Pond Boss
Posted By: Quarter Acre A Pond Log by QA - 08/23/18 12:14 AM
This is not a thread about the thicker lower section of a tree that happens to be in a pond, however, I suppose, it could be, but it is not intended to be, just yet.

I just wanted to start a thread of some observations that I make while tending the pond. I wish I would have started this "diary" of non-specific topics the day that I began the process of refurbishing the ole'water hole. At any rate, please share as I go if you care to, otherwise enjoy my rambling.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 08/23/18 12:27 AM
The first observation that I would like to enter is something that I saw today...A little background...

I bucket stocked crawdads from the creek behind the house all last summer. Some I trapped, some I caught with a net. All in all, I estimate that I put in about 300 crawdads (I stopped counting around 200). There were a few that where stocked that were about 4" long from tip of tail to tip of nose, but most were 1 to 2" long.

Today, I witnessed a few of those crawdads "coming out" to collect small feed pellets as they drifted towards shore. These guys were about 4 to 5 inches long and, at one point, two of them were fighting over the right to collect pellets from the large stone under the drain pipe. They were collecting the Optimal starter #4 pellets as fast as they could and stuffing them in their mouth just as fast. I hope the growth rates of the fish and crawdads due to the fish food rubs off on the deer around here!

Who would have thought that crawdads would feed train? I'll be looking for them more often and even throwing some feed closer to the shore just for them.

Attached picture Feed Trained Crawdads.jpg
Posted By: Clay N' Pray Re: Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 08/23/18 09:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
The first observation that I would like to enter is something that I saw today...A little background...

I bucket stocked crawdads from the creek behind the house all last summer. Some I trapped, some I caught with a net. All in all, I estimate that I put in about 300 crawdads (I stopped counting around 200). There were a few that where stocked that were about 4" long from tip of tail to tip of nose, but most were 1 to 2" long.

Today, I witnessed a few of those crawdads "coming out" to collect small feed pellets as they drifted towards shore. These guys were about 4 to 5 inches long and, at one point, two of them were fighting over the right to collect pellets from the large stone under the drain pipe. They were collecting the Optimal starter #4 pellets as fast as they could and stuffing them in their mouth just as fast. I hope the growth rates of the fish and crawdads due to the fish food rubs off on the deer around here!

Who would have thought that crawdads would feed train? I'll be looking for them more often and even throwing some feed closer to the shore just for them.

You should get a mini lobster trap and put it on That rock. Would make a cool pic.
Posted By: Flame Re: Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 08/23/18 01:02 PM
Q A, I did start a log from the first day they started digging my 2 acre pond. It has been soooo helpful to look back on any given day over the last 4 years!!! When I first stocked and transported my 4 inch pure Florida feed trained lmb I only had 2 dead fish in the bag. I actually even retained those two fish and put them in my freezer!! I dated the freezer bag and is fun to just look back at the size I started with. As you prob. know I have caught 3 1/2 pounders that are only 16 inch long!! Rw of around 155%. These fish were only 2 years old. Keeping accurate records is one of the best tools you can have. I document every time I see a duck,bullfrogs,otters,gbh,water levels and temps,algea blooms, spawning dates,how much feed,and record every inch of rain we get. I know exactly when and how many fish I stocked and at what cost. It has all proven very valuable. Good luck with yours. Oh, and of course I have pictures of everything possible and video if I can. It is amazing what you will forget from just one year ago without logging it down.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Pond Records - 08/23/18 01:39 PM
I should also log that I broke the Pond Record for HSB yesterday too. The previous record was the first one caught and documented here...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=38025&Number=494998#Post494998

Yesterday's HSB was 12 inches long and weighed just over 1 pound. A second one was caught just under 1 pound. These HSB are in the neighborhood of 1.14 relative weight. Sure wish I had taken some time at stocking to weigh some of the young fish last April. I was too worried about getting them in the pond without casualties.

Side note: The 3-5" HBG are now 4 -6" long and typically weigh close to 1/4 pound.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Interesting Bee on the Arrowhead - 08/26/18 05:55 PM
I saw this bee yesterday whose legs are heavily weighted down with pollen. Ragweed, Golden Rod, Black/Brown Eyed Susans, Ox-Eyes, and Arrow Head are now in full bloom. I have never come across a bee that is all black like this. It was very tolerant of me only being 5 inches or so from him trying to take pictures. I got it in flight and if you look closely you can see the blur of the wings. Anybody now what kind of bee this is?

Attached picture Bee.jpg
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: Interesting Bee on the Arowhead - 08/26/18 09:10 PM
A very busy bee!

Could be a Mason Bee.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Interesting Bee on the Arowhead - 08/26/18 11:46 PM
Hard to tell just how big that critter is. If its larger, like the size of a bubble bee, we have a lot of those around here. They're wood borer bees. They chew holes in dead timber/lumber and lay their eggs inside, fill the hole with pollen, then seal it up. Whatever they use to plug the hole dries like concrete. They're pretty docile, and I dont think I've ever heard of them stinging unless you actually grab one. Some people call them "news bees", because they'll hover in your face like they're trying to tell you something. We see them from solid black, like yours, to having a single yellow band across the top of the abdomen. I've seen them all over the SE US, but more so the further south you go.

If it isn't that large, tho, I have no clue.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Interesting Bee on the Arrowhead - 08/26/18 11:55 PM
Well, I admit, I did not give any size reference. It is actually about the size of a honey bee. We have the wood borer bees around here and I can see the resemblance even though the wood borers in the old barn have some yellow to them even though slight. They will be the finial demise of the barn if I don't tear it down first. This guy by the pond was all dark. pretty much black.

I will image search the mason bee and see what comes of that.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Interesting Bee on the Arowhead - 08/27/18 02:31 AM
You got that right about wood borers, Noel. They will reak pure havok on a barn, porch, or anything made of wood for that matter.

They make a real neat popping sound when you hit them with a tennis racket!!
Posted By: RAH Re: Interesting Bee on the Arowhead - 08/27/18 10:09 AM
Perhaps a mason bee?

https://mason.bees.supply/

Carpenter bees look quite a bit stockier, but share the glossy black abdomen. Mason bees naturally nest in hollow weed stems, but are commercially kept in "straws".
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Interesting Bee on the Arrowhead - 08/27/18 06:35 PM
With a little "looking around" on the net, I think that a Mason Bee is a strong possibility. You know that there is a hobby that revolves around catering to the Mason Bees?

Anyhow, the feed trained crawdads are coming on strong. I fed yesterday and counted 8 crawdads of size combing the shoreline rocks and plants for the pellets. About as quick as I counted the eight some would disappear while another would appear somewhere else. There's a bunch of those buggars doing really well. The ones I see are 4 to 5 inches long which is big for my neck of the woods.

Do you think that crawdads will cut down rather big arrowhead stems? I am seeing quite a few felled stalks.
Posted By: Dam'dWaters Re: Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 08/27/18 07:32 PM
Great observations on the crawdads. Mine love the leftover pellets too. When I saw your pics/story about their feeding habits, I had to share this pic from earlier this summer at my pond. Hunger has a way of getting anyone into trouble..... this guy is no exception. 1st one I ever got with a hook/worm!

Attached picture 20180720_170929.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Snake and Crawdad Standoff. - 08/27/18 09:12 PM
Nice Catch DW! It's been a long time ago, but my Grandpa would take me fishing for crawdads in the road ditches out in Kansas.

I wish I would have photo captured a brief moment the other day between a common brown water snake a crawdad. It was feeding time and the crawdad managed to move in nose to nose with this snake (actually touching). I think it is evidence that the pond inhabitants are "fat and happy". The snake did not move and once the crawdad realized what he was doing...backwards into the water and he was gone.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Snake and Crawdad Standoff. - 08/28/18 12:10 AM
Now, I have to one up myself. I saw a different snake of the same kind tonight actually get run off by a crawdad during feeding time. The snake was sitting on the rocks, mostly in the water, while a crawdad crawls up mostly out of the water and starts pinching at the snakes head. The snake flinches and abruptly turns about face and slithers into the depths. I did get some video of the crawdads crawling nearby and slightly on the snake, but did not get the actual confrontation.

It's pretty cool what you can witness if you just stop for 20 minutes and look around!
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Snake and Crawdad Standoff. - 08/28/18 01:19 AM
When my pond first filled up, I saw a few small crawfish, but haven't seen one since Hurricane Harvey flooded the place. I didn't have much in the way of hiding places for them back then, tho. They're everywhere down here, so maybe they'll come back on their own, or they may just stay in the clay till after dark and I just dont see them. Come spring, I'll probably go drag a net in the ditches and drop of few in the pond.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Snake and Crawdad Standoff. - 08/28/18 11:20 AM
Mike, dragging the ditches and pot holes is how I got mine started in the pond. In the early spring it was pretty easy to drag up a thousand 1/4" to 1" crays and transport them to the pond. I did it thinking I could feed the res and maybe they would grow to feed the lmb. Today I have an established population in the pond after moving about 2500 of the small crays into the pond in the first two years. I did run into a problem by doing that. The craws will dine on the plants in the pond and its been pretty hard to get the desirable plants going. It might be better to get some good plants going before introducing the craws.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Crawdad Ingenuity - 08/29/18 04:12 PM
I don't typically care for overdone "One Upmanship", but I guess it's alright since I am one up'ing my own stories (and without exaggeration to boot).

So, the crawdads are continuing to amaze me. The first photo is for reference. Notice that the circled crawdad is about 15 feet from shore and in about 6 feet of water. I had just fed the fish and thrown some pellets close to the banks for the craws. I don't typically feed on this side of the dock, but just started feeding a little bit on this side just for the craws.

I have no idea how this guy got out this far into the pond in only a few moments after the feed was thrown, but there he is...

Happy as a crawdad can be...

I gave him a few extra pellets for the effort and eventually he released from the arrowhead stem and disappeared.

