Pond Boss
Posted By: atarget What species example is this ? - 07/31/17 08:00 PM
Caught if right before sunset from the bottom ( a sandbar surrounded by underwater vegetation) of a major NE Ohio reservoir but still before bullhead cats began biting. I used stinky beef chunk , which I normally use as a catfish bait. Bite was immediate and fish was hooked well on a jaw. It's 13 inch long.
I talked to some fellow anglers but none of them was able to identify the fish.
Your expertise will be greatly appreciated .

[img:center]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il82eU-aYZM&feature=youtu.be[/img]
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: What species example is this ? - 07/31/17 08:03 PM
That would be a Bowfin.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: What species example is this ? - 07/31/17 08:19 PM
We call them grinnell. Hard fighter
Posted By: DrLuke Re: What species example is this ? - 07/31/17 08:44 PM
+1 on bowfin aka 'dogfish'.
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: What species example is this ? - 08/02/17 08:13 AM
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/species-guide-index/fish/bowfin

From the ODNR...
Posted By: Flame Re: What species example is this ? - 08/02/17 11:56 AM
They will hit lmb lures and as Pat stated they fight harder than a lmb!!Have caught many while bass fishing local lakes. They will wake you up. Caught a 10 pounder once on a trotline. Largest one I have ever seen!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: What species example is this ? - 08/02/17 02:01 PM
I've never caught one and had no idea that they lived that far North.
Posted By: willywonka Re: What species example is this ? - 08/02/17 03:27 PM
Yep Bowfin also known as a Dog Fish. we have lots in Ontario and they are one of the best fighters you will get in fresh water.
Posted By: CJD Re: What species example is this ? - 08/02/17 03:42 PM
I didn't realize they weren't born at about 5 or 6lbs. I don't think I've ever seen or caught one smaller than that.
Posted By: ewest Re: What species example is this ? - 08/02/17 07:35 PM
See this from efish. An ancient species that can gulp air - can live in very bad water.

http://web1.cnre.vt.edu/efish/families/amiidae.html
Posted By: djstauder Re: What species example is this ? - 08/07/17 12:37 PM
That's a "choupique" in SE La. pronounced shoe-pick
Posted By: TGW1 Re: What species example is this ? - 08/08/17 11:56 AM
Years ago while I was on a duck hunting trip in S.La. we had I high water event when I noticed the guides running around and chasing the fish, gathering up some fish in real shallow water and calling out loud "shoe-pic, shoe-pic" it was funny and interesting at the time and had never seen such a thing before and did not know what shoe-pic was till I saw the fish. We call them Grinnell up here in N. La. The guides were very pleased to gather up about a dozen of the fish, all of the fish were in the 3 to 5 lb range. When I asked what the deal was, our guide named off some type of Cajun named food they hoped to cook up with their catch. I don't remember the name of the food they planed on cooking up. I will say those true Cajuns can make up some sauces that will tingle any taste buds and can be used to enhance the flavor of many a fish or animal and reptile smile
Posted By: djstauder Re: What species example is this ? - 08/08/17 12:17 PM
TGW1, I've only tried it fried and it was awful... Others tell me you have to cook it properly and it is a good fish... I will likely never know!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: What species example is this ? - 08/09/17 11:44 AM
djstauder, I am probably in that same boat but I would be a liar if I was to say I did not like hooking up one while bass fishing. I have landed two that were in the double digit range, man, what a battle that was. Both times I had to replace the baits because of them being destroyed. One was caught on a bass jig with pork frog trailor and the other caught on a rattle trap.
Posted By: djstauder Re: What species example is this ? - 08/09/17 12:32 PM
The only two I caught were while fly fishing for BG. They were probably in the 1 to 2 lb class so not big but alot more pull than 8-9" BG
Posted By: poppy65 Re: What species example is this ? - 08/10/17 01:25 AM
AKA Pond Fish, Pond Johnny, and Cyprus Trout around here. A blast to catch but a big one can destroy your regular fishing tackle. Years ago our local Western Auto store had a contest every Saturday morning where the biggest fish brought in by closing time got a free Zebco rod and reel. I'd go out to a washout on the levy and fish for them and won the contest week after week. Fifteen pounders were not uncommon. Those cheap model Zebcos they gave for prizes didn't last long catching those.
© Pond Boss Forum