Pond Boss
Posted By: Titan88 Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/12/16 05:34 PM
Just noticed a large what appears to be snapping turtle with a line backer neck in my 2 acre pond and have recently missed 2 ducks with no carcass or feathers found. Any input on the possibilities?
Posted By: stickem' Re: Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/12/16 06:23 PM
A friend of mine that has a 1/8 acre pond in SE Texas just west of us had the same incident happen. The culprit was a snapping turtle. They swam up from underneath and grabbed his ducks by the legs and pulled them down and drowned them first...then ate them. He had one duck that survived, minus 1 leg. You can catch the turtle with a baited hook at the surface. Good luck!
Posted By: JDMahindra Re: Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/12/16 07:18 PM
If you have mature large mouth bass or catfish, they could possibly be eating your small ducks
Posted By: MaxH Re: Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/12/16 11:59 PM
I saw a snapping turtle take two baby geese one night while out catfishing the Ohio River. I have also seen large flathead catfish take them.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/13/16 01:31 AM
Best bait I've found for snappers is just a chunk of cheap shrimp. The snappers spend most the time cruising the bottom, so I always fished there for them. I have about a 10 to 12 inch snapper in my pond now but he has posed no problems so I'll let him stay.....for now...
Posted By: Leswad Re: Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/19/16 07:00 PM
FYI for Texans:

Alligator Snapping Turtle (Macroclemmys temmincki).
May NOT be collected. Listed as threatened by the State of Texas.
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/20/16 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Leswad
FYI for Texans:

Alligator Snapping Turtle (Macroclemmys temmincki).
May NOT be collected. Listed as threatened by the State of Texas.

Man that is one mean looking SOB.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Snapping Turtle eating ducks? - 06/20/16 03:42 PM
Alligator snappers are protected in Indiana also. Common snappers are not, however.
© Pond Boss Forum