Attached picture 01.jpg
Attached picture 02.jpg
Attached picture 03.jpg
Posted By: ewest Re: Crawdad Ingenuity - 08/29/18 05:11 PM
Great camera work Quarter Acre. Surprised a predator did not get him.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Crawdad Ingenuity - 08/29/18 06:01 PM
Surprises me that you have craws freely moving about. Here they are almost all snug in their holes...
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Crawdad Ingenuity - 08/29/18 07:29 PM
The only fish in the pond that could mouth him would be 1 pound HSB and they tend to hang out in deeper water and away from the dock. I doubt that there will be as many crawdads next year as the FHM's diminish and the game fish get larger.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Snake and Crawdad Standoff. - 08/29/18 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Mike, dragging the ditches and pot holes is how I got mine started in the pond. In the early spring it was pretty easy to drag up a thousand 1/4" to 1" crays and transport them to the pond. I did it thinking I could feed the res and maybe they would grow to feed the lmb. Today I have an established population in the pond after moving about 2500 of the small crays into the pond in the first two years. I did run into a problem by doing that. The craws will dine on the plants in the pond and its been pretty hard to get the desirable plants going. It might be better to get some good plants going before introducing the craws.

I've considered that QA. As it is, the only grasses I have in the water is some water willow, one clump of a cattail looking plant, some rush and one clump of something that looks kind of like an arrowhead, only it has a single spear type blade on the end of each stalk. Everything else is growing from the shoreline out into the water. Not sure what it is either. But it is creating some decent shading right against the shoreline.

I do have some FA, not a lot, but if they want to eat it, they can have it!!!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Recruitment Observed - 09/11/18 12:58 PM
I thought I was seeing some odd looking minnows at feeding time lately. Last night I got a better look at the odd fellows and it turns out that they are YOY from the HBG (or RES). I only saw a few, they were about 2 inches long, the same as most of the FHM's that surface for feed, but they were more laterally compressed and deep with some darker colorings.

Now, I'm wondering what to do about it if anything. I still have tons of FHM's. I am feeding the HBG and HSB about 1/2 to 1 pound a day and do not believe that the YOY are important to the health of the pond this year. I'll try to trap some this week and see what they are. If they are HBG, they may go to the creek. If they are RES, I think they can stay as my fish have a lot of black spot grubs.
Posted By: Quarter Acre New Pond Records - 09/19/18 07:31 PM
Well, a close friend came to visit last week and now has the pond HSB record. After 4-1/2 months of being in the pond, it is now 1.3 pounds and about 13 inches long. It went in between 4 and 6 inches long.

I managed to beat my old HBG record, not by much, but its mine anyhow. (I'll have to get the HSB record back real soon too.) The HBG record is now 0.28 pounds at just over 6 inches long...

I'm a happy pondmeister!

Attached picture Hoff Record HSB.jpg
Attached picture Sept HSB Record.jpg
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: New Pond Records - 09/20/18 04:55 PM
Wow.. You actually caught a HSB! Mine are extremely elusive. Have been in since October of 2015. None have ever been caught. Mind sharing your technique for actually getting one on a hook?
Thx
Jeff
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: New Pond Records - 09/22/18 01:27 AM
I fish in the evening before I feed (if bites are lacking, I feed. Not sure if that actually helps with the hsb, seems to improve the hbg bites though). I use a white #1 mepps(barbs pinched) and a medium light rod and reel. I cast out in the middle and give the rod a quick but steady pull to get the spinner spinning, then reel the lure in as slow as I can while keeping the spinner active. That's it. The lure runs deep enough to stay out of sight (20 inches or deeper) and hits are sudden and hard, no playing around like LMB can tend to do. Of course, I've only caught 4 or 5. There main foods are fhm and pellets.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 09/22/18 12:36 PM
Your crawfish are a great success QA. I see you have some good habitat for them also.

HSB and HBG look great as well. Excellent growth.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: New Pond Records - 09/22/18 12:57 PM
I’ll give it a shot. I’ve tried everything else, short of dynamite.
Thx
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 09/24/18 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: jpsdad
Your crawfish are a great success QA. I see you have some good habitat for them also.

HSB and HBG look great as well. Excellent growth.

Thanks jps...I counted 12 craws last weekend eating the pellets all within the 20 feet of bank that I have taken to throwing a little food at. They all appeared out from the shadows in a matter of a minute once the food as thrown.

And Jeff...I lied to you. I have been using a Rooster Tail brand spinner, not a Mepps and its smaller than a #1 Mepps too, but if your HSB have been in the pond for several years a small spinner will likely get swallowed. I actually had HBG get that small Rooster Tail swallowed pretty deep the other day and I have stepped up to that #1 Mepps. I didn't catch a thing however. But, I have altered my aeration timing to days instead of nights which has the fish out of whack as well. Good fishing to you!
Posted By: Flame Re: Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 09/24/18 10:30 PM
On all your little treble hooks you can still cut off two of the 3 hooks and bends and pinch the barb down on the remaining one. Just makes it a lot easier to remove. One hook is all you really need IMO.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Feed Trained Crawdads??? - 09/24/18 11:41 PM

And Jeff...I lied to you. I have been using a Rooster Tail brand spinner, not a Mepps and its smaller than a #1 Mepps too, but if your HSB have been in the pond for several years a small spinner will likely get swallowed. I actually had HBG get that small Rooster Tail swallowed pretty deep the other day and I have stepped up to that #1 Mepps. I didn't catch a thing however. But, I have altered my aeration timing to days instead of nights which has the fish out of whack as well. Good fishing to you!

Thanks! I’ve recruited my son in law to help with this project. To catch the uncatchable! We will try anything and everything.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fish's First Fall Observations - 09/27/18 11:36 PM
Three things have happened over the last week or so...natural and induced by myself.

First off, the night time air temps have dropped well below the pond's water temps (air is in the 50's at night while the water was at upper 70's). Daytime temps are barely above the pond temps as well (Daytime air temps in the 70s compared to water temps at 69 degrees F today).

Secondly, I have switched to running the aeration from a 9pm - 9am night time schedule to a daytime 9am - 1pm schedule in an attempt to keep from cooling the pond down and possibly warming it slightly during the day. The end result has been vague at best. The pond temps have dropped from the upper 70's to upper 60's despite the aeration change. Maybe it slowed the drop down, but I've not been impressed. It seems like summer just quit and let fall come right in the door. (the weather has been beautiful for being outside, however)

And lastly, with the aeration and temp changes...the fish have slowed way down on feeding and, even though there has been regular fishing, the catching as been lacking. I will continue to aerate for the near future during the day, I guess until daily air temps become below the water temps...then taper the air off and reserve the shallow diffuser for ice-off duty.

The crawdads, however, are really proving themselves. I bought a small throw net for fun and spent 30 minutes today goofing around the pond and probably caught 40 - 4" to 5" long virile craws. I released them to provide next years generation, but next year...I may have a small boil.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fish's First Fall Observations - 09/28/18 05:37 PM
Fall is an important time for fish going into winter especially in northern areas. They need to feed to add reserves for winter. Next PB mag has an article on this so be sure to subscribe.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: New Pond Records - 10/08/18 12:59 PM
I have bested my friend's recent record at my pond for HSB. Yesterdays HSB catch was 1.4 pounds at about 13 inches. 1/10th of a pound heavier may not be much, but I'll take it! It took me several weeks to get one to even bite. There has been only one HSB caught since the last record catch (three weeks)and I did not have the scale with me to check it's weight. It's nice to have the record back in my name...I think I will give the pond a break now from any fishing pressure.

Attached picture Oct Record HSB.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Fall Aeration Schedule Change - 10/10/18 01:26 PM
Log Entry...The outside air temps have been expected to drop about 30 degrees this week (highs in the 80's to highs in the 40's) and I have changed the aeration time from (9am to 1pm) to (noon to 4pm). Right, wrong, or indifferent I assume that running the air during the warmest part of the day is best until the outside air temps cool below the water temps. This should happen today as the high is forecast to be 63F and the water temps have been in the upper 60's. I will be cutting the air times in half daily until the 15 minute mark is hit this weekend and then shutting it down, unless convinced otherwise. The theory I am sticking with is that the aeration needs to stop once the air temps get below the water temps.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Fall Aeration Schedule Change - 10/11/18 12:34 PM
Observations have shown me that as long as there isn't a ton of wind, the water will chill from the bottom up, as well as the top inch or two will be chilled. That top layer gets heavy enough, it sinks in areas to the bottom, and you can see this take place at the surface when you have no wind with small waves out of nowhere. There will be a warmish layer between the two cold where the fish will hang out until the warm layer mixes out.

I would assume aeration would break up that warm layer, so that the entire column would be about the same temperature except for maybe the top couple of inches, slowing the bottom cooling but speeding up the warm layer cooling.

Personally I would turn off aeration during fast cold snaps, no need to speed up the chilling process and ruin the refuge in a warmish layer. The natural turnover of that top cold layer to the bottom will bring down plenty of dissolved O2. Of course these events are usually accompanied by high winds, so it probably makes no difference one way or the other, unless you are talking at night when everything has gone still.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fall Aeration Schedule Change - 10/12/18 12:55 PM
Thanks for chiming in with your observations Liquid! Its' amazing how I never stop learning new things here, you have given me even more to ponder and watch for.

Yesterday's high was 53, today's is supposed to be 47. I quickly ramped my aeration times down this week and it won't be running today. The pond water column last night was 67 to 68 degrees and feeding was practically nonexistent with the exception of some FHM's and, of course, the crawdads. I will be checking the temps over the next several days to watch for cold weather stratification.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fall Observations - 10/18/18 01:57 PM
More observations for the record...I have been watching the pond's water column getting cooler and cooler. It has dropped from the upper 60's to the mid-upper 50's in the last week with the bottom at 7 foot a few degrees cooler than the upper sections. No evidence of stratification yet;keep in mind that the pond is 10 foot deep and my dock only allows easy temp readings down to 7 foot deep.

Feeding is pretty much non-existent by the game fish, maybe a few isolated surface takers. The minnows have stayed hidden for the most part, but the feed mostly disappears or gets dispersed by the FHM's over the course of 30 minutes. I will reduce the feeding from 1/3 pound/day in half and suspect that the will be reduced even further over the next week or so.

The crawdad's feeding enthusiasm has diminished, as well. It takes longer for them to show up to feed and it seems that there are only about half as many visible(6 total vs 12 before)at any given time. And, they are moving slower too.

