Pond Boss
Posted By: tim k new question - 06/30/19 12:48 AM
Ok I got hydrilla in my 1.5 acre pond - I have tons of bait fish and nice bass. The hydrilla was taking over my pond so I hired some folks to come kill the stuff. They did a great job and did it in two phases - so it killed my hydrilla - pond looks awesome.

Prior to treating it I put 20 grass carp in to try to eat the hydrilla back - but it was too far gone and they could not control it. I also may have lost some of the carp to heavy rains that caused my water to go over my spillway.

So now I sit here with a beautiful pond and lots of fish in it. However there is pretty much no vegitation in the pond right now - so I am worried my bait fish have no place for safety from the bass.

I do have some structure in the pond - huge old tires along with some xMas trees standing up. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Shorty Re: new question - 06/30/19 01:03 AM
I would think about possibly thinning out some of the smaller LMB.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: new question - 06/30/19 09:15 AM
Tim, I depend on cedar trees for structure. They last about 4 years but I'm butt deep in them so will never have a shortage.
Posted By: tim k Re: new question - 06/30/19 11:51 AM
yeah I have plenty of cedar trees too - guess I will just add some more to the pond - thanks
Posted By: gehajake Re: new question - 06/30/19 09:59 PM
When adding cedar trees, is it advisable to lightly burn the needles off of them? I have had problems with them turning into a huge glob of moss, had people advise me to to burn the needles off them first to make a slightly more open structure that doesn't catch as much moss. Thanks!
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: new question - 07/01/19 01:29 AM
Unless you're in a hurry to get them in the water, you could just let them dry up on their own after you cut them then knock the needles off.
© Pond Boss Forum