Pond Boss
Posted By: bcraley Jar test results in pictures - 03/28/19 04:27 PM
I took a jar and set it in my garage. Here are the results. 15 days to get 'clear'. Is this typical? Pics attached for visual timeline.

Thanks!

Attached picture Day 0.jpg
Attached picture Day2.jpg
Attached picture Day6.jpg
Attached picture Day10.jpg
Attached picture Day13.jpg
Attached picture Day15.jpg
Posted By: KapHn8d Re: Jar test results in pictures - 03/28/19 07:45 PM
Looks like you scooped that out of my minipond. wink

/c
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Jar test results in pictures - 03/28/19 08:35 PM
15 days sounds longer than most I read about. Was it in total darkness?

Otherwise, any light absorbing "stuff" could continue to prosper and keep up the cloudiness.
Posted By: bcraley Re: Jar test results in pictures - 03/28/19 10:29 PM
Was not total darkness. It was in my garage. Garage door has windows.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Jar test results in pictures - 03/28/19 11:13 PM
Lots of suspended “stuff”
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Jar test results in pictures - 03/29/19 01:00 AM
Most of the turbidity was caused by fine silt and detritus. Some of the finest clay and algae most likely remains after 15 days. If you let it sit longer the finest clay particles will likely settle more making it clearer.

Generally just after ice out for about 2-3 weeks the water will be the clearest of the entire year unless there is a lot of wind & waves that can stir up sediments. As water warms more biological activity and fish actions increases turbidity increases. The good thing about turbidity such as yours is it is natural light suppression and weed and algae growth does not grow very well, but neither does the phytoplankton.
Posted By: bcraley Re: Jar test results in pictures - 04/02/19 02:36 AM

I still have a significant amnout of exposed (unvegitated ground) that I am assuming is considerable contribution to the turbid water. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that as grass and other plants establish this spring I will see direct correlation to clearer water. I did a bunch of later fall planting of native grasses.

This turbid water is working my anxiety!
Posted By: bcraley Re: Jar test results in pictures - 06/28/19 05:37 PM
As a followup to this now almost 3 month old thread.

As of last night I have 30+ inch secchi visibility and some very nice green color to the water. I've done nothing in terms of additives or corrections to the water for clarity. I've been focusing all my efforts on vegetating the watershed. I'll try to take a jar and post pics this weekend for comparison.

concern over if my newly dug pond would ever clear was focal for me and I suspect other new pond owners... hopefully if found, this post will be reassurance for others to keep working on vegetating the watershed before dumping corrective chemicals and money into the pond.

Background pond is ~ 1/3 acre and was dug 15 months ago. Full 6 months ago. Stocked FHM last may. Stocked YP, SMB and RES early April. All fish seem to be doing well.
© Pond Boss Forum