Before too long it will be a chore to "hang out" at the dock and take readings...I don't like the cold!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fall Observations - 11/21/18 09:09 PM
Well, a month has gone by and not much change.

Last night's water temps showed 40 to 42 (degrees F) from top to bottom. I keep thinking that it should be warmer towards the bottom. I do not expect to see stratification with the aerators on, but they have been off for over a month. Where's the stratification? I only measure temps down to the bottom at the end of the dock...7 foot deep, but the pond is 10 foot deep out in the middle. I guess I need to tie a longer cord to my thermometer and give it a good throw out in to the pond...my stratification plane may be below 7 foot.

We did get a thin layer of ice over the pond a week or so ago that lasted a few days. Pretty early for ice on the pond, but it's gone now.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Fall Observations - 12/12/18 08:50 PM
As a little aside, last week I changed my aquarium water, and added water that was a little too warm. Maybe only about 5 degrees F too warm. It stratified on the top 8 inches or so, and the filter didn't stir it up very quickly.

I fed the fish, and all but a couple of them REFUSED to go through that warm layer to the food. I suppose this relates to when we observe our pond fish not coming to feed at the surface. They may not feel comfortable jumping through the sharp jumps in temperature, and will instead wait for the food to come down to them.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Fall Observations - 12/12/18 09:13 PM
Well, a month has gone by and not much change.

Last night's water temps showed 40 to 42 (degrees F) from top to bottom. I keep thinking that it should be warmer towards the bottom. I do not expect to see stratification with the aerators on, but they have been off for over a month. Where's the stratification? I only measure temps down to the bottom at the end of the dock...7 foot deep, but the pond is 10 foot deep out in the middle. I guess I need to tie a longer cord to my thermometer and give it a good throw out in to the pond...my stratification plane may be below 7 foot.

We did get a thin layer of ice over the pond a week or so ago that lasted a few days. Pretty early for ice on the pond, but it's gone now.

Hi QA,

There are many reasons why it might not stratify yet. But here's one -- the water isn't cold enough.

The relationship of water density to temperature is parabolic. Meaning, the density of water increases as it cools--for a while. Then it goes down again. (see chart)

In the fall and early winter, the water cools at the surface and sinks. This water movement is often called pond turnover and keeps happening until the magic temperature of 39F is reached top-to-bottom. 39F is the temperature at which water is maximally dense.

Then it stops. When the water at the surface cools below 39F, it becomes less dense and won't sink. It will 'float' on top. The 39F water at the bottom is dense, and it will stay there. This is the winter stratification pattern.

Note that it's opposite of the summer stratification pattern, which is in a temperature range where the cooler water is more dense!

Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Fall Observations - 12/13/18 02:31 AM
That's interesting information Bocomo.

It also raises several questions for those of us way down south. What if your pond surface never sees 39F? Does it not have a winter turn over? Or just not as quickly?

I shut my aeration down about the same time as QA, and at that time, the variance top to bottom (10ft) was 3 degrees, and while I haven't taken a top to bottom reading recently, my last surface reading was still above 50 this past weekend.

Before aeration, I know the pond had a spring turnover, as you could see it.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fall Observations - 12/13/18 04:11 PM
That helps my understanding a lot Bocomo. Thanks for the info! I always thought that the water near the bottom would be thermally warmed by the surrounding earth, kind of like how a cave is always 60 degrees F. I would, now surmise that the opposite is happening. The surrounding earth is being overpowered and cooled by the cooler, sinking water.

I'll have to put more thought into this to really wrap my head around it.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Fall Observations - 12/13/18 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley

It also raises several questions for those of us way down south. What if your pond surface never sees 39F? Does it not have a winter turn over? Or just not as quickly?

It will still turnover as the water cools at the surface and sinks. It just won't stratify in the same manner.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Fall Observations - 12/13/18 04:36 PM
That helps my understanding a lot Bocomo. Thanks for the info! I always thought that the water near the bottom would be thermally warmed by the surrounding earth, kind of like how a cave is always 60 degrees F. I would, now surmise that the opposite is happening. The surrounding earth is being overpowered and cooled by the cooler, sinking water.

I'll have to put more thought into this to really wrap my head around it.

Your first instinct is still correct, though! There is definitely heat transfer between the pond water and the pond bottom. If the ground is still very hot it will slow the cooling of the pond when air temperatures drop. That's probably as far as I want to go in terms of a scientific explanation. The dynamics of heat transfer in open systems is beyond my expertise as I'm a biochemist and much better at closed systems than open ones.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fall Observations - 12/17/18 08:03 PM
Just some recent events I wanted to document...

I received some rain a couple weeks ago that must of come down in a short period of time because the overflow pipe was really letting the water out. This rain muddied the pond up pretty bad. Secchi readings were about 30" and were reduced to 12" overnight. I have also turned the aeration system on for a couple hours a day to help keep the periodic, but frequent, ice overs open. This might be adding to the muddy water, but I doubt it as it's only runing one of the diffusers and it's in about the 3 foot depth.

Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Fall Observations - 12/17/18 09:27 PM
Of interest, we has a heavy rain a couple of weeks ago when it got warm out suddenly, it quickly melted off the ice. What was cool is the warm, muddy rainwater "floated" on the top foot or two, and everything below was clear and cold. The muddy water went in, and right back out the spillway.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Fall Observations - 12/18/18 03:05 PM
I was up at our pond last week. I had 3-4” of ice (I don’t aerate). Having these warmer days in the 50s might melt it off. My water is pretty clear right now. I can look down throug the ice fairly far. (12-18”) I didn’t see any activity below the ice. Not sure how far south of me you are.
Do you fish in the winter? I bought a manual ice auger a few years ago, but we haven’t had a good prolonged cold snap to get thick enough ice for me to try it. Up there alone, I’m a little hesitant to go out on the ice.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Fall Observations - 12/18/18 03:32 PM
Living just east of Lake Michigan must really keep our weather mild! I can't believe that in Missouri and Kansas that folks have 3-4" of ice already! We have barely gone below freezing at night at all outside of a little snow that came around Thanksgiving! Green Christmas again this year for sure..
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Fall Observations - 12/19/18 12:39 PM
We had a week with nighttime temps in the teens or low 20s. Cloudy all day and in the low 30s. Almost every pond I drove by was frozen over. Mine had come up a bit due to earlier rains. My feeder’s legs were all under the ice. Couldn’t budge it. Have a nice warm streak going now. Four days in the low 50s, with lots of sun. I wouldn’t walk on it before, now..
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fall Observations - 12/19/18 01:20 PM
Setterguy, I have yet to wet a line during the winter months. Before owning a pond, it was just too much to plan a day a go to open waters in the cold weather. Surely I can find time to fish some this winter, but getting out on the ice does not thrill me at all. I went to the pond to try and get bottom temp readings yesterday, but the thin layer of ice has not thawed to allow the throw and retrieval of my thermometer. If not today, this warm streak should allow for it tomorrow. It's amazing how 40 degree water can hold ice even when the last two days have been in the 50s.

I have seen several ice overs already this winter which is out of the ordinary compared to the last 7 years of owning the property, but the thickest has only been about 3/4" this winter.

Liquidsquid, Your observations of separated warm muddy water must have been a sight to see!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Fall Observations - 01/09/19 03:30 PM
Just checking in to record some observations. The pond has recieved aonther rain since mid Dec that pushed water out of the pond. The 15" overflow pipe was half full at the inlet. A fair amount of light tan foam was generated at the inlet of the pond and the thin layer of existing ice kept it from making it's way to the outlet pipe. This foam is likely protiens from the cattle and hay pastures that feed the pond. I measured water temps at the outlet of the overflow pipe, from surface to the botoom of the pond, and inlet watershed temps. They were all within a degre of 40 degrees F. I was releved that temp shock was not going to be an issue. I turned the aeration system on for a couple hours (all three diffusers) so that the ice would disipate and allow the foam to flow out. It may have made it's way to outlet pipe and/or broke up and disolved into the pond. Either way, the water flowed through the pond for more than 24 hours. At it's peek, I have estimated that it was flowing out at a rate of 7 to 9000 gallons per minute. That would be enough to completely flush the pond within a coule of hours (given uniform flow from inlet to outlet which would not necessarilyu be the case). At any rate, the pond's water was mostly exchanged during the 24 four period of inflow.

Ever since the heavy mid December rain, the water clarity has hovered around the 12 inch mark except for the day of receent heavy rains and it was reduce to 6". I think the two hours of aeration per day contributes to the low clarity, but I hestitate to turn it off to find out. Last year's clarity was near 30" all winter long (without any aeration).

PS: I fished the pond twice since my last entry for about 15 minutes per trip, it started to drizzle both times, it was cold, no bites whatsoever...I went back to the warm shop. My spinner may be too fast of an action for 40 degree water.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 03/26/19 03:27 PM
I threw out some left over feed yesterday to find some, but slight interest from the HBG. If the HSB were there, they stayed low enough not to cause any swirls. It has been about a month since I tried to feed anything and had no takers then. It's time to get the feeder ready and some fresh food on order. Water temps were 46 on the bottom and 52 towards the top.

Pond has been very muddy all winter. We have had a lot of rain runoff and the single shallow diffuser seems to add to the murky waters.

I will be setting up all three diffusers to start functioning soon. I think I will start that process as if it were starting up for the first time...15 minutes first day, double the time every day thereafter that until I am up and running 24 hours a day. Once summer hits, I will have to reduce it down to nighttime operations.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: A Pond Log by QA - 03/27/19 11:37 AM
For me, I lost some fish when I doubled the diffuser time everyday. I go a little slower now when I do my start up. I would suggest a slower start up if it were me.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 03/27/19 01:46 PM
I brought my air system up last year using the basic guidelines without indecent and since the winter diffuser has been active, I hope all goes well this spring.

