Pond Boss
Originally posted on Texas Fishing Forum:

I would like to announce officially that I will no longer be using Camelot Bell in my largemouth bass marketing campaign. I do maintain that the genetics of 100% of my Overton Fisheries stock are from Mike Frazier's ranch, that he personally provided me with these fish knowing that I would breed them and sell fingerlings, but that I am no longer associated with Camelot Bell Ranch in any way. I do not plan to change the genetics of my brood stock in the near future. If anything I will improve the program by starting a new lunker program with the same genetics, and they will have the markings and exhibit the performance to prove it. I do plan to change the name of the fish, so stay tuned..

I make this decision after careful consideration of who I am, what Overton Fisheries is, where we have been, and where we plan to go in the future. I respect Mike Frazier and what he has accomplished with his fishery. Any further public bickering about the use of the Camelot Bell name in association with these largemouth bass genetics only brings us all down a notch, and distracts us from the unique and true nature of the product itself.

I make this decision, because for me, "It's All About The Fish!"

Maybe I will let the some of the forum folks help me with a new name, LOL.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries

Maybe I will let the some of the forum folks help me with a new name, LOL.

The forum is good at that! Thanks for the post!

Southern Belle - I can see two probes with this one, your not in Tennessee and again the Belle part
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 06:19 PM
Big blue Mark Bass
Over-Ton Bass

(just how big can they get? smile )
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 06:49 PM
George's Giants wink

Overton's Buffalo Bucketmouths

Posted By: george1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 07:01 PM
"Buffalo Belle, won't you come out tonight?
Come out tonight, Come out tonight?
Buffalo gals, won't you come out tonight,
And dance by the light of the moon."
grin

Posted By: fishm_n Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 07:07 PM
Texas crown

Texas star

Blue star

Blue crown

Lone star

Todd, what is your favorite attribute of these bass ?
Just sayin'. I laughed when I first saw the statement, but we continue to call ours "our little cannibals".

LOL. Great ideas already!!!
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 08:31 PM
I like Buffalo Belles, but maybe that would stir the pot with Camelot Bell?
Posted By: george1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 08:42 PM
Yeah, I think it might but it does recognize the heritage of these outstanding fish. Mike Frazier did an outstading job over several years in selecting huge brood females that developed Florida LMB traits of fast growth, catchability, and recognizable characteristics, as Todd gives credit.
G/
Posted By: Sunil Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 10:16 PM
Straight ahead, Mabro!!!
Posted By: stickem' Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 10:47 PM
Buffalo Crown Micropterus

Good stuff y'all!... Plenty of very good material so far. We have plenty of time to work on a suitable name. Feel free to contribute.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 11:18 PM
Texas Crown LMB
Lonestar Crown LMB
Posted By: RER Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 11:21 PM
Boarder bass
Posted By: RER Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/20/15 11:25 PM
How about overton bell or overton bass or overton bucket bass
Posted By: Cray Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 02:38 AM
Texas blue bass( instead of black bass)
Posted By: esshup Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 02:48 AM
Overton's Cannibal Bass
Posted By: Walt Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 03:09 AM
Mary Sue voted for

Canna-Belle
Overtons cannibelles
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 04:29 AM
Can-a-Belle Crowns

Preceded by texas overton's or florida??
Getting warmer I think, thanks!
Posted By: george1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 10:45 AM
Thoughts - naming your "LUNKER" bass you gotta use "Overton" name for marketing purposes AND "Belle" for genetic heritage"
The name has to gain serious attention - too bad Lone Star Lunker has already been used.. grin

Todd, I see a huge business advanatage to come up with this independent marketing opportunity.

Who other than Overton Fisheries has the biological credentials than Todd Overton, with fish farm resources including over 30 hatchery/grow-out ponds with unlimited hatchery, forage production and marketing expertise?

George Glazener
Posted By: FINnFUR Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 11:38 AM
Southern O'Belle - Or Texas Or Lone Star Or Buffalo
Posted By: Flame Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 11:57 AM
Overton's Badassbass
Overton Blue Belles
Posted By: RER Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: george1
Thoughts - naming your "LUNKER" bass you gotta use "Overton" name for marketing purposes AND "Belle" for genetic heritage"
The name has to gain serious attention - too bad Lone Star Lunker has already been used.. grin

Todd, I see a huge business advanatage to come up with this independent marketing opportunity.

Who other than Overton Fisheries has the biological credentials than Todd Overton, with fish farm resources including over 30 hatchery/grow-out ponds with unlimited hatchery, forage production and marketing expertise?

