosquito paradise - 04/01/20 03:23 PM
Haven’t seen one at home or in the country
Posted By: anthropic Re: Mosquito paradise - 04/07/20 05:52 AM
Lately I've seen fewer mosquitoes and a heck of a lot of dragonflies. Yes!😀
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Mosquito paradise - 05/07/20 02:07 PM
Does anyone have any experience using minnows in those shallow (1-2 feet) mosquito breeding puddles? Good or bad?
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Mosquito paradise - 05/07/20 06:26 PM
From what the article says... It works. One minnow eats up to 100 larvae a day.

Just ordered 10lbs of minnows to go to work on about an acre of frog puddles up to knee deep, surrounding my yard.
Let's see... 300 minnows per pound x 10 pounds x 100 larvae = 300,000 mosquitoes eliminated per day. Should help.

We'll see how June goes. I'll let ya know.

https://beyondpesticides.org/dailyn...ase-density-larval-mosquitoes-ponds-114/
© Pond Boss Forum