Pond Boss
Posted By: CJBS2003 Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 12:16 AM
While walking the pond this evening, I saw the overflow was still running fairly strong after the heavy rains we had last night. I walked over and checked out the base of the concrete over flow area and observed all the little GSF attempting to get up the overflow. Fortunately, there's about an 18" drop and thus far, I've yet to see any fish jump it to get into the pond. As I continued to watch I at first thought it was a water snake making his way up. He was giving it, or more likely she was trying her best to get in.

Posted By: JKB Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 12:34 AM
Yikes!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
While walking the pond this evening, I saw the overflow was still running fairly strong after the heavy rains we had last night. I walked over and checked out the base of the concrete over flow area and observed all the little GSF attempting to get up the overflow. Fortunately, there's about an 18" drop and thus far, I've yet to see any fish jump it to get into the pond. As I continued to watch I at first thought it was a water snake making his way up. He was giving it, or more likely she was trying her best to get in.

Geeze Travis. Don't keep us in suspense. What the heck is that thing? It looks like a big leech.
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 01:54 AM
American eel up from the ocean
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 02:06 AM
Yup, an American eel looking for a nice home to grow fat before swimming back out to the Sargasso Sea to spawn and die.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 02:09 AM
How cool is that? So rare these days.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 02:18 AM
I almost felt bad for her. Was trying to figure out a way to grab and put her in the pond... They're not the easiest things to handle. They squirm like worms and become giant slime balls.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 03:03 AM
I'm assuming a large eel like that in your special fishery would not be welcome diversity...right?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Attempted Invaders... - 04/22/15 04:48 PM
A lone eel or even a few would likely be no big deal.
© Pond Boss Forum