TG, my pond was recently renovated and has very little muck on the bottom to add to the poisoning effect. I think all will be fine, we'll see. I will, by default, be bringing the system up a little slower than prescribed because I will be seeing some cooler temps this coming weekend and will not double the run times if the temperatures do not cooperate. I base my air schedule solely on water vs air temps. If the air temp is cooler during the run time, I prefer to run the air as little as possible so increasing run-time that day will be put off until air temps rise some more.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 03/27/19 01:47 PM
I have ordered Optimal Blue Gill feed for this year. I chose to bump up in feed pellet size to accommodate my growing HBG. The Optimal BG feed is 1 mm larger in diameter than the Junior and much larger than the Starter #4 that I 50/50 mixed and fed last year. The BG feed is 2% lower in proteins and lipids compared to the #4 and Junior, but I think the fish will prefer the larger pellets and eat more aggressively, especially since the FHM population is much smaller this year.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/04/19 08:46 PM
I have been feeding pellets about every over day now for the last week. The water temp near the surface have broken 50 degrees F. I am hand throwing small feed near the bank and larger out at the end of the dock. The HBG are hitting very light out in the open waters and the FHM's are showing some interest near the bank. I did see the first crawdad feeding yesterday, but only one and only for a very short time. I have been seeing a barred owl or two in the evening and they are harvesting the crawdads best I can tell. I often see a lone pincher on the dock (without the rest of the body) and I have seen, what I believe to be, owl scat on the dock posts that is mainly crawdad exoskeleton. At any rate, the pond is warming up and the feeder is ready for service.

I have also been babysitting the aerator system. It has only been running about a hour a day during the late afternoon and only on days that the temps are above the water temps.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/04/19 10:05 PM
I did see the first crawdad feeding yesterday, but only one and only for a very short time. I have been seeing a barred owl or two in the evening and they are harvesting the crawdads best I can tell. I often see a lone pincher on the dock (without the rest of the body) and I have seen, what I believe to be, owl scat on the dock posts that is mainly crawdad exoskeleton.

Very interesting! Just curious, do you think the owls are pouncing them in the very shallow areas, or waiting for them to crawl out on shore first? Any area where you think the owls hunt frequently enough to put a game camera out? It would be super neat to see how they catch a crawdad for supper! As always, thanks for the report. Here's hoping for a great summer pond season!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/05/19 04:05 PM
I would ck that scat and see if it is loaded with fish scales. If so it would be an otter. I was not familiar with otter scat and then I was frown My first sample was on the pier.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/08/19 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: DrLuke
Very interesting! Just curious, do you think the owls are pouncing them in the very shallow areas, or waiting for them to crawl out on shore first? Any area where you think the owls hunt frequently enough to put a game camera out? It would be super neat to see how they catch a crawdad for supper! As always, thanks for the report. Here's hoping for a great summer pond season!

I caught an owl at the bank the other day which is odd because when I have seen them at the pond they are always in the cedar trees. This time it was merely a few feet from the shore on the ground at about an hour before dark. I presume that it was waiting for a crawdad to make itself known in the water and then would snatch it out. The only times that I have seen the Northern Virile crawdads out of the water was after a major rain event and there was some kind of exodus going on as they were everywhere. I spent the evening picking them up out of the shop which is 150 feet from any water source (pond or creek).

My game camera went south this last year, but if I get another I will put it on the dock to watch the pond.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/08/19 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I would ck that scat and see if it is loaded with fish scales. If so it would be an otter. I was not familiar with otter scat and then I was frown My first sample was on the pier.

Here's a pic of the scat. It seems entirely composed of crawdad bits...

This one was deposited on top of the dock post which is about 4 feet tall.
Posted By: roundy Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/08/19 07:50 PM
Makes my anatomy hurt just thinking about passing that.....
Posted By: DrLuke Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/08/19 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: roundy
Makes my anatomy hurt just thinking about passing that.....

Not sure if would make you feel any better to know they regurgitate those back up? eek
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/30/19 06:24 PM
No Dr Luke, I don't feel any better. At any rate, it's not scat then...it's called a pellet. That word has a more pleasant aftertaste.

Well, the pond has been getting along with aeration from about 11am to 3pm for several weeks now. The water temps have stabilized from top to bottom around the mid 60's which tells me that the air system is turning the pond over sufficiently. Part of me wants to keep increasing the "on" time, but another part of me says good enough is good enough. Not to mention that the pond has been muddy all winter long (9-12" secchi). It recently measured 13", but that's not enough for me to hang my hat on and say it's getting better. It seems that the aeration system may be contributing to the lack of clarity. The previous winter without air the secchi readings got to be 36", this winter...no comparison with only a couple hours of air a day in the shallows. All in all, I am content knowing that the murkiness of the pond has some benefits like FA reduction and it may be a sign of good fertility.

The fish are feeding well on the new size of Optimal and the crawdads have returned to feeding as well. There does not seem to be as many, but maybe they are tending to this years YOY...not sure how that works, but I refuse to think the owls made that big of a dent...we'll see. The HSB have yet to make the big splashes during feeding time that I was accustomed to last year, but the HBG splashes seem to be bigger. I guess they grew some over the winter. I'll catch a few soon to get a baseline for this years growth. The FHM are still there even though numbers seemed to have waned over the winter, but the water temps are still in the 60's and it's hard to see much through the murk.

Plans this year are too start trapping the YOY HBG to access their recruitment, add some more HSB (about 6 or so)for ladder stocking, and start removing any HBG that get to be decent pan frying size (females if recruitment seems high).

Here's to a new pond year!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/17/19 07:36 PM
I have caught a few of the HBG this week to find them all (6 total) over last fall's record of 0.28 pounds. The largest was right at 1/2 pound and 7 inches long. The photo shows the second largest at 0.44 pounds and almost 7 inches long. Winter growth appears to have been very good even without pellet feeding. They are on their way to becoming little monsters...

Attached picture HBG.jpg
Posted By: DrLuke Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/17/19 08:49 PM
I have caught a few of the HBG this week to find them all (6 total) over last fall's record of 0.28 pounds. The largest was right at 1/2 pound and 7 inches long. The photo shows the second largest at 0.44 pounds and almost 7 inches long. Winter growth appears to have been very good even without pellet feeding. They are on their way to becoming little monsters...

Quite the chunker! Great looking HBG, QA! Do they fight the same, better, or different than BG? Just curious, since I don't have them in our pond.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/17/19 08:56 PM
I can't say for sure, my traditional rod and real combos for going fishing beyond my property are more stout while the rod I have been using a my pond has a very light drag and is only 4 feet long. I would bet that a wild (not pellet fed) BG would give a better fight. I think my fish are more domesticated due to the lack of a chase they have to give to just suck up pellets...the HSB, on the other hand, are like freight trains on the light combo!
Posted By: Augie Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/19/19 11:57 PM
Couple more years and that fish will be as big as the plate.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/20/19 12:55 AM
Nice looking fish! Interesting coloration. Is that red on the
O flap?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/20/19 06:24 PM
It certainly looks to be at least a rust color. I did not take much time while the fish was out of water to actually inspect it closely. It was... caught, weighed, photo'd, and returned to the pond.

Might have some RES or Pumpkin-seed traits, huh? I'll look more for that as I sample the pond this summer.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/21/19 10:16 AM
Green on the jaw is indicative of possible gsf somewhere in previous generations. Or so it is at my place.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/21/19 12:33 PM
The HBG were purchased from Harrison's and would have been the traditional BG x GSF cross, but you never know what your gonna get...I believe I had a FHM turn into a grass carp (from a different fish farm).

There are RES in the pond, but this guy is on of the original stockers.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/10/19 01:25 PM
Quick update to the HSB pond record...This years first and only HSB catch has broken last fall's record by 0.2 pounds...

This one was 14.5" long and weighed 1.63 pounds. It's good to know that winter growth likely existed even though my sampling is as small as it gets...these fish are hard to get on the line. A total of 3 hours of fishing went into landing this one fish (20-30 minutes an evening for a week with several near strikes and/or misses). It was caught on a 4" long broken back floating minnow lure reeled in slow at the surface - just fast enough to give it some action but stay afloat. If the wind is blowing the right direction, it takes the HBG feed across the pond and the FHM's tend to form small schools and push the pellets around...then the HSB start feeding on the minnows. This has been lasting for about 20 minutes an evening. Eventually the pellets fade away and the minnows return to hiding.

I'm pretty sure there are bigger HSB in there by looking at some of the surface hits, but I don't want to over fish them so I have decided to give them a break and try again in a month or two (if I can resist the temptation).

Attached picture HSB.jpg
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/10/19 02:33 PM
So that’s what a HSB looks like! One of these days I’ll actually see one. 😂
Looking good QA. Healthy looking fish.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/10/19 06:18 PM
SetterGuy,
Do you see the surface 'hits' or big swirls at feeding time that could indicate HSB?
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/11/19 09:27 PM
There are some very big swirls when feeding. Not sure if they are from larger YP or SMB or the elusive HSB. My water has pretty poor clarity right now, so all I see is the swirl. I don’t get a good look at any fish.
Going to try hand feeding per TJ’s suggestion once I retire in seven weeks, and actually spend more than a few hours by the pond.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/19/19 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Nice looking fish! Interesting coloration. Is that red on the
O flap?

Here's another one with the rust on the O-flap. I have never noticed the orange-ish fleshy-ness that surrounds or extends from the black portion of the flap...does anybody else see this in their HBG's?

Attached picture HBG 01.jpg
Attached picture HBG Close-up 01.png
Posted By: ewest Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/19/19 05:30 PM
Chunk HBG ! Fish is loaded with HBG traits including the Op flap.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/28/19 01:27 PM
A few things to add.

First off, the new pond HBG record is now 0.6 pounds flat, almost 8" long, and I believe this to be a female...

Secondly, I have noticed several of the fish this year (and a few last year) to have fin damage. Mostly a split down the center of the rear fin and a few with odd anal fins. The picture above shows both.

Next, this 1/2 pound male below has some inflammation around it's eyes: another circus fish. Most likely a bacterial infection...I don't know.

Lastly, most of the fish I catch appear to be females. Maybe only by a small margin, but my males are either too smart for the hook, my male to female ratio is fairly even, the males are busy with spawning, OR I haven't achieved pond meister status when it comes to sexing the fish???

PS: I have found that a small piece of bread smashed onto a hook yields the best catch rate.

