Pond Boss
Posted By: Kelly Duffie See-Through Fish Tower - 01/22/17 10:30 PM
I wasn't sure where to place this item of interest, but it sure looks intriguing....

Inverted Aquarium Fish-Tower
Posted By: highflyer Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/22/17 11:24 PM
Kelly,

The cool part for me would be to see what gases fill the aquarium over time.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 04:25 AM
Cool Kelly. On a somewhat related topic, any clue if a fish viewing cube is produced for use off a dock, for instance? Looking for some way to get down 6 - 8' and view ecosystem under my dock while remaining dry. Inverted aquarium meant for humans, I guess.
Posted By: highflyer Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 04:57 AM
Sounds like a project!!!

It would have to be accessed through a trap door on the dock to up the coolness factor to the max.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 12:06 PM
[quote=teehjaeh57]Cool Kelly. On a somewhat related topic, any clue if a fish viewing cube is produced for use off a dock, for instance%
Posted By: Zep Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
On a somewhat related topic, any clue if a fish viewing cube is produced for use off a dock, for instance%

Kind of small, but looks like they can be purchased:

http://odditymall.com/floating-fish-observatory

Posted By: Sunil Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Cool Kelly. On a somewhat related topic, any clue if a fish viewing cube is produced for use off a dock, for instance? Looking for some way to get down 6 - 8' and view ecosystem under my dock while remaining dry. Inverted aquarium meant for humans, I guess.

We had a very lengthy discussion about this same idea many, many years ago.
Posted By: Kartracer00 Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 03:15 PM
I had dreamed of making an underwater room beneath a dock with a window to look out in the pond. Budget didn't allow for it as windows designed for underwater use (they do exist) are not cheap. Not to mention the task of ensuring that the room is waterproof enough to not just fill up with water and become unusable. Maybe someday...
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 03:30 PM
Glass or plexiglass under water will quickly, as in 2-3 weeks, start to develop an attached periphyton film that can get 1/4" to 1" thick. Depending on the water quality of the pond and the algae flora present both will have a big effect on what grows on the underwater glass surface. As an example of what type of periphyton your pond will 'produce' look closely at some of the underwater surfaces in your pond. You an also put a clear glass jar or similar thing under water and monitor its appearance over the spring, summer, fall, winter. This will give you a good idea of how often you would need to clean your observation 'bubble'. Keep in mind that your line of sight underwater in your specific pond will be the same or less than the secchi disk reading.
Posted By: Zep Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 03:37 PM
Always thought this was pretty cool....

Posted By: Zep Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 03:45 PM
or if you want to live in Dubai....

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/dubai-floating-seahorse-underwater-rooms/
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/23/17 11:23 PM
I was thinking it could be set up to remove and store on dock once you're done viewing...this would ensure it isn't covered with algae or periphyton quickly? Just crank it up or down and in or out you go. Wonder how one would actually get into and out of the tube, though?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/24/17 12:43 PM
That would drive the coons and cormorants nuts.
Posted By: Tbar Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/24/17 02:14 PM
Great care would be required in cleaning it and being in it. Decades ago I used to help maintain very large plexiglass aquariums that that we hookah dove in to service. Sometimes it was frustrating trying to clean stubborn algae and film off.......We couldn't get too aggressive.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/24/17 02:29 PM
Great topic. Don't let my wife see it. She'll want one in the swimming pond.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/25/17 05:33 PM
I wonder if contact-stick clear film applied to the water-side surfaces would be cost effective? Need to clean? Peel it off and replace.

I love the inverted aquarium idea in a garden pond though. I'm not sure if a PVC-based frame is sturdy enough, and metal could puncture a liner leaving wood as a reasonable choice. You also have to be careful of loosing water level or waves in wind and breaking the seal.

Some underwater lighting pointing up into the inverted aquarium at night would be pretty cool.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/25/17 07:21 PM
Algae on glass is bad enough in filtered aquariums. IMO, in a pond out in the sun, it would be such a huge problem on glass as to not really be worth it, unless you could commit to cleaning the inside every two or three days, and the outside for water spots due to wind action every week.
Posted By: 2Old2Soon Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/25/17 09:51 PM
Without circulation it seems like the water temp would match the air temp pretty quick. On a south Ga summer day, you could watch them for a while, then watch them cook!
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: See-Through Fish Tower - 01/26/17 10:05 PM
My guess would be that they are just for party's. You would place it out for the party and then take it back out can clean it.

Liquidsquid the one from above just floats and there is no need for the PVC legs.
© Pond Boss Forum