Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 06:28 AM
Interesting article on the subject here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130808123719.htm

Consensus seems to be that fish brain & nervous system is too different from ours for it to feel pain the way we do. At least, this idea is unproven.

Note that Germany has outlawed fishing that doesn't involve killing & eating the fish. All in the name of protecting fish! crazy
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 12:31 PM
I had a cat hanging on my lower lip by one claw once; I've never seen a hooked fish act as distressed as I was then.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 02:09 PM
laugh
Posted By: CJD Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 02:21 PM
I think they have a lot less pain receptors as well.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 03:22 PM
I consider myself as being conscious of our enviorment and trying to be reasonable about my behavior regarding it. There are some folks that think plants and yes, even stones have feelings. Have to admit that my stones have feelings and I don't mean the ones surronding the trees. Never heard my grass say ewww, ouch, help or stop that you inconsiderate bully. Do fish fall in love? Do they thank God every evening that they weren't caught and slowly suffocated in a cooler with insufficent DO? Paleeez!
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 03:36 PM
So, no catch and release in germany? What if you catch a three inch minnow?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 04:37 PM
I admit that I did not read the article...

If a scientist could prove that fish feel (or don't feel) pain, I would not understand his explanation.

All I can say is that animals do feel pain. I know this by their reactions to uncomfortable situations that they get in. Pull on your dog's ear good and hard: he/she will return the pain to your hand or at least yelp and cry. Is it the same pain as humans? - close enough! Do I feel sympathy? - some, not enough to keep me from feeding myself, but surely enough to not go around pulling dog's ears...

Genesis 9:3 - Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
Posted By: ewest Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 05:27 PM
Fish react to negative stimulus in several forms. Just like a dog with its ear pulled it moves away (escape). The question is do fish feel pain like humans . Not based on biology of the brain and nervous system. Fish are not comparable to humans in terms of anatomy and physiology.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Do fish feel pain like we do? - 07/19/17 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: John F
So, no catch and release in germany? What if you catch a three inch minnow?

Sushi
© Pond Boss Forum