Attached picture Record.jpg
Attached picture Male HBG.jpg
Attached picture Male HBG Full.jpg
Posted By: roundy Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/28/19 02:49 PM
Is it just me or does the tail on this one look a bit stubby also?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/28/19 03:57 PM
Good observation Roundy! I thought the same thing, but you know how a parent can overlook their kid's inadequacies...Is the tail stubby or is the body just large?
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/28/19 04:09 PM
So hes not stubby... hes horizontally challenged... is that what you're trying to say, QA?
Posted By: roundy Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/28/19 07:37 PM
What part of Missouri are you from.... laugh

Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/28/19 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
So hes not stubby... hes horizontally challenged... is that what you're trying to say, QA?

Proportionally challenged maybe more like it!

Nowhere near that part! Although I do have a cousin that lives near there.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/28/19 09:30 PM

Hey!

Everyone knows that Springfield is in Illinois. laugh
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 07/08/19 01:00 PM
New HSB Record for the pond...1.95 pounds at 16.25 inches long. I caught him at 3:30 pm on a copper Rapala Super Duper trout lure (1/4 oz). Actually, it may not have hit the lure as I snagged it in the eye socket. I like to think that he was after it and just missed with his mouth. I was actually fishing for the HBG, but there he was. Water temps were in the low 80's and he showed no signs of distress as he was handled and returned to the pond.

Here's the progression of the HSB in my pond...

April (2018) - Initial stocking, HSB = 4 to 6" long.
Aug (2018) - 11" and 3/4 pound.
Sept (2018) - 13" and 1.3 pounds.
Oct (2018) - 13" and 1.4 pounds.
June (2019) - 14.5" and 1.63 pounds.
July (2019) - 16.25" and 1.95 pounds.

I have only caught a couple that did not get weighed, but for the most part they have been few and far between, increasing in size with most every catch.

Attached picture HSB 7-7-19 Record.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre QA Pond Log - Too Many Crawdads - 08/02/19 02:22 PM
I have been enjoying the crawdads in my pond now for the last two years, BUT I think I stocked too many! My pond has struggled with muddy water all year and last night I was Wonder bread fishing on the bottom for any carp that might be in the pond (none caught). The water was 7 foot deep where I was fishing and a caught several crawdads. I used a throw net and caught some more in the same depth. I even caught a crawdad in the shallows (with the bread) with another crawdad pinched onto the first one (it was a two-fer). These guys are about 4 inches long and seem to be everywhere. A recent trapping produced 20 of them overnight. All were returned

Why aren't my, near 2 pound/1.5" gape, HSB controlling/decimating these buggars? Few little craws are even seen, so, the HBG must be cleaning them up. Part of me wants to give it another year and see what happens, but another part of me wants to eat some northern crays. I'm torn between feeding the fish or feeding myself!
Posted By: Bocomo Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/02/19 03:31 PM
New HSB Record for the pond...1.95 pounds at 16.25 inches long. I caught him at 3:30 pm on a copper Rapala Super Duper trout lure (1/4 oz). Actually, it may not have hit the lure as I snagged it in the eye socket. I like to think that he was after it and just missed with his mouth. I was actually fishing for the HBG, but there he was. Water temps were in the low 80's and he showed no signs of distress as he was handled and returned to the pond.

Here's the progression of the HSB in my pond...

April (2018) - Initial stocking, HSB = 4 to 6" long.
Aug (2018) - 11" and 3/4 pound.
Sept (2018) - 13" and 1.3 pounds.
Oct (2018) - 13" and 1.4 pounds.
June (2019) - 14.5" and 1.63 pounds.
July (2019) - 16.25" and 1.95 pounds.

I have only caught a couple that did not get weighed, but for the most part they have been few and far between, increasing in size with most every catch.

Nice fish! I think we have a HSB RW chart around here somewhere if you're curious.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: QA Pond Log - Too Many Crawdads - 08/02/19 04:01 PM
QA I think the HSB don’t run the shallows like LMB do, craws more in the shallows. Just guessing though
Posted By: Bocomo Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/02/19 04:03 PM
For your fish RW might be instructive:

8-18 11.00 0.75 0.66 113.27%
9-18 13.00 1.30 1.12 116.22%
10-18 13.00 1.40 1.12 125.16%
6-19 14.50 1.63 1.58 103.43%
7-19 16.25 1.95 2.25 86.53%

So the last fish seems to be struggling a bit?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/02/19 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Bocomo
Nice fish! I think we have a HSB RW chart around here somewhere if you're curious.

YOU BEAT ME TO IT!

I used the spreadsheet from...

http://texasprolakemanagement.com/blog/relative-weight-calculators

To determine that the list goes like this...

Aug (2018) - 11" and 3/4 pound. - RW = 113%
Sept (2018) - 13" and 1.3 pounds. - RW = 116%
Oct (2018) - 13" and 1.4 pounds. - RW = 125%
June (2019) - 14.5" and 1.63 pounds. - RW = 103%
July (2019) - 16.25" and 1.95 pounds. - RW = 87%

I am betting that the FHM populations have dwindled enough to cause the decrease in RW and that the HBG YOY have been fewer than needed. This is where I thought the crawdads would come into play. At any rate, the goal is larger HBG, so I half expected the HSB sizes to be jeopardized in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
QA I think the HSB don’t run the shallows like LMB do, craws more in the shallows. Just guessing though

You are right, at least at my pond. The HSB only seem to feed in the deeper waters (3 feet or more). This is where I see them hitting top water anyhow. BUT, the craws are on the bottom out in the deeper water, apparently. Maybe, the HSB need another year to increase in gape?
Posted By: Bocomo Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/02/19 04:19 PM

You are right, at least at my pond. The HSB only seem to feed in the deeper waters (3 feet or more). This is where I see them hitting top water anyhow. BUT, the craws are on the bottom out in the deeper water, apparently. Maybe, the HSB need another year to increase in gape?

HSB might eat crays but I doubt it's a preferred item for them. If they have to spend more energy foraging for them then they'll gain less weight. Can we get a pro to weigh in?
Posted By: Snipe Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/03/19 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Bocomo
For your fish RW might be instructive:

8-18 11.00 0.75 0.66 113.27%
9-18 13.00 1.30 1.12 116.22%
10-18 13.00 1.40 1.12 125.16%
6-19 14.50 1.63 1.58 103.43%
7-19 16.25 1.95 2.25 86.53%

So the last fish seems to be struggling a bit?

June/July time frame is going to be low WR for HSB compared to Late Aug/Sept/Oct.. that wouldn't be uncommon at all.
And I will add to this, there is a reason we measure in mm and weigh in grams at the State level when looking for accurate growth data. Inches and 10ths can easily create a 10-15% error in WR.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/04/19 07:17 PM
Snipe, Thanks for chiming in! I would venture a guess that the warmer water temps keeps the HSB from hunting their prey and hinders their growth? And, I can see your point about more accurate measurements making a noticeable difference in WR results.

This weekend's trapping/culling results:

I set the trap out yesterday to cull medium size HBG and managed to catch about 30 to 40 ranging from 2" to 4.5". I would guess that 1/3 of them had been caught before as their rear fins had been cropped. So much for the HSB getting them quickly. I will be taking about 20 medium sized (3-4") HBG out and installing them in a neighbors CC pond that needs some help with forage. The smaller ones were cropped, if not already, and returned to the pond.

The trap only produced a few crawdads during the day time. It was re-baited and set out over night and produced about 30 to 40 craws, 4 to 5" craws with only 1 HBG,. That's a pretty typical haul for and over night trapping. The craws were returned to the pond even though I suspect them for my muddy water...their time is coming.
Posted By: jludwig Re: QA Pond Log - Too Many Crawdads - 08/05/19 12:19 PM

This would be my guess too. HSB like the open water more so.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: QA Pond Log - Too Many Crawdads - 08/05/19 03:15 PM
It may be time to put in a single LMB. One will go in next year if the mudbug numbers don't go down for sure.
Posted By: RAH Re: QA Pond Log - Too Many Crawdads - 08/05/19 05:09 PM
Maybe a SMB?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Re: QA Pond Log - Too Many Crawdads - 08/05/19 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
Maybe a SMB?
Yeah Maybe! I don't even know where a nearby BOW would be to bucket stock a SMB from. I could even do a CC, but I'd prefer a bass.
Posted By: Augie Re: Re: QA Pond Log - Too Many Crawdads - 08/05/19 05:53 PM
Pomme de Terre River and its feeder creeks are full of SMB.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/27/19 09:17 PM
I think I caught the old HBG pond record last weekend, but it's lost weight...I'll let you decide. the first photos is from last weekend and it weighed 0.52 pounds. The second photo is the one from above (6/28/19 two months ago) and it weighed 0.6 pounds then. I think you will agree that they are the same fish...small black spot on belly , same black spot pattern on pectoral fin, a few of the same yellow grubs on the pectoral fins, and the same spit tail...length was the same give or take. I cut back on feeding a few weeks ago due to surface scum worries.

I also pulled another HSB out (second this year), not quite a new record, but very close. The cool thing is I caught it on a crawdad fly that I got from Basspro that I just knew was being offered because it looked cool and that it probably wouldn't catch fish...I was wrong and happy for it...

16" - 1.85 pounds

Attached picture HBG 8-25-19.jpg
Attached picture HSB 8-25-19.jpg
Attached picture Craw FLY.jpg
Posted By: DrLuke Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/27/19 09:32 PM
Really nice HBG and HSB QA! I see the HBG has a big split in his tail too (that's not typical, right?). Somewhere on the forum (almost as bad as saying 'it depends') I read that LMB can by uniquely identified by their spot pattern. Maybe HSB too? Since you now have a photo of the left side of this HSB, maybe you'll catch it again for a comparison shot. Hope so! The pattern looks like the digital display on some stereos, where you can adjust the tone and bass and mid levels, etc. He didn't have any music coming out of him I hope?!?
Sorry, guess I'm channeling my inner JHAP today.. ( I loved reading his posts)
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/27/19 09:45 PM
Thanks for the compliment on the fish...I'm certainly proud.

I've seen a handful of HBG come out of my pond with split tails. So, it's normal in my hole even though it's not regular. I would venture to say that 2% have a split rear tail. It seems to be passed on as some of the culled juveniles show the trait also.

I'd say the the HSB has a fairly level tone with a bump in the low mid-range and a slight dip in the low treble. That's too funny!

