Pond Boss
Male LMB are smaller than females and typically have shorter lifetimes. Have there been any studies on the limits of relative size for successful pairings?

A bass can eat another bass at least up to half it's length. I was wondering if this might limit a male bass's choice of mates. I have read where the male bass might leave it's nest to court a female where he would lead her back to the nest to mate. Is there a risk for the male to be eaten if she is hungry? Or perhaps does the spawn season temporally inhibit her tendency to eat males which might court her?
Good questions. My understanding is that Northern LMB males are larger, at least relatively, than Fla LMB males. Perhaps this is because N LMB females are more aggressive than Fla females, so a small male would be at greater risk of being attacked & eaten.
Not sure exactly how large a Fl male can get but we did manage to catch a 7lb male out of lake Fork while fishing a full moon in June a few yrs back. But since then, I have learned more about genetics, it was more likely an F1. And with Bob Lusk recent Facebook post where he had American Sportfish interview, they spoke of that size males were used in their spawning program for the F1's they produce. And while watching my Florida's spawn in the pond this year, I saw a Lonestar Legacy or Camelot Belle guard the nest and I have to say it would have taken a 27" or better female to have eaten those males. They were close to being between 2 and 3 lbs and 16" long. Just commenting here guys.
Here you go guys 17 years of male FLMB data. Max male size 7.054 lbs

Attached picture TPD 210 17 yr males.png
Thank you for the interesting replies. Eric, the chart you posted does it refer to two different populations or two different strains? Was the research done to see if selection for male growth might benefit recruitment? Interesting stuff.

Probably a silly question, but posed to all. You are a 12" male LMB, what maximum size female LMB are you comfortable courting?
She could be heavier than me, but not taller.
Hah!
I laughed at that comment Frank. Most all female lmb pick their mates. I have learned Most females including the human species will choose younger males. I wonder if we should call female lmb Cougars?
Here is the Abstract

Attached picture TPWD17yrstudy_zpseaffd8fc.jpg
© Pond Boss Forum