Pond Boss
Posted By: platon20 Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/08/20 11:05 PM
I have a 3 acre pond which has mostly bluegill and smallmouth bass.

I can catch bluegill with no problem but I can't catch anything else.

For bluegill I found the best bait is just small pieces of ham.

For the bass I've tried all kinds of artificial lures from small fish (approx 1" long) all the way up to 6"

I've tried worms, both live and artificial.

Pond depth is about 12 feet in the middle.

Here are my questions:

1. Do artificial lures work at all or do I have to use live bait?

2. Do I need to put sinkers on the line to get the hook all the way to the bottom of the pond?

3. How deep below the surface are most of the bass active?

4. Are bass active at all in the fall/winter months? Water temp is 50 degrees today with 65 outside temp. Is it useless to fish for bass until the water temps and air temps rise?

5. Do bass come anywhere near the shoreline or are they always just out in the deep part in the middle? I'm trying to decide whether its pointless to fish from the pond edge where the max depth I can cast is about up to 5 feet.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/08/20 11:25 PM
Smallmouth bass generally can't control bluegill numbers very well. You may have a small number of bass with huge numbers of bluegill easily available, so is difficult to get the smallmouth to bite.

When did you stock the smallmouth & bluegill? Do you have other fish in your pond?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/09/20 02:19 PM
I know nothing about smallmouth bass. First time I recall anyone stocking them in north Central Texas. What is the closest town?
Posted By: platon20 Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/09/20 09:47 PM
Closest town is Gunter (north of DFW area)

I'm not sure if there are any other fish, the bass and bluegill are the only ones I've been able to positively identify. It's possible there are other types as well.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/09/20 10:47 PM
Are you sure they are smallmouth?
Posted By: platon20 Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/10/20 12:12 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like the mouth doesn't extend past the eyes. However I've only caught a couple of bass (and probably 50+ bluegill) so it's possible I'm mistaken
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/10/20 01:42 PM
FWIW...I have booth SMB and LMB in my small pond. My go to bait for SMB when fishing is slow is a live golden shiner (GSH) under a bobber with no weight. The fusiform shape of GSH seems to make them more appealing to SMB than a small BG. I've had good luck catching SMB on spinner baits such as Rooster Tails as well. Post a picture next time you catch one of your bass...

Good fishing!

Bill D.
Posted By: platon20 Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 02:03 AM
OK I did catch one yesterday that actually looks like a juvenile largemouth bass.

Can you guys confirm in the pic below?

Attached picture largemouth bass1.jpg
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 02:14 AM
I’d say LMB but I’m wrong a lot..... lol
Posted By: Uncle Shawn Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 02:30 AM
That is a very nice LMB you have laying there! Be sure to be gentle with its jaw so it will grow very big and test your might and skill one day! grin

I've fished just about every live bait, hard and soft bait imanageable when going after both LMB and SMB. As long as you have the patience, soft plastics are always productive for me. I found and that the first thing to learn was picking the right colors for my surroundings, water and weather. After that, drop shot away and the fish will play! Good luck and good fish'n!

Shawn
Posted By: anthropic Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 04:15 AM
Looks like a largemouth to me.
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 10:15 AM
I agree with it being a LMB also at least the SMB around me will have some red in their eye. I also second the dropshot fishing method works well. I'd also throw some roostertails.
Posted By: Flame Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 12:12 PM
Very healthy looking largemouth. Beautiful colors! Looks like it is getting plenty to eat but how long is that fish?
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 01:04 PM
Looks like a 12 or 13" male to me. This is the only time of year that I can make a guess at the sexes. I lean toward culling those in my pond but not knowing your pond or it's history I would not make that recommendation to you.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 01:07 PM
Might that be a spotted bass?

The mouth does look 'smaller' than a LMB.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/12/20 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Might that be a spotted bass?

The mouth does look 'smaller' than a LMB.

Im with Sunil, the mouth looks small for a LMB to me. but that may be an optical illusion from the camera angle, the body definitely looks like a LMB
Posted By: Snipe Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/13/20 01:16 AM
No horizontal lines below lateral.. LMB.
Posted By: Uncle Shawn Re: Tips on fishing for a newbie - 02/13/20 06:08 AM
All good points. A second look, I can't tell if the upper jaw extends be on the back of the eye because it's mouth is open and it's an odd angle. Either way, beautiful fish and appropriate fillet size! laugh

Shawn
© Pond Boss Forum