Now, I have to go back and compare photos, thanks for the time killer!
Posted By: FLX Muck Man Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/28/19 10:35 AM
Very nice Noel, you’re an inspiration.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/28/19 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: FLX Muck Man
Very nice Noel, you’re an inspiration.

Thanks FLX...I am just a product of PB and the members before me and current.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/22/19 03:00 PM
New pond HSB record, but not by much...16.25" long at 2.001 pounds...caught on a night crawler, but it actually snagged itself on the side of the head...

Attached picture HSB 9-21-19.jpg
Posted By: RStringer Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/22/19 03:32 PM
I'm as color blind as dog but that's a good looking fish. I wanta get some of those for my pond. I hear they put up a good fight.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/25/19 12:59 PM
A new HSB pond record was made last night while targeting the HBG. I was using enough night crawler to cover the hook, no weight, no bobber, just casting and letting it sink. I actually caught 4 HSB (all over 2#) and 7 HBG in an hour...best fishing at the pond since it was renovated...That's what it's all about!

I should also say that last night's feeding was part of the Optimal feed trial and was the first night for trying a different feed. The feeding was the poorest I have seen in weeks...very little activity and plenty of food left floating after the hour was up. About a 1/4 pound of feed was thrown over the course of the first 45 minutes...then I was too busy reeling in fish and there was too much food left uneaten.

18" long and 2.6 pounds...I'm going to need a bigger tare pan soon!

Note: all these fish were caught in the mouth...all legit fishing technique...I have up'd my game.

Attached picture HSB Record 9-24-19.jpg
Posted By: Augie Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/25/19 01:30 PM
Pretty fish. Those are getting to the size where the fillets will start getting nice and thick.
Posted By: mikepjr Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/25/19 09:36 PM
Thats a great lookin fish right there...
Glad you gave the worms a shot and it worked for you. I hate fishing with them, but sometimes a person has to go back to the basics.
In your other post you said they were caught in bg territory, I have no doubt they are roaming where bg do. I have been watching mine blow up on minnows a couple feet off the banks all summer. I have read countless times that hsb are open water fish, and believe this to be true, but like any animal on this planet they are going to go where the food is. I talked to a Mo conservation fishery guy about my stocking plans and he told me not to put in bg that the hsb would not go to the bg hangouts to feed on them. My first thought was what are they gonna eat then, second thought was hungry fish gonna go where the foods at. The hsb I have caught this year have been right where my bg are at. I have also caught them in rivers right where you would catch bg, and right off the banks.
Again beautiful fish. Iam sure you enjoyed the fight. I would start eatin some, looks the right size to me. I quess you know that as they get bigger so must your fishing line lol
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/26/19 11:33 AM
I agree. That’s a nice looking HSB right there. Although I’ve never personally seen one myself. Ha!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/26/19 04:22 PM
Thanks folks...I appreciate your appreciation of the fish!

Originally Posted By: mikepjr
...In your other post you said they were caught in bg territory, ...

I really thought they stayed mostly segregated from each other as the HSB would feed on one side of the dock (along with some HBG), but the opposite, more structure crowded, side showed little to no HSB hits during feeding time. I have fished both sides of the dock over the past few weeks and never got even a hard hit on the HBG side...until that one night.

The feeding habits of the HSB seem to change every few months. I think that the FHM's are all but gone from the pond and that this year's HBG YOY are also in small numbers now ...causing the recent HSB re-interest in pellets. They were interested in pellets early in the first summer (2018), but soon disappeared and must have been feeding mainly on the FHM. Now, their back on the feed.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/28/19 07:22 PM
It's time to start managing the fish populations in my pond to help with DO levels and overall fish growth. I have put together a fish cage so that I don't have to clean only a few fish a night. This way I can allow the fish to purge their pellets (I have read here at PB that pellets in the belly add an extra unpleasantness to cleaning fish) and hold them in case I find an interested party who needs some for their pond.

I plan to take out about 75 pounds of HBG and only so many can fit in the freezer, but many can fit in the cage...

The cage was made of junk I had laying around and left over mesh from my fish trap (I bought the big roll).

And here is a very handy tool to have at the dock. It's made from a five gallon bucket handle. It works very well holding a fish that has a deep hook. The smaller fish are just slid over one of the prongs while larger fish can be hung from both prongs...slide fish onto prong by inserting the prong up through a gill and out the mouth. It makes the use of one of those plastic hook removal tools much easier (thanks for the hook remover tip Bocomo!).

One of these days (or years) I will have to upgrade the fish hanger to 1/4" rod instead of the bucket handle...the HSB are getting bigger by the minute. lol

Attached picture Cage out of pond.jpg
Attached picture Cage in pond.jpg
Attached picture Fish Holder.jpg
Posted By: RStringer Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/28/19 07:56 PM
I love the idea of making it without corners. I might have to steal that from ya. I would have made it with corners and had all kinds of scratches.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/30/19 01:27 PM
RS - I think I stole the "no corners" idea from someone here on PB...you're welcome to steal it again!

Latest Pond HBG record by a small margin - 0.63 pounds @ 8.5" long...

I ended up catching one of the old record fish (this would make the third time I've caught it this year) and it swallowed the hook and did not make it. So, I cleaned it for the freezer. I was disheartened by the results. The meat was peppered with black spot parasites. I know they are in the pond and that they do not pose any risk upon consumption, but did not expect them to be so abundant in the flesh. It's still in the freezer, but I'm not too exited about it!

Attached picture Record HBG 9-29-19.jpg
Posted By: Augie Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/30/19 02:42 PM
the HSB are getting bigger by the minute. lol

Keep throwing the feed at your hybrids. They will look like this one before you know it.

Posted By: mikepjr Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/30/19 03:54 PM
or this. I know they wont get that big in ponds, but imagine this pig roaming around in your puddle. I'm sure everyone has seen it before, but still wow what a toad.

Missouri state record 21lb 11oz

Attached picture Cesar.jpg
Posted By: jpsdad Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/01/19 09:23 PM
Quote:
The meat was peppered with black spot parasites. I know they are in the pond and that they do not pose any risk upon consumption, but did not expect them to be so abundant in the flesh. It's still in the freezer, but I'm not too exited about it!

GSF seem to be especially prone to this particular parasite. I can tell you that if you don't think too deeply about them you'll soon forget they are there. I've always trusted the advice that they can't harm you if they are cooked and haven't been deterred. Now the white grubs ... I can't help but to surgically remove them.
Posted By: 5444 Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/03/19 03:09 AM
QA: As always, your posts never disappoint. I love reading about your pond success and seeing your pics. Congrats on the nice HSB.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/03/19 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Augie
Keep throwing the feed at your hybrids. They will look like this one before you know it.

Do you mean they will look like you or the fish? Either way I couldn't complain. lol

Originally Posted By: mikepjr
or this. I know they wont get that big in ponds, but imagine this pig roaming around in your puddle. I'm sure everyone has seen it before, but still wow what a toad.

Missouri state record 21lb 11oz

For crying out loud! I guess I could dream of growing that size of fish in my puddle...you never know...19.1 pounds to go!

Originally Posted By: jpsdad
...I can tell you that if you don't think too deeply about them you'll soon forget they are there. I've always trusted the advice that they can't harm you if they are cooked and haven't been deterred. Now the white grubs ... I can't help but to surgically remove them.

I doesn't take much of an excuse for me to not clean fish. I'm much more of a catch and release type of guy and if my wife were to find out about them...she wouldn't cook them for me anyhow. I plan to find good homes for them.

Originally Posted By: 5444
QA: As always, your posts never disappoint. I love reading about your pond success and seeing your pics. Congrats on the nice HSB.

I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings and I appreciate you saying so! Stay tuned...I'm here all week.
Posted By: Augie Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/03/19 01:25 PM
If you catch a fish that looks like me you better start looking for the barrel of nuclear waste that fell out of the sky and landed in your pond. sick
Posted By: Snipe Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/04/19 01:32 AM
grin at Augie..
Posted By: Quarter Acre This year's HSB Harvest... - 10/11/19 04:06 PM
I harvested 7 HSB this fall with the following results...

16" - 2# - RW 93.2%
16.5" - 2.3# - RW 97.3%
16.5" - 2.1# - RW 88.8%
16" - 2.1# - RW 97.8%
15.5" - 2# - RW 102.94%
15.75" - 2# - RW 97.9%
16.25" - 2.2# - RW 97.6%

Not too bad considering my mad methods of management have focused on trying to grow the HBG using the HSB as population control. I think I can assume that the HSB are lacking a bit of food, but maybe just enough to keep them doing their job chasing the HBG YOY down. The HSB really started feeding on the pellets a month ago where as they were mostly absent at feeding time prior this year. I bet they mostly ran out of HBG YOY a month ago that was keeping them satisfied.

I hope to add 10 - 10" HSB to the pond this month and harvest a few more next spring given that the fish truck and I can hook up and the HSB bite next spring like they did a couple weeks ago. That was a lot of fun! Thanks to all that gave me their HSB catching tricks.

Attached picture Harvest.jpg
Posted By: RStringer Re: This year's HSB Harvest... - 10/11/19 04:47 PM
Those look like someone is gunna have a delicious fish fry. I want to get some of those hsb next year.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/12/19 12:09 AM
RS - I think I stole the "no corners" idea from someone here on PB...you're welcome to steal it again!

Latest Pond HBG record by a small margin - 0.63 pounds @ 8.5" long...

I ended up catching one of the old record fish (this would make the third time I've caught it this year) and it swallowed the hook and did not make it. So, I cleaned it for the freezer. I was disheartened by the results. The meat was peppered with black spot parasites. I know they are in the pond and that they do not pose any risk upon consumption, but did not expect them to be so abundant in the flesh. It's still in the freezer, but I'm not too exited about it!

QA,

Are your HBG GSFxRES or maybe BGxRES? Can't help but notice the red on the flap in the pic.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/12/19 11:07 AM
The fishery where they came from says that they are GSF females mated with Male BG. Although, your not the first one to point out the red on the o-flap. RES Mixed in might explain why my fish are so.... weird?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/14/19 05:11 PM
I deep fried just over a pound of HSB fillet pieces last weekend. Bottom line...Very Good!

I wish I had taken pictures of the raw meat and the fried end product, but I was in too much of a hurry to get the cleaning process over with and the fish went from the fryer pretty much to the mouth. So, your imagination will have to do...

I had read that the red meat should be removed from the fillets and imagined it to be a fairly simple task, but the red meat in my fish was rather marbled in the outer meat (not just a simple strip that could be cut off easily). So, I left it in the fillets as apposed to butchering up the fillets and wasting a third of it. Not to say that a third of the meat was red, but removing it would have also removed plenty of white meat too as I'm no master with a filet knife.

I do simple cooking...

1.) Fillets were chunked into thumb-sized pieces, bagged and put in the freezer...

2.) Thawed, drained, dipped in egg, white floured once, and fried.

So, no extra steps in marinading or any seasonings...just plain fried fish! I did have ketchup on hand just in case, but it was not necessary.

I did not get ANY "fishy", "muddy", or "pond" flavors like I have with some catfish or frog legs. I was very pleased and my vegan daughter even tried some (I think knowing that the fish were humanely raised helped her cheat a bit).

I'm also very glad they did not taste the way fish food smells! lol I can't brag enough on the results. Some people will only eat crappie and say bass even taste fishy. I don't understand any of that, but if your one of those with more perceptive taste buds with regards to fresh water fish...try some HSB...it certainly won't kill you.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/16/19 01:08 AM
QA, this post made me so hungry! Congrats on the harvest and great tasting fish.
Posted By: jludwig Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/16/19 12:05 PM
I had read that the red meat should be removed from the fillets and imagined it to be a fairly simple task, but the red meat in my fish was rather marbled in the outer meat (not just a simple strip that could be cut off easily). So, I left it in the fillets as apposed to butchering up the fillets and wasting a third of it.

Make a "V" cut at the end of the red meat in HSB and "unzip" like a zipper. We had a guide at Lake Texoma show this to us. This video shows how to do it.

To us, it greatly improves the taste and quality of the meat. Takes no time.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/16/19 12:51 PM
Excellent video Jlud! That's pretty much what I was expecting to see, BUT...

My fish did not have that easy strip of red meat, but rather a lighter marbled pattern to the outer layer of white meat. It would have been very time consuming to surgically remove 5 to 10 patches of meat from each fillet.
Posted By: roundy Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/16/19 03:42 PM
QA - I haven't filleted HSB but I think the video showed him not pressing the knife hard against the skin. This would leave the marbled section and a thin layer of white meat with the skin. Then the red strip could be zipped out. I easily could be wrong but that was my take from video.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/16/19 05:14 PM
Good video. I use that exact technique on walleye to remove (zipper) the red meat and pin bones. I do not press the knife down hard on walleye either when I seperate the fillet from the skin or the "zipper" method does not work very well. Even leaving a little of the white membrane can make it hard to zip.
Posted By: jludwig Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/16/19 06:03 PM
We do it after we have separated the filet from the skin.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/17/19 12:19 AM
I wasn't aware of the zipper technique but like roundy and Bill D. I don't press hard to the skin so that most of the red stays with the skin. I use the same method for catfish where instead of skinning I remove the filet with skin from the fish and then remove the filet following the same technique. I filet with a razor sharp rapala knife that my bride knows better than to mess with. smile

Whether that red strip needs to be removed depends on one's tastes and tolerances. I had a colleague of Asian descent who remarked about being hungry for fish. I gave him some fileted crappie but when I later asked him how they were he said they were bland and didn't even taste like fish. So I asked him what kind of fish he liked and he replied carp. Anyways the next spring when carp were piled up below a low water bridge I caught a few with my fly rod and dropped them off as whole fish on my way home. I never heard the end of how good they were and he did indeed appreciate the fish and my effort to catch them for him.

I know people who don't remove the red band on HSB and I think their tastes might prefer it that way.
Posted By: Augie Re: A Pond Log by QA - 10/24/19 02:38 PM
QA - I haven't filleted HSB but I think the video showed him not pressing the knife hard against the skin.

That's the key to butchering a HSB. Don't shave tight to the skin - leave a bit of meat - 3/16"-ish.

Then it's easy to remove the dark strip that runs down the side along the pin bones.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/29/20 07:19 PM
First log entry of the year...The HSB fillets from last October were well recieved by my guests even with the red meat intact...However, I just fried the last of it up a few weeks ago and it was a bit fishy tasting. I guess it does not age well in the freezer with regards to the red meat flavor. I can assure you that fillet chunks were mixed and randomly bagged so it was not a case of "one bad fish". Lesson learned...eat it all soon after harvest.

Next, and more recently, I caught the first HBG out of the pond by accident. I was checking the Lily and APW hanging baskets and had caught this guy hanging out in one of the buckets...

[Linked Image]

Nice and fat, but more importantly...no parasites. The HBG have always had the little yellow grubs attached to their fins and such. It's nice to see the complete absence of the buggars. Hopefully this is a sign of times to come.

I have added water lilies to the hanging baskets...Attraction, Colorado, Perrys’ Baby Red, and a Liou. The smallest of the 4 (Perry's and Liou) are struggling to get established and grow. The fact that these two were barely a morsel to begin with, the aoccational crawdad that finds the bucket, and the HBG that are apparently liking the solitude of the buckets...it's a wonder they are still hanging on.

Anyhow, I hope to do a little fishing in the pond this weekend, checking DO levels (get back in the habit), trapping some craws, and I may throw the net out and see how many tadpoles I can catch in one throw. They have been biblical this spring...leftovers form last year, I suspect. I am betting 50 to 100 in one throw! I guess I will throw them back unless someone needs some bullfrog tads...come and get'em. I am on the fence wether they are good or bad because there are sooooo many of them.

Have a good weekend!
Posted By: jpsdad Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/30/20 11:36 AM
Great up update QA. Really good fish in the photo too. Looks > 9" maybe close to 10". did you happen to measure it?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/01/20 12:52 PM
I did not measure it. I was not expecting to see it. It was likely 9" long. I did get out and set the crawdad trap with an overnight catch of 50, one adult male FHM, and a few very small HBG. I added a few more craws from the results of throwing a 7-8' net...I could easlily get 20 tadpoles per throw and could have done much better, but the higher densities of tadpoles where over the underwater rootwad stuctures which is not good for the net...don't ask me how I know...I learn the hard things the hard way!

Boiled and on the menu for tonight...

[Linked Image]

I also did some DO testing and I must be doing something wrong. My aeration runs at night now (about 9pm to 5am). I checked it Saturday morning around 8am and it was around 4ppm at the surface and closer to 3.7ppm at 4 foot deep. I am currently removing crawdads to reduce the murky water with hopes to increase the aeration run times along with reducing turbidity...maybe this will help the DO levels too. The pond has always struggled with murky water, low DO and low feeding activity...I think the three are related. Last fall I thought that I might have too much biomass in the pond, but I could not catch more than a dozen 1/2 pond HBG over the course of a week fishing every day for an hour each...so, I threw them back in thinking that overpopulation was not the problem. I did remove several HSB, but added 10 more 10" HSB shortly after.

I fished for a 1/2 hour saturday at feeding time using earth worms and did not get a bite. The fish were not feeding well at all. My wife was with me which meant the dog was there too...I am sure this added to the lack of fish activity. My wife has one volume and uses it nonstop (practically)...bless her heart. Channing is a great dog, but weighs 90 pounds and substainially adds to the movement of the dock.

Attached picture Craws.jpg
Posted By: anthropic Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/01/20 01:34 PM
Love boiled crawfish!
Posted By: Augie Re: A Pond Log by QA - 06/01/20 02:45 PM
That's a nice mess of crayfish.

I don't make any attempt to be quiet on the dock at feeding time.
When the fish hear someone on the dock, no matter the time of day, they come up to see if they're going to get a snack.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 08/14/20 01:13 PM
Yikes, the summer is getting away and my log entries have been few. I have been frequenting the pond most daily, but doing little besides enjoying a 15 minute break while I tend to the craw trap and observe the feeding. I DO HAVE A RECORD HSB TO REPORT...

20" long and 3.5 pounds...

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Compared to last Septembers record of - 18" long and 2.6 pounds at 83% RW.

Fantastic weight gain of almost a pound, but only 80% relative weight. I know the exact length makes a big difference, but I am afraid that it was a bit longer than 20 inches actually. So I rounded the weight up and the length down to be consistent with the traditional "fish story"...

My original goal was to grow larger HBG and use the HSB as population control. It would seem that the HSB are looking very nice to my eye even though they are lower than 100% RW. That indicates to me that they ARE hungry and likely doing there job, but not starving.

The new record HSB was caught on a pinky sized hook (no weight what-so-ever) and one of those Gulp baits (two-tone reddish brown). It was cast fairly close to the dock and just left to slowly sink and BAM!

I have done very little fishing at the pond this year, but plan to change that as summer fades as the fish seem to take a hook better this time of the year. I did catch a HBG too. It was not a record, but very fat and happy...more to come...

Attached picture HSB 8-13-20.jpg
Attached picture The fish was this BIG.jpg
Posted By: CityDad Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/10/20 03:53 PM
*taps foot impatiently*
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/11/20 09:42 AM
Surprised that you can have crawdads in a pond with fish.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/11/20 08:03 PM
I don't know what to think about that Dave. The pond being pretty muddy may help the craws and it's got a fair amount of rip-rap on the dam shore. I have not harvested a HSB this year (only caught that one above). They are not easy to trick to the hook and I am concentrating more on a 72 Pick-Up hobby this season so fishing has been minimal. I hope to take a HSB soon for table fare and look forward to inspecting its stomach contents for craws. I am afraid that my fish populations are lower than I thought, but I know there are plenty of these HSB in there and IF they feed on craws...they should be A LOT bigger than they are. Maybe the craws are eating my fish...they're doing great. I'm still trapping 20-25 a night, but only able to soak the trap 3 nights a week.

I think I'll fish a bit tonight!
Posted By: RStringer Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/11/20 10:03 PM
72 chevy ? I had a 68 short bed bright yellow. Miss tht POS but was fun 2 drive.
Posted By: MisterA Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/11/20 10:12 PM
So we digress but here goes - is the 72 a Chevy? My first vehicle was a 72 Chevy pickup with a 400 big block and dear decals on the door - bought it that way. Put in a 650 cfm Holley 4 barrel carb and glasspacks - you wouldn't know it by looking at me now but I was stylin and profilin back in the day!!!
Posted By: MisterA Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/11/20 10:14 PM
Oh yeah - and a cassette stereo system that cost me more than I paid for the truck................
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/11/20 10:52 PM
If there's something I don't mind getting off topic on...its cars and trucks (and it's my thread, so there). Here's some teasers...

I hope to have it done this year!
Posted By: MisterA Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/11/20 11:35 PM
OMG - that's freakin awesome, and it's the 400 big block. Exactly what I had but mine never looked that good. Does it have the tool box on the driver's side of the bed? That box was awesome for storing things that should not be left visible in the cab! Can you imagine now vehicles coming with the gas tank behind the seat in the cab. Man, I miss that old truck but the memories remain vivid.

I'll move on but one last little tidbit. Not sure if what you have will work but if you take the wire that holds the brake fluid reservoir cap on, it will slide under the rubber on the side vent window and flip the lock while you pull on it - presto you can get into the truck if you lock yourself out. Hoods could be opened from the outside back then and that trick actually worked on fords and chevys. I often wondered if they were designed that way - surely not. In later years the lock on the vent window had a button that had to be pushed but the wire bracket would push the button while you twisted and open that baby right up. It was a great trick to know but could get a person in trouble.............
Posted By: Bobbss Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/12/20 12:45 AM
Looking really good. Are you doing all the work yourself? Did you mod the engine? I had a 69 GMC with a 327 and 3 on the tree. I didn't keep it very long, I got tired of pushing it home. lol! It ate plugs and points but with a new set it would get rubber in all 3 gears for maybe a week, then it would start going down hill until you put another set in.lol!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/12/20 11:45 AM
Thanks for the compliments!

This was originally a 72 C10 Custom Deluxe...It's a far cry from that now. It does not have the bedside tool box, but those parts are in high demand if you have some stashed away. They are worth a pretty penny. Those tool boxes where not very common to begin with and they lived down there with all the road muck and rotted away mostly. I don't think they are being reproduced.

The engine is an early 70's Pontiac 400. I'm a big fan of the way the old Pontiac motors loped and shaked the chassis. They tend to have that BIG motor rock to them without having to make it a racecar motor out of it. It might have 350 HP, but it shakes the bedsides up and down about an 1/8". Pretty much a stock 1970 motor with a healthy cam that will run on 87 octane. It has an old 3 speed automatic TH400 transmission.

I'll keep the brake bail trick in mind, hopefully I won't need it...lol.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/13/20 02:12 AM
Noel, sounds like it should be a fun and solid truck. Back in the day they put pretty good cams in them from the factory. The TH400 is a good strong transmission. They can be built to take a lot of power and abuse if need be. That is what I used in my drag car I had.
How long you think it will be before your finished? Be sure and post some pictures when your done.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/14/20 04:12 PM
I was hoping to have a photo of a big fish for the thread today, but it broke the line (8lb test). I fished the pond Saturday evening for about an hour before almost giving up. The hook still had the first 1 inch piece of night crawler on it. It was a slow hour of watching them feed sporadically while the bobber was never in the right spot. I got a phone call and decided to stay on the dock for a bit longer and rather than waste the now-1-inch-shorter worm...I put the remaining 7 inches on and cast it out in the middle. 20 minutes later the phone call ended and the bobber disappeared while I was picking up the pole to reel it in and call it "another good time at the pond". The fight lasted about 3 seconds, maybe...the drag went the whole time (I keep the drag set pretty loose) and then the bobber resurfaced as my bare line was reeled in. I left the pond after contemplating a swim to retrieve the bobber, but decided to let it float. Oddly enough, the bobber was waiting form me at the dock the next day, teasing me.

I did spend a fair amount of time on the truck and will post a couple pics instead for those that are interested.

Bob asked it I did the work myself and I have done everything except the motor machine work, transmission rebuild, driveshaft builds, and the front and rear glass install. This truck was pretty close to the grave when I started on it...it was a rust bucket and a mixed match set of parts. It's still a mixed bag of parts ranging from 1968 to 76.

Here's some more recent photos...

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: Bobbss Re: A Pond Log by QA - 09/14/20 11:54 PM
Your doing a great job.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/13/21 04:06 PM
Well, The truck is road worthy and legal! I guess it's time to get back to the pond a bit more and add more pond log entries.

Attached picture 20210409_152247.jpg
Posted By: FishinRod Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/13/21 06:03 PM
Dang it Noel, that truck is so pretty you can't use it for any work around your place!
Posted By: Bobbss Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/13/21 09:12 PM
It turned out great!
Posted By: esshup Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/14/21 12:17 AM
Looking great!!!
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/14/21 11:46 AM
I'm glad you all like the truck, I know I am getting a big kick out it.

Originally Posted by FishinRod
Dang it Noel, that truck is so pretty you can't use it for any work around your place!

It's not a work truck, obviously, but I did take the trash out with it this morning. It's a strange feeling to put anything in the bed after so many hours of making it shine. I hope to drive it to work several times a week and hit a cruise-in soon. I do have an 85 Chevy 4x4 that handles all the heavy lifting. It's pretty original with a pretty tired motor. This grey truck will allow the work truck to sit back and save it's miles for the work and snowy weather.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 04/14/21 11:47 AM
Now, back to the pond with a little info for my log...

Tues 4/6, I stocked...

15 CC ranging from 1 to 1.3 pounds (~14- 18"),
50 RES (3-4"), and
150 straight BG (4-6")

I have seen a few of the pan fish close to the surface since they were stocked and one floater that I think was an original HBG. Some of the fish (mostly Res, but a few of the BG) showed up on the truck with obvious signs of oxygen deprivation, but quickly settled down when transferred to my transit barrels with fresh pond water. I suspect that the O2 system on the truck was inadequate in that particular tank after talking to the driver. This added some stress to the fish. The CC were not affected best I could tell. Two of the observed fish that seem to frequent the surface of the pond had some whitish slime after a couple days. Once again, due to the stress of the trip to my pond.

I have fished for a total of 3 hours (two different days) and only had one bite/catch which turned out to be one of the new CC. It looked to be in good health.

The wind was blowing away from the dock and carried feed to the opposite side of the pond where a nice amount of feeding was taking place, nothing real exciting...sporadic, but consistent over the course of an hour or so. I saw no large splashes that would have been the HSB, maybe a smaller one with a lackadaisical attitude, but likely a larger HBG.

I wonder if my fish are just leery of the dock noise or maybe that all 3 of the diffusers are near the dock as there was only smaller fish mildly feeding near the dock. Good new is...they are starting to feed.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: A Pond Log by QA - 05/04/21 01:41 PM
Just a log entry on what I've done this spring for the record....

I am starting to see some decent feeding activity, nothing to be considered a "frenzy", but a good representation of the classes and types of fish. I am hand feeding close to the 5 to 6 o'clock hour most every day. I feed a smaller pellet near the bank for the smaller panfish and cast out Optimal BG out off the dock in deeper water for the CC and larger HBG and BG. The story is still the same as usual...the fish feed sporadically as the feed spreads out across the pond. I have better results if the wind is blowing the feed across the pond rather than back to the bank. This seems to be giving the pond's inhabitants plenty of time to feed without getting bunched up and it shows me that the smaller fish feed near the dock and dam bank while the medium sized fish feed out in the middle and the larger fish tend to wait until the feed gets to the opposite side of the pond. Given that the feed does not get to the banks too quickly, the fish will feed for 30 minutes up to about an hour. The visibility has been near 12" all this spring and I contribute the lackadaisical feeding to this.

I have not seen the HSB hard (but infrequent) feeding habits that I witnessed over the last few years. In past years, they would rarely feed near the dock, but would feed further from the dock and would seem to hit sinking food more so than the floating. This spring, I have not witnessed any hits that I would think were the originally stocked HSB. They should be about 4-5 pounds now. I do see some hits that must be ones that were stocked 1-1/2 ago as 10 inchers.

A total of 7 hours of fishing has only produced a few catches...2 of the recently stocked CC and 2 of the HBG (both about 9" long and just over 1/2 pound). Lures have no affect, garden worms showed these results, but I have not tried liver, and crawdads can sit under a bobber untouched.

The Colorado Lily that was put in the hanging bucket off the dock did very good last year and I was able to divide it into 3 plants this spring and they are doing well. There is one other lily that is still alive and doing OK, I think it is called a Liou, but it was not able to be divided. The lotus that I transplanted form a local pond did well last year, but has yet to emerge. I believe they emerge later than the lilies, but the roots seem to be in good condition. I have some Water Primrose in a hanging bucket that is trying to come back from being under water all winter, but it is having a hard time staying ahead of the FA that grows so well near the surface.

I sowed about 1-1/2 cups of Yellow Flag Iris at the pond bank last fall, but have yet to see any germination there. I also sowed a similar amount in large shallow tray and they are starting to pop (thanks Neopond for sending me the seeds from you place!)...

For anyone wanting to try there luck at introducing these often considered invasive Iris' at their pond...I cleaned the seeds from the pods about the time that the seeds were about to fall out on their own, rinsed them, let them dry for several weeks, soaked them in room temp water for 2-3 days, placed them in a zip lock baggie with damp sand, and wintered them in the refrigerator for 3 months. Then, put about 3 inches of rich soil (shoveled up from where I had pond muck dumped after the pond was renovated a few years earlier - rather silty and dark, but no compost. Right, wrong, or indifferent...that's what I used) into a large 5" deep tray with no drain holes, spread the seeds out equally on top of the soil, covered with about a 1/2" of sand, sporadically poked at the sand to possibly push some of the seeds a bit deeper (an additional 1/2"). and then watered regularly to keep the sand damp, but not puddle anywhere in the tray. The sand is not necessary, but it works real well as a moisture indicator. If the sand dries out...it needs more water.

That's it for now..I'll be found hanging out on the dock trying to hook the elusive HSB!

Attached picture YFI 1.jpg
Attached picture YFI 2.jpg
Attached picture YFI 3.jpg
© Pond Boss Forum