Pond Boss
Posted By: boomer2 bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 01:33 PM
Okay - just saw this on Foxnews: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/30/texas-man-catches-monster-frog-photo-goes-viral.html

Made me wonder if all the bullfrogs in my pond are helpful or harmful to my pond. I understand that bass do eat frogs but I also know they (frogs) are known to eat small fish and minnows. Is it better to have or not have frogs in a small pond?
Posted By: DrLuke Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 01:44 PM
As with most things pond related, 'it depends'. Amphibians can be a nice indicator of good water quality, as they are some of the first to go if toxins enter a BOW. And they ( and their offspring) can provide forage for your favorite fish, another bonus. Apparently the jury is still out on bullfrog tadpoles as forage; I've seen/read discussion about them as poor forage (toxin in skin reducing palatability) and discussion about good forage source (for bass in particular). Maybe some fish, like people, prefer a little 'zing' in their hors d'oeuvre?
Posted By: Zep Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 01:51 PM
i put 'em in for the sound effects at night.

Bullfrog

Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 01:56 PM
I'd be afraid to be in the pond with frogs that size! Holy Moly!!!
Posted By: Shorty Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 02:07 PM
Bullfrogs will eat anything that moves and they can fit in their mouth. I couple of years ago I found a BF in the pond with a Bluebird in it's mouth. My mom said she saw one tackle a Robin while mowing around their old pond, they are predators that will eat small birds, fish, snakes, other frogs, and crawdads.

I like to keep them around to give GBH something to target other than my fish. I have number of "monsters" that are 6"+ vent to snout and they have been eating well this spring.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 02:19 PM
On the topic of LMB eating BF tadpoles...Once in a conservation pond I was fishing, the LMB were on beds and could not be temped to strike on anything in my box. I started catching live bait from around the pond (grasshoppers, worms, whatever I could catch) and nothing until I tried BF tadpoles hooked through the lips and reeled in slow through the beds and it was on! I have to think that the bass were more interested in eating the tadpole to protect the nest from a familiar annoyance, but they were hitting them when nothing else would work.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
On the topic of LMB eating BF tadpoles...Once in a conservation pond I was fishing, the LMB were on beds and could not be temped to strike on anything in my box. I started catching live bait from around the pond (grasshoppers, worms, whatever I could catch) and nothing until I tried BF tadpoles hooked through the lips and reeled in slow through the beds and it was on! I have to think that the bass were more interested in eating the tadpole to protect the nest from a familiar annoyance, but they were hitting them when nothing else would work.

Interesting. I was watching a male PS on the nest yesterday and he was spending all his time driving tadpoles from the nest. I wonder if tadpoles eat fish eggs?
Posted By: DrLuke Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:15 PM
[img:center][/img]
Posted By: DrLuke Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:17 PM
BF tadpoles..
Posted By: DrLuke Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:18 PM
the tadpole stalker..
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:18 PM
Luke, that face speaks volumes.
Posted By: DrLuke Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Luke, that face speaks volumes.

Yeah, she wasn't really too excited about holding that guy for the photo...
Posted By: RC51 Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:31 PM
I caught one once on my pond with a 5 inch zoom super fluke! I thought I had a nice bass coming after as I saw the wake coming towards my bait!! Ha was I wrong. This bully was 17 inches spread out from head to toe. Yes they will eat and eat well!!

Are they bad for your pond... I don't think so with the exception of losing a few smaller fish....

RC
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: bullfrogs helpful or harmful - 06/02/17 03:50 PM
If the bullfrogs get big enough and numerous enough in my pond...I like frog legs. I would believe that we should consider them a species to monitor and cull when necessary. Wouldn't BFs be like a BG (or HBG) or the like? They are both predators of small fish, but also supply food to the larger predators like bass. I look forward to large BFs in my pond and if they get very numerous without eatable size, I will consider reducing their numbers.

I have fished with live frogs, mostly spring peepers not BFs, with some success so I know fish will eat them. And the frog noise from the pond just puts me further out in the country, I like that!
© Pond Boss Forum