Pond Boss
Posted By: Hatrackr Pond Dye in Tannin Water - 05/28/15 04:56 PM
I tried to do a search if and couldn't come up with anything. Has anyone who has a pond with tannin stained water had any luck with dying their pond with aquashade or do the tannins affect the color of the dye? My pond is 1/8 acre and 10 ft deep in a heavily wooded area with no weeds as the pond is 90% shaded through out the day. Water was clear after ice out until the spring rains came and filled it back up. I am not crazy about the brown color but don't want to end up with even worse color by adding a blue dye and having the tannins make it an even darker brown.
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Dye in Tannin Water - 05/28/15 06:05 PM
Pond dye is acidic I believe , often called acid blue or acid yellow. Tannic water is acidic also. If you have acidic water then it could effect water quality. Do you know your alkalinity or ph ?
Posted By: Hatrackr Re: Pond Dye in Tannin Water - 05/28/15 06:17 PM
I have not tested the water, I wasn't aware they affected ph, I will have to test it and maybe apply lime. Would that balance out the acidity if dye was added?
Posted By: edit7279 Re: Pond Dye in Tannin Water - 05/28/15 08:07 PM
Sorry to jump in here... ewest, are you saying adding pond dye changes the ph? If so, is there an average of how much it changes?
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Dye in Tannin Water - 05/29/15 12:57 AM
Without actually testing the water, my gut feeling is that you'll never notice the change in pH. The amount of dye that goes in a pond is so insignificant compared to the whole volume of water in the pond that I doubt you'd see a change.

A little goes a LONG ways!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond Dye in Tannin Water - 06/01/15 08:01 PM
Dye vol not enough to change ph measurably. But high acid content in tannic water may effect the way the dye works.
© Pond Boss Forum