Pond Boss
Posted By: scott69 bluegill feeding - 12/06/15 10:54 PM
well here it is the 6th of december and my bg are still feeding. i have the feeder running 4 times a day now. we had a cold snap right before thanksgiving that shut them down, but that only lasted a few days. my bg were originally stocked in February, they sure have had one good growing season. they were fed aquamax up until a few weeks ago, now they are eating the new optimal. last time i fished i caught several in the 8" range. i feel sure that i will have them weighing a pound by this time next year.
Posted By: Joshua Flowers Re: bluegill feeding - 12/06/15 11:28 PM
Thats great news there still feeding. I know there will be a few pond bosses who would like photos on their progress. Keep us updated.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: bluegill feeding - 12/07/15 12:06 AM
Sounds like excellent growth in 10 months! How big were they when you stocked them? I envy you that long growing season.
Posted By: scott69 Re: bluegill feeding - 12/07/15 12:09 AM
Posted By: scott69 Re: bluegill feeding - 12/07/15 12:11 AM
that bg was caught in october making it 7 months old
Posted By: scott69 Re: bluegill feeding - 12/07/15 12:55 AM
they were stocked 2 inches long
Posted By: Joshua Flowers Re: bluegill feeding - 12/07/15 01:44 AM
Thats look good for starting out small on Aquamax.
Posted By: Boburk Re: bluegill feeding - 12/09/15 10:28 PM
I thought it was early for them to stp biting...seemed like once my tilapia died...nothing was feeding here. Last two times out stuff was feeding again. Not a lot, but some hits.

Mine are new though...restocked after my kill.

Sean
Posted By: TGW1 Re: bluegill feeding - 12/10/15 02:14 PM
Scott, Nice one

Tracy
Posted By: ewest Re: bluegill feeding - 12/10/15 08:24 PM
Classic CNBG in excellent condition. Nice job.
Posted By: scott69 Re: bluegill feeding - 12/10/15 11:18 PM
any guesses as to this being a female or male? i have caught several the same size that already have a helmet head and the classic coppernose. to me these bg seem to display their coppernose more than the ones i had in the other pond, even now i can see it when they come to feed. i thought it was more noticeable during the spawn. i sure hope these get that dark purple/ almost black color as my other ones did. i'm thinking this ones is a female.
Posted By: ewest Re: bluegill feeding - 12/11/15 03:36 AM
Male CNBG - see this

Lets start with BG. Here is the preeminent thread to see about Bill , Bruce and Cecil's PB mag article.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=103883&fpart=1

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: bluegill feeding - 12/11/15 05:57 AM
Originally Posted By: scott69

Amazing male BG IMO right there, you're definitely managing the fishery well. Keep posting shots of bullgills, and if they are still actively feeding, keep them growing!
Posted By: scott69 Re: bluegill feeding - 12/13/15 04:05 AM
i am sure you all are right about it being a male, but i have caught some out of this same group with the coppernose and helmet head. this one doesnt have either, and i dont see the scale tipping.
Posted By: ewest Re: bluegill feeding - 12/14/15 07:38 PM
I see the scale tipping - look just above and to the left of the gill flap. My opinion is it is a immature male CNBG. With them some of the elements are missing or subdued.
Cody Note: Also, scale tipping is most prominent during spawning season and least apparent during winter. I agree with ewest, the CNBG above is likely a male in early stages of sexual maturity
© Pond Boss Forum