Pond Boss
Posted By: RAH Deer wallow - 05/28/17 03:00 PM
Anyone else experience whitetail deer getting in a body of water each night and making the water very muddy? I had this happen years ago in a small pond in the backyard and used a motion activated sprinkler to train then off. I also had this happen in a small wetland several years back, and now they picked out my settling pond as a midnight wallow. Fortunately, the honey locust branches are protecting the water lilies so far. I also once watched one of the deer in another wetland eating submerged plants like a moose. Have any of you had similar experiences?
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/28/17 03:40 PM
Yep. I build water holes specifically for deer. I even put minerals out by them to make things more attractive. They love a muddy waterhole.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer wallow - 05/28/17 07:12 PM
You guys have a shortage of hogs. Just wait. They're coming.
Posted By: keifer Re: Deer wallow - 05/28/17 09:23 PM
What's with those white tail deer. I see them in my little pond, cooling their heels in the water while eating grass from the banks. Saves a lot of weed wacking that's for sure.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Deer wallow - 05/28/17 10:15 PM
I've seen deer swim across a small lake, about 50 yards. Never seen them eating aquatic vegetation, though.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 01:37 AM
One fall we once saw a nice buck swimming across our local COE lake. At that point, it was over a half mile wide. We slowly pulled up alongside him in a boat, but didn't get too close. He continued on to the shore he was originally headed for. They live on some of the islands there, and regularly swim back and forth.
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 02:13 AM
I'll have to post a video that my wife took of deer in our pond when I get some time.
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 02:36 AM
https://youtu.be/MCgkIKUzRPo
Posted By: RAH Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 10:51 AM
Thank you for posting the video!
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: RAH
Thank you for posting the video!

No problem! It's a cool video. She got to see something that you don't see every day.
Posted By: RAH Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 01:28 PM
Was that video taken on you place?
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 01:44 PM

Yes. The wife filmed that the first winter after moving in.
Posted By: RAH Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 01:47 PM
Great place! If you need some help cutting down on those pesky big bucks, I might be persuaded to help you out:)
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/29/17 01:56 PM
Lol, thanks for the offer but I think I have it covered. smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Deer wallow - 05/30/17 12:10 AM
Never seen anything like that. You must have a lot of deer.
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/30/17 04:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Never seen anything like that. You must have a lot of deer.

Not a LOT of deer, but she was in heat a month after our normal rut. She was basically the last girl in the club at closing time.
Posted By: tim k Re: Deer wallow - 05/30/17 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: catscratch

I have deer hunted for over 50 years and seen many many videos - that is one of the coolest I have ever seen - I posted it on several of my hunting forums and folks were amazed - that video is priceless
Posted By: woodster Re: Deer wallow - 05/31/17 01:52 AM
Wow nice! I have never seen a chase go into the water before. I would add that I do see deer wade into my ponds and eat plants.
Posted By: catscratch Re: Deer wallow - 05/31/17 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: tim k
Originally Posted By: catscratch

I have deer hunted for over 50 years and seen many many videos - that is one of the coolest I have ever seen - I posted it on several of my hunting forums and folks were amazed - that video is priceless

Cool and thanks guys! I've hunted a long time too and have seen a lot of chases, but not one like this one. She had no idea how cool it was either.

May I ask what sites you link it to? I would like to see some of the comments...
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Deer wallow - 06/01/17 03:24 AM
I bump into a few deer each day at my pond...they are usually drinking from the feeder creek and browsing on vegetation. I haven't seen them in the pond, and they don't cross it when frozen. I had a dead one in the marsh above my pond last winter however. I welcome them and hope they stick around. 440 acres of old growth mixed and oak forest land neighboring my subdivision were just sold for hunting purposes - we'll likely have many, many more hunters around this fall.
© Pond Boss Forum