Pond Boss
Posted By: anthropic Pig (and human) proof fences... - 10/31/15 09:29 PM
I'd like to build a pig and human proof fence around my pond (and future home) area.

Any suggestions?

PS Man oh man do I love the rain!!! grin
Posted By: FINnFUR Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 01:23 AM
7 foot of chain link and two curls of razor wire won't work . They just use bolt cutters to cut the link .
Slows em down about 15 minutes though !
However it could work for pigs - they don't climb or cut.
Couple strands of hi voltage would work for them.
Posted By: JDMahindra Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 01:47 AM
Fence material of your choice then add at least 3 strands of electrically charged wire
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 03:16 AM
A junkyard dog or two is a nice touch in side any fence. :-)

I don't seem to have a problem with my 120 lb. Akita around.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 09:07 AM
The Chinese used a great wall with some success.

Sans that, I would also use a lot of electric fencing. smile
Posted By: RAH Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 10:23 AM
Its not the fence that stops them. It is what is inside the fence...
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 10:53 AM
Frank, look @ Tbar's fencing. His type of fencing will keep the hogs out and then add an E Fence to it. That will keep most humans out. You are required to add a sign that say E Fence is active. The E Fence is not that expensive but the other type is.

Tracy
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 12:03 PM
I don't believe there's any such thing as a human proof fence.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 12:17 PM
Sprk. u r rite, no way to stop em if they want in there, but the e fence will stop a lot of them. a good e fence will nock the H E double L out of em smile

Tracy
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 12:41 PM
Pair of wire cutter pliers with rubber handles. No more E-fence. I agree with Sparkie. No such thing as a human proof fence if somebody is determined to get thru.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 12:51 PM
Frank, I think I remember where u mentioned in an earlier post about trespassers. I would enforce the trespasser laws of Texas !! That will slow down a lot of trespassing. Like the e fence it will not stop them all but will slow some of them down. Bill, I don't think they are all smart enough to use rubber handled cutters. After all they r already breaking the laws of trespassing. And Frank, like you, I am happy about the rain we have been getting. The pond is almost full pool again.

Tracy
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 02:33 PM
Here in Canada were not ones for fences at all. Putting up a fence indicates you have something to protect and something one may want. Its really an invitation to most who would want to trespass.

If you want to keep pigs out an electric fence is the way. Ultra-nate live ground live ground for five wires. Want to keep people out then add a sign that you have wild bore farm inside the fence to keep out for their own safety.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 03:49 PM
I do tend to agree that nice fences/gates allow for a heightened sense of curiosity about what lies beyond. After all, if there were nothing of value to be carried off, why bother painting the gate? Someone on foot, determined to hunt a piece of ground will simply hop a fence, the same as they will ignore a no-trespassing sign. So to me a fence implies a need to keep livestock in, or if I am a criminal element, a futile attempt to keep vehicular traffic out. And if it's desired to keep vehicles out, then there must be a reason. $$$

From another perspective however, I have been pondering the wisdom of utilizing an electric fence where keeping unwanted visitors away is the goal. At first, I simply assumed that cutting the wire would offer little resistance to a determined visitor. But the more I think about it, with the current state of knowledge and intuitive reasoning demonstrated by an ever-growing segment of our society, perhaps it really would be a deterrent. 40 years ago it would be laughable to think electric would turn away a trespasser. At least around here. But now that many have a very limited knowledge of how things work, it might well do the trick.

I just haven't decided if I should feel more safe and secure, or dismayed that common sense is not so common anymore.
Posted By: esshup Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 04:34 PM
I think any type of fence would lay to rest the excuse "I didn't know it was private property".
Posted By: JKB Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I think any type of fence would lay to rest the excuse "I didn't know it was private property".

I agree with that one. That's why I want to clear the property lines and put up a fence. Kinda a no brainer from that point.

Besides, that's what the county Sheriff and prosecutor said to do. Posting signs on trees is a crap shoot at best, but if the fence I put up is damaged, the property owner on the other side of the fence can be held liable for repair or replacement, with not much fuss.

Not having any trouble with neighbors for a while, but Al the pal, who knows nothing about guns, is letting his buddies come up and shoot some black hardware on his shallow property without a proper backstop.

I've had to remind him that bullets are zinging thru my trees, way the hell past your property line. So far for the past 2 week's or so, he's just been running a leaf blower on Sunday's.
Posted By: captwho Re: Pig (and human) proof fences... - 11/01/15 11:42 PM
I have found that an eight foot fixed knot fence has done the trick for me. It keeps the elk out, hunters out, cows and dogs in. It can take a 1500 lb hit and isn't easy to climb. It definitely says stay out! I put up no trespass signs and signs about a bull trampling you in 3.2 sec and people are afraid of bulls. The fixed knot fence looks good too and way cheaper than chain link.
© Pond Boss Forum