George Glazener

I like it

OVERTON LUNKER BELLE

Originally Posted By: Walt
Mary Sue voted for

Canna-Belle

I like that.
Whatever you call them, Walt Overton delivered me some yesterday and I saw a ruckus in my pond this morning and I walked down there to see these 3" bass destroying my FHM population.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/21/15 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: one more cast
Originally Posted By: Walt
Mary Sue voted for

Canna-Belle

I like that.
Whatever you call them, Walt Overton delivered me some yesterday and I saw a ruckus in my pond this morning and I walked down there to see these 3" bass destroying my FHM population.

Attitude apparent...indeed!!!
Todd,

The way you handled this was very classy and professional.

Buffalo Belle or Canabelle works for me!!
Lots to consider when naming them ... do you retain "Camelot" at all, pointing to the lineage which is a known name in the trophy bass community? Or would there be any sort of legal issues by including the name "Camelot"?

Personally from what I've read, watched, and observed first hand this strain of bass should include "pugnacious" in the name. Def = inclined to quarrel or fight readily; quarrelsome; belligerent; combative. Does that not accurately describe these bass?

Overton's Pugnacious Bells

Overton's Pugnacious Largemouth
Or
Sir Eats a lot,
Sir Gains a lot,
Sir slays a lot,

The Bass who eat Neigh.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 02:24 AM
What about playing to the widely recognized potential, while establishing your own brand?

"Overton's is excited to write a new chapter in an already storied lineage....building on exceptional genetics, we proudly present our Excalibur Bass"

Over the top?
I like these ideas a lot. I do not retain the use of Camelot or Bell. I would like the name to be original.

Keep in mind these fish have a golden shine as well. This attribute may also help to inspire names.
Posted By: george1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries
I like these ideas a lot. I do not retain the use of Camelot or Bell. I would like the name to be original.

Keep in mind these fish have a golden shine as well. This attribute may also help to inspire names.

Todd, many PB viewers are not aware of the distictive markings on these fish, and as you know I am color blind as a bat, so much for color ID for me. grin
I do know you like the golden shine obvious on some of your"Golden Bass".

Playing on the distinctive markings that readily ID your fish is important for your future brood bass selection.
I like the 'blue'green' (you told me the color?) spot on their nose. cool
I also like the mottled back.
How 'bout posting photo examples of these markings for others to see and get ideas?
"TEXAS GOLD"

Beautiful fish - fun stuff!
George

Posted By: TGW1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 12:39 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Just sayin'. I laughed when I first saw the statement, but we continue to call ours "our little cannibals".

Todd, I agree with Al here, because the first thought that came to my mind(before I read Al's suggestion) was "Cannibals".
And after seeing your additional responses to the suggested names, I think "Overton's Golden Cannibals" would stick to these Pure Bread Bass. smile

Good call Al.

Tracy
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
What about playing to the widely recognized potential, while establishing your own brand?

"Overton's is excited to write a new chapter in an already storied lineage....building on exceptional genetics, we proudly present our Excalibur Bass"

Over the top?

Excalibur Bass - I like it! Sounds classy.
Originally Posted By: Bushwacker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Over the top?

Excalibur Bass - I like it! Sounds classy.

-X2 what he said
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 02:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Snakebite
-X2 what he said

X3. Great way to link to "Camelot" without stepping on anyone's toes.

I'd be a little hesitant to name/market on any distinctive physical characteristic--what if it doesn't show up in all fish, or alters with water quality/environment/diet.......then you'll have customers thinking they didn't get a full dose of the real thing.
Posted By: snrub Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 05:16 PM
x3. I like Excalibur also.

Wish I had some. Long drive to Texas from Kansas to get them though.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 08:42 PM
X4 on Excalibur but, if you want to totally divest yourselves from the entire Camelot theme, you could go with something simple like

Overton's Golden Legacy LMB

Indicating these superior fish are an Overton's golden gift to the pond/lake community
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 08:44 PM
I like that, Bill...
Posted By: Flame Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/22/15 09:27 PM
Overton's Golden Pride...or Family Pride
Golden Blue Spotted Bass

Texas Golden Bass

Blue Spotted Golden Bass
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/23/15 02:52 AM
Is the coloration absolute and indicative, or can it be variable among individuals? Does it retain in all waters?
Posted By: george1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/23/15 10:48 AM
Spark, with color blindness, I can call 'em like I see them.. laugh
There is a rumor floating around that Todd has a fly rod in his hand fishing a Colorado mountain stream this morning - a well deserved vacation!

I would await his answer even though I look for non-color characteritics due to many color changes due to water proprties.
George
I won't speak for Todd, but I see the coloration and markings very clearly on all of Todd's special stock.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/24/15 11:14 AM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
I won't speak for Todd, but I see the coloration and markings very clearly on all of Todd's special stock.

Okay, then maybe try and roll the Camelot genetics as well as the coloration into the name?

"Overton's is excited to write a new chapter in an already storied lineage....building on exceptional genetics, we proudly present our X-caliber Gold Bullet Bass."
Varsity work Tony!!
Posted By: Zep Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/24/15 04:47 PM
There is a rumor floating around that Todd has a fly rod in his hand fishing a Colorado mountain stream this morning - a well deserved vacation!

George I will be there a month from today!

Can't wait to depart this dreadful Texas heat.

Posted By: TGW1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/25/15 12:58 PM
After adding 300 of the fingerling's to my pond about 7 weeks ago, I hope to call them BIG BASS in about 3 yrs and Really Big Bass in about 10 yrs. smile Call them what you want, but BIG and Catchable is what I hope mine will be smile

Tracy
Greetings from Colorado!! This morning l am struggling to divert my attention from Colorado mountain trout back to Texas bass LOL.

I am very pleased with the naming suggestions. Thank you PB for your thoughts. Here are my thoughts so far:

Maybe it is best to avoid coloration pattern as a basis for naming, because differences in water quality, clarity, and diet can influence appearance. Although we do plan to experiment with breeding the bluegreen spot into a high percentage of offspring, there is a lot to learn. If we breed only fish with the signature spot, what percentage of offspring will exhibit this trait? What is the genetic mechanism for passing on this spot? Should we even bother to use the spot to select broodfish? Also, as for the golden color, all bass fry that I have seen from these genetics are golden in color, and the gold persists to some degree as the fish grow. As far as I can tell, this gold coloration makes the fry and small fingerling bass very difficult to spot from above, and so may serve as natural camouflage. Also, in addition, the extensive and unique mottling pattern on the back is indicative of Florida bass, in my experience.

I do like X-Calibur Bass a lot but yes feel the need to divest completely from the camelot theme. Also we like the "Cannabelle Bass" or "Cannibal Bass" theme a lot.

I do believe we may have something with "Legacy Bass". Also, if and when we implement a lunker fingerling program again, these fish could be called "Legacy Lunker Bass". The name insinuates that these fish have a story, a history, and have been preserved and handed down from past. The name invites the question "what legacy?", which provides us the opportunity to tell the story of the heritage of these fish. I also really like the sound of "Golden Legacy Bass," but may wish to keep it more simple and forego coloration as basis for naming. However I am tempted, because this use of the word Golden could imply coloration as well as rank. After all, these proven genetics merit a gold medal for growth potential and overall performance.

I appreciate the input very much, and am glad to have PB participation in this effort to give our fish a proper name. There is plenty of time to decide so please continue to provide ideas.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/26/15 12:39 PM
Good to hear fro you Todd. I hope u r enjoying the cooler weather and the mountain sights of Colorado. And I am pretty sure Walt can hardly wait for his time in Colorado smile Now as for the naming of the Pure Breed Catchable Bass. I think of the names of the show dogs in the big dog shows, or the names of the pure breeds in racing horses. If u think about it they have really long names telling of their heritage. So now, I again am suggesting Golden Cannibal and adding legacy at the end. Overton's "Golden Cannibal Legacy Bass". There u go smile

Tracy
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/26/15 12:45 PM
Then again, show me a LMB that isn't a cannibal? And that includes bass purchased off the fish truck. Like the legacy angle, though.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/26/15 12:51 PM

good one sparkie, hehe
Tracy
Posted By: george1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/26/15 05:38 PM
I used "Heritage" previously, but like "Legacy" better.
G/
Turn your pond into a super legacy, use Canibalis Maximus!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 07/27/15 11:41 AM
I used "Heritage" previously, but like "Legacy" better.
G/

My final and favorite choice:
Overton LEGACY BASS
Plain - simple - say's it all!
George Glazener
I agree George!! I think we have a new name. We will continue to ponder on this subject and will make final announcements when we are back in Texas again. Thanks!!
Posted By: 3z3k3l Re: Overton Fisheries and Camelot Bell Bass - 10/26/15 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Turn your pond into a super legacy, use Canibalis Maximus!!

I think they just legalized that in 2 states... wink
© Pond Boss Forum