Pond Boss
Posted By: mnfish Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 03:23 AM
Picture 1

Left pic :

Right Pic:

Picture 2

Thank you
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 03:34 AM
Top photo: Top fish, GSF, bottom fish, BG. Bottom photo: Top fish, hybrid, exactly which species, I am not confident. Bottom fish, GSF.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 03:35 AM
Did these come from your pond or another body of water? Do you know what species of sunfish are present in the body of water they were caught?
Posted By: mnfish Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 04:10 AM
They were trapped from one of my ponds. BGs, GSF are both present. No hybrids were stocked.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 04:19 AM
The hybrid reminds of a GSFxLES hybrid. Is there any way fish species can enter the pond from a nearby stream or migrate up an outflow during high water?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 12:16 PM
CJ, I think you mean "GSF" as opposed to "GSH" in your first post.

'GSH' is Golden Shiner, IIRC.
Posted By: snrub Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 03:10 PM
The top fish in picture 2 sure has a bright red eye. Looks like maybe a little red dot on the ear tab too?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub
The top fish in picture 2 sure has a bright red eye. Looks like maybe a little red dot on the ear tab too?

Maybe a warmouth cross?
Posted By: poppy65 Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 05:09 PM
I stocked HBG, BG, and Redear and I get crosses that look like all of those but I'm not sure what the crosses are. It seems the GSF genes are pretty dominate in mine. Caught the biggest one so far last week. 11 and 1/2 inches long and very well filled out but long bodied instead of rounded like a bluegill. Those crosses with GSF genes will bite when nothing else will and they eat a lot of Aquamax. About all of them have red on their ear lobes and yellow coloring in their fins.
Posted By: ewest Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 05:50 PM
What a lepomis mix ! First and last look mostly GSF , second mostly BG and the third is a mutt. Very unusual patterning on #3.Has GSF mouth and fins , possible BG side bars with odd patterning.

If sample is by fishing then one would expect a high % of GSF as they are the most aggressive at feeding.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/20/15 06:35 PM
I am glad to read these posts because I was beginning to really doubt myself at identifying lepomis. BG and GSF no problem but we have all these other ones that I can't identify. I love the term mutt BG!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/21/15 06:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
CJ, I think you mean "GSF" as opposed to "GSH" in your first post.

'GSH' is Golden Shiner, IIRC.

Yup, you are correct.
Posted By: mthompson Re: Need help with ID'ing - 04/28/15 07:58 PM
#3 could have Warmouth genes...warmouth do have olive drab stripes on their operculum, and reddish/orange eyes (sometimes).

All Lepomis are pretty loose with their mates in confined spaces....Greenies are especially lecherous.
© Pond